advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+11)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sunday Times has better news, but they are saying it's being done behind May's back and the options being considered are only May's deal and 'no deal'. A Russian roulette referendum. Though Parliament may be able to legislate to include Remain.

DufULFzX4AEwPN6.jpg:small

If there's no Remain option on the ballot paper then I will be spoiling it.

Sunday Times story is being flatly denied by Lidington and Barwell.

Of course, they might be playing silly buggers and lying. But if they are still at the stage of playing silly buggers with just weeks to go, you have to worry that we'll end up with 'no deal'.

"Gavin Barwell‏Verified account @GavinBarwell
Happy to confirm I am *not* planning a 2nd referendum with political opponents (or anyone else to anticipate the next question)"

Presumably May turns up to the Commons tomorrow and tells us 'nothing has changed' and negotiations over the backstop are continuing and she's hopeful of getting the legal assurances she wants by January 21.

A key quote from https://www.ft.com/content/0dee56c0-fdfa-11e8-ac00-57a2a826423e : "So how then did the party of Peel, Churchill and Macmillan, the party of cautious pragmatism, succumb to such fervent ideological self-immolation over the EU? It is a mood captured well by one hardliner: “I don’t think we’ll be poorer out, but if you told me my family would have to eat grass I’d still have voted to leave.” "

Let's hope we don't have another hot summer next year. We might need all the grass we can get.

Treeza - Blair is insulting the office he once held.
Purest comedy gold.

The creature known as theresa may evinces very little sense of self awareness. I suspect she actually believes that she's doing a magnificent job. Probably thinks that her true position in life should have been queen treeza.

Of course, to avoid insulting the office she currently holds, she should be telling the nation that brexit is a pretty bad idea and holding a general election with the bald facts put in front of the electorate. That would be her being honest with herself and the nation whose interest she seems to be so preoccupied with.

What a grimy, backward and insular political party - they resemble the DUP on steroids. The great tragedy is that the Labour opposition are polling neck and neck with them!

Sky just had The Johnson’s brother (Joe?) arguing quite articulately for a second referendum. Sadly this was followed by Labour’s truly awful Kate Hoey who sounded just like Farage, Banks or any other far-right scum promising unicorns, arguing to renege on money owed, and generally understanding any of the issues in play. A shameful disgrace that reflects on her party. Nicola Sturgeon on now showing what a proper political argument looks like...

PS Hoey is pure DUP in many respects. That came over in the interview, i.e. I suspect much of her ugly insular UKIP-style nationalism and protectionism comes from an entrenched NI unionist position.

The labour supporters on here will denounce it, but Rawnsley hit the nail in the head in his Observer piece

The most deserved losers are the Brexit ultras. They finally launched their leadership coup and failed miserably. Without a plausible plan or a credible leader, these are the men who put the ass into assassin. After all their prating about “taking back control”, they couldn’t even organise the removal of a mortally wounded prime minister. The Brexit fanatics have always been a minority of a minority and now no one can be in any doubt about that. And this same gang claim they could negotiate a superior agreement with the EU or handle a no-deal Brexit in 100 days that are left? Oh, please. Yet there was no humility in defeat from the ultras. It was with a poisonous lack of grace that they continued to demand Mrs May’s resignation even after she had prevailed in the confidence vote that they forced upon their party. You are entitled to belly laugh the next time that anyone tries to commend Jacob Rees-Mogg as a courteous gentleman. The mask of phoney civility slipped when this serpent in a double-breasted suit continued to hiss for Mrs May’s head after his coup had failed.

There may be all sorts of complicated explanations for Labour’s failure, but I think the root cause is pretty simple. The party’s leadership has been rumbled. Labour’s own version of fantasy Brexit has been to pretend that it could negotiate a deal that gave Britain all the benefits of EU membership from the outside. The voters aren’t buying this bogus prospectus. Despite it all, the public trusts Mr Corbyn with Brexit even less than it trusts Mrs May. People can see that the Labour leadership obsesses about Brexit process questions because it doesn’t want to grip the issues of principle. The endless ducking and diving about when they might call a no-confidence vote against the government makes Labour look like opportunists desperately hoping to luck into office on the back of Brexit turmoil rather than a party with the national interest at heart.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...es-betrayed-britain-lurches-towards-the-abyss

There’s a vile little plonker from the DM on Marr just now claiming we don’t know what the final deal is and we have lots of Brexit options still open to choose from and a referendum is a bad idea cos we don’t even know what the question should be.

-

I wouldn't tar the whole party with that particular stinky brush. And - guess what? - if members try to get rid of idiots like Hoey, Field etc. they're immediately branded hard-left/anti-semitic (delete as applicable) thugs by the usual media suspects including the BBC.

I'm old enough to remember when anti-EU sentiments in the Labour party were mainly confined to the left. Was Tony Benn (for example) an idiot? Did his anti-EU views make him 'gammon'?

First thing I teach my students at university—check the credentials of the author.

Pity the BBC, Channel 4 and ITN news can't manage it either when interviewing 'think-tanks'.

Indeed. This seems for the BBC to have got as far as their R4 "Feedback" programme discussing the radical idea that people from 'think tanks' should only appear if they fully disclose who their financial backers are - particularly as they often claim 'charity' status when clearly engaged in political activity.

However this radical thought seems not to have got though to BBC management or their News/Current Affairs/Politics wallahs... So they still appear as if 'experts'.

Well, the whole article is Zil-bound. Might've been written by ET.
Unfortunately it contains, if sifted, more than a few grains of truth

"To wish suffering on people who are weaker and poorer than you is disgusting and it is no less disgusting when Jeremy Corbynrather than Jacob Rees-Mogg is hoping that the misery of others will advance his political programme."

That's Andrew Rawnsley article eviscerating the Tories and Labour is pretty much spot on. The Tories are doing their usual c**t soup thing albeit with an added layer of gross incompetence and Labour are doing the political equivalent of missing an open goal from the edge of the 6-yard box.

No doubt people will be along soon to tell us why we must stick to the secret Labour plan or we will fall into the Tory trap and save May's government.

That's Andrew Rawnsley article eviscerating the Tories and Labour is pretty much spot on. The Tories are doing their usual c**t soup thing albeit with an added layer of gross incompetence and Labour are doing the political equivalent of missing an open goal from the edge of the 6-yard box.

No doubt people will be along soon to tell us why we must stick to the secret Labour plan or we will fall into the Tory trap and save May's government.
This ^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back