advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

That is a very broad brush you are using there.

Opera has about as large a range of styles contained as any other musical genre.

From Handel and Mozart through Beethoven to Verdi, and Puccini and beyond into the moderns like Berg, and the post moderns like Glass!

I find the greater part of opera difficult to take, but I doubt many can be repelled all that much by at least four of Mozart's greatest operas!!!

Sweeping. Just the Scottish ones, or all bagpipes..? I find some of the Uillean pipe music very listenable, as well as some of the stuff from Galician musicians. There are more:

• Musette de cour: A French open ended smallpipe, believed by some to be an ancestor of the Northumbrian smallpipes, used for classical compositions in 'folk' style in the 18th Century French court. The shuttle design for the drones was recently revived and added to a mouth blown Scottish smallpipe.
  • Biniou (or biniou kozh "old style bagpipe"): a mouth blown bagpipe from Brittany, a Celtic region of northwestern France. It is the most famous bagpipe of France. The great Highland bagpipe is also used in marching bands called bagadoù and known as biniou braz ("great bagpipe").
  • Veuze, found in Western France around Nantes and into the Breton marshes.
  • Cabrette: bellows-blown, played in the Auvergne region of central France.
  • Chabrette (or chabretta): found in the Limousin region of central France.
  • Bodega (or craba): found in Languedoc region of southern France, made of an entire goat skin.
  • Boha: found in the regions of Gascony and Landes in southwestern France, notable for having no separate drone, but a drone and chanter bored into a single piece of wood.
  • Musette bressane: found in the Bresse region of eastern France
  • Cornemuse du Centre (or musette du Centre) (bagpipes of Central France) are of many different types, some mouth blown. They can be found in the Bourbonnais, Berry, Nivernais, and Morvan regions of France and in different tonalities.
  • Chabrette poitevine: found in the Poitou region of west-central France, but now extremely rare.
  • Caramusa: a small bagpipe with a single parallel drone, native to Corsica
  • Musette bechonnet, named from its creator, Joseph Bechonnet (1820-1900 AD) of Effiat.
  • Bousine, a small droneless bagpipe played in Normandy. (fr:Bousine)
  • Loure, a Norman bagpipe which gives its name to the French Baroque dance loure.
  • Pipasso, a bagpipe native to Picardy in northern France
  • Sourdeline, an extinct bellows-blown pipe, likely of Italian origin
  • Samponha, a double-chantered pipe played in the Pyrenees
  • Vèze (or vessie, veuze à Poitiers), played in Poitou
Can't all be bad Vinnie surely..

Compared to the Breton bagpipes the Scottish ones are a full symphony.

Come on rap music makes serious statments, both lyrical and muscial, what does mod revival do? Laughable. Please cringe worthy genres only!
Could you please translate that which sounds like 'Yo muthafucka ma bitch just a ho' to me, into some 'serious statement'?

Am not a fan of the instrument called a concertina, I enjoy folk music and used to go to folk nights but that instrument seems overly popular on folk nights.

I actually rather like the Concertina when played well. Whilst accompanying my ageing music hall comic Father in Law to 'gigs', I was fortunate to meet the late Joe Maley, a Glaswegian who went out into the Music Hall Theatres as 'Jack Easy' and played assorted Concertinas with great skill.

This is Noel Hill

I was going to agree with this completely, then I remembered bagpipe music...

Whilst I'm not especially fond of the atonal Scottish version.. there are versions of bagpipes all over the world, includng a Greek/Cretan version called, I believe 'Haskamandouras'.. or thereabouts ..

But the Irish version.. which I'm not going to attempt to spell this late after a few beers.. is a whole other ball game a beautiful instrument..never better used than here...

Could you please translate that which sounds like 'Yo muthafucka ma bitch just a ho' to me, into some 'serious statement'?
Yes rap has a misogynist element just like heavy metal. It also has a serious protest side to it, check out Rob G ' Court is now in session', an awesome slice of 80s Hiphop.

Chill Rob G – Court Is Now In Session Lyrics
Never feeling insignificant I can make a difference
You need an example use this as a for instance
Put your mouth on pause put your brain in gear
Alleyoops as a brass raise your glass and cheer
As you get on your good foot I hope that you never put
Your trust in unjust suckas who disgust
Ways of getting paid by criminal means
They're having a sale on minimal dreams
Doomed to fail they caught your tail
Your butt's in jail, you gets no bail
The scale was tipped, but you ain't little
There's a rock and a hard place, you're caught in the middle
Need a lawyer to litigate some legal dribble
Now you're back on the streets like it ain't no riddle
How ling will this last, you seem to love crime
Today you're out here, tomorrow you do crime
Word is bond, armed your brain is you
Yo, the state is cold ready to prosecute
Oh you think you're smarter, the system's older
The ace has been dealt, you're now the holder
The name is Chill Rob, there is a good God
My rep is not scarred, I won't commit fraud
Can't say I lied, there's nothing to hide
I say with much pride "Court is Now in Session"
Friday night we out playing the corner
Not because we hoods, cause we wanna
No drugs being sold, we ain't dirty
Polaroids in effect, watch the birdie
Turned around, heard the sounds of sirens
The boys, they collared me, asked me where I'd been
I told them that I was right here all night
Looking at each other they smiled and said "All right
You think you're smart, you wanna be tough
Get your ass in the car, you're coming with us"
I said "To where, for what? I ain't guilty
My name is Rob G., you just can't milk me"
Now I'm sitting in a courtroom all day
I claim I'm innocent but that's what they all say
But to my brothers lined up in the hallway
Take in the type of price I might have to pay
And finally the crime held jails me
Seems I'm made to escape the daily
Routine I'm too clean you got nothing on me
Arrest that sucker for being so corny
I'll run the truth, make it plain and simple
Got popped by big shots as big as a pimple
Snatch him off the street drop him in the can
Chain him like an animal, forget he's a man
This might be a little off of some to eat
But this is food for thought that I speak
If you can't stand the heat, I think you know the rest
This is live, not a test, court is in session
It's a pity the way the city treats the poor
I got congressmen counsilmen, tell me what are they for
I write letters, or better, I even give them a call
But they kick back, cool out in my city hall
I pay the tax, they max, but they ain't passing off
They try to beat me, they treat me like they think that I'm soft
Pure power, the hour is later than you think
While they're sleeping I'm creeping because I'm on the brink
Of insanity, vanity keeps my hygene clean
Stop dissing, listen and you'll know what I mean
It's not mystery, history keeps repeating itself
I last longer, I'm stronger, my rhyme's completing itself
I put the pen to the pad and let the words flow
I put the mic to my mouth to make your mind grow
So nighty nighty alrighty, I'm putting heads to bed
You sound tired you're fired up over what I said
There's no stopping I'm cold dropping you toy boys
No bull, I'm hitting you with the dope noise
Court is in session

Italo is a great genre and something that I love passionately but in terms of relevance, style, sophistication and good taste it's a long way from conventional

Being a part of the 'mod' youth cult back in the 80s, we used to listen to the 'mod revival' music of the late 70s/early 80s (yes a few years too late), and the original mod music of the 60s like the Who and Small faces. Most of us quickly realised the revival stuff was pap, the worst kind of pap, musicians and song writers so utterly devoid of talent or the merest flicker of intelligence! I cannot listen to it now without grimacing, anyone else care to exercise their musical demons?
You’ll know this one Frankie-

I could now smell their breath
They smelt of pubs and wormwood scrubs
And too many right wing meetings

Ok..."To all those with an Oedipus complex, if you don't keep your female terrier on a leash, don't be surprised if you end up with a litter of puppies" Good advice I would say.

Italo is a great genre and something that I love passionately but in terms of relevance, style, sophistication and good taste it's a long way from conventional

Yeah; there is a level of 'context' required when listening.
Listening to 'Mixed up in the hague' for the first time was at once enlightening and had me questioning my tastes - now it's firmly my favourite mix ever and IF in my top 5 dj's.

Oom-pah and sea shanties. ;-)

Not much wrong with Sea Shanties per se.. It's just that there is an unfortunate current vogue , especially in sea ports, for the 'novelty' and 'authenticity', of fifteen middle aged blokes with beards, polo necks and sailor caps, standing about with hands in pockets singing in unison. This is most likely very far from both the dress code, and the singing style of the original work songs.

Bizarrely there are some who seem to enjoy what sounds to me rather like test tones... with maybe a metal bucket being hit now and then... often at random... Try R6 about 4pm ish on a Sunday....

To humour you, there's a wide range of music I like... or maybe as everything I like shares the qualities of having a melody you could sing, more than 2 chords, usually a defined beginning, middle and end in some way, often key changes, maybe a middle eight, and requires good musicianship then I like a narrow range of music!

I guess some good example of songs that tick all the boxes for me would be "God only knows" by The Beach Boys, "Body and Soul" (Billy Holiday preferably), "Every time we say goodbye" Ella Fitzgerald... When it comes to songwriting quality and craftsmanship these (and similar quality) are the "Faberge eggs" to me. But I may be more in the mood for The Who or Tom Waits (the early stuff obviously!) on a given evening...

However I like stuff from dub reggae to Motorhead encompassing folk, prog, classical, electronica, blues and jazz in between... it all has a tune though!

Have you come across this chap, I feel it could be right up your street.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jerobeamfenderson1

Pete

Yeah; there is a level of 'context' required when listening.
Listening to 'Mixed up in the hague' for the first time was at once enlightening and had me questioning my tastes - now it's firmly my favourite mix ever and IF in my top 5 dj's.

Anything that has Kraftwerk and Patrick Cowley on it is a winner in my books.

Anything that has Kraftwerk and Patrick Cowley on it is a winner in my books.

Agreed. Was thinking more Doctor's Cat, Mr Flagio, Charlie and the like; to my 90' techno ears they were cheese - now they're among my favourites ever...

advertisement

Back