advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+11)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin L

High-tech low-life
I have no idea why you lump them together as though they were a comedy duo. Crace is brilliant. A classy, inclusive writer with a lively style. Hyde is just trying to get a reaction all the time and her style is sh1te and hard to read.

You don’t like her style. That’s a valid point if only your personal opinion. Getting a reaction... Isn’t that what writing a humorous opinion piece is about?

Oh dear. Did it strike a nerve?

Well, there’s another bibulous Tory, Viscount St. David’s - he didn’t like uppity Guianans coming in and making speeches against the Brexit either. He got away with, “If this is what we should expect from immigrants, send them back to their stinking jungles" But I’m afraid went to prison when he publicly proposed someone should kill Gina Miller.

Is his racial background significant in this context?

Is his racial background significant in this context?

I would say that his heritage quite possibly is. He is presumably the descendent of slaves from the British colonial era, and he studied African and Oriental history. He is the MP for a poor constituency with a high proportion of people of Afro-Caribbean heritage and a history of racial confrontation and social problems. He is a member of the metropolitan left, a flagwaver for British declinism, and he seems to fully embrace the narrative of British colonialism as having been universally a blot on mankind's history. He has something of a track record of making mischief by misrepresenting history, as in 1 million Indians died in WW2 in order that there could be a European Union. He has an axe to grind, and grind it he apparently does.

So an ET perfect storm ....unpalatable home truths delivered with aplomb by "the sort of person" we were hoping to see the back of....

And who is 'we' in that context? It certainly isn't me.

Unpalatable, certainly, but only in the context of the fact that truths they are not, home or otherwise. They are selective and mischievous misrepresentations of facts, not truths.

Why is a version of the Norway option still being mentioned by people in the press when it's already been shot down in flames?

Well, there’s another bibulous Tory, Viscount St. David’s - he didn’t like uppity Guianans coming in and making speeches against the Brexit either. He got away with, “If this is what we should expect from immigrants, send them back to their stinking jungles" But I’m afraid went to prison when he publicly proposed someone should kill Gina Miller.

Gina Miller is British-Guyanese, not French-Guianan (or Guyanaise!)

Alistair Campbell on Newsnight now doing a fantastic job of confirming the average Leave voter's impression that the hard-Remain crew are arrogant fools who've learned nothing from the last two years. I don't rate Remain's chances in a second referendum with idiots like this leading the charge.

Possibly the most arrogant, obnoxious, nasty, bullying piece of shit I ever had the misfortune to meet during my time in journalism.

You are right about Remain's chances if they are putting out front people like Cameron and Blair. Even though I voted remain I'd be seriously tempted to vote leave in a second referendum to spite tw@ts like Campbell.

You don’t like her style. That’s a valid point if only your personal opinion. Getting a reaction... Isn’t that what writing a humorous opinion piece is about?

My point is that her style is jarring and her only reason for writing is to get a reaction. You like her, fine. I think she's crap.

Your assuming the EU would want them back.

I can't be sure, but suspect they would for various reasons.

Scotland voted 'remain' and has for a long time been a different kind of place from England. (I write this as someone who was born and spent the first half of their life in London, then 'emigrated' to Scotland.)

During the Scots IndyRef one of the key points the 'NO' side trotted out was that to stay in the EU, Scotland had to remain a part of the UK. The EU essentially confirmed this at the time. This assertion by the 'NO' becomes a falsehood now as voting 'NO' seems to condemn Scotland to *leaving* the EU *against their will*.

Previously, Spain was the main opponent of accepting the idea that Scotland could leave the UK whilst remaining in the EU. (Reason being its own internal regional problems, and wanting to send the same message to them as a deterrent.) But with the UK leaving it will no longer be an EU country, and if Scotland *does* become independent, it can be regarded as any other applicant to join.

Given all the current EU problems, I suspect they'd welcome a keen new member, particularly one that *seeks* migration from elsewhere and has a far more sympathetic view of the EU than England.

All that said, I'm not necessarily a fan of Scottish Independence (1), and I'm sure it would be contested. But recent events make me think that if the UK leaves, then there is a plausible path out of the UK and into the EU for Scotland. And it will be hard for the UK to forbid this given what is happening.

{1) I voted 'NO' last time. Mainly because I could see the peril of having to *ask* a bigger combination to 'allow' us to leave *and* that *they* would have to pass the legislation setting all the terms of the 'divorce'. A concern which the UK should have thought about wrt the EU, but simply got the magic unicorn instead with voters who assumed we 'had left' the day after the vote simply by voting.

I've probably mentioned it before but he keeps his hat on when on a train. It's not as though it's going to fvcking well rain inside the carriages of the 19:50 from Waterloo to Twickenham. Twat.

FWIW from experience I've found that I need to wear a hat a lot of the time for the sake of my *eyes*. I don't know if Cable has a similar problem, but any bright light in my field of view tends to dazzle my sight and can be painful.

Given all the current EU problems, I suspect they'd welcome a keen new member, particularly one that *seeks* migration from elsewhere and has a far more sympathetic view of the EU than England.

All that said, I'm not necessarily a fan of Scottish Independence (1), and I'm sure it would be contested. But recent events make me think that if the UK leaves, then there is a plausible path out of the UK and into the EU for Scotland. And it will be hard for the UK to forbid this given what is happening.

In that event Scotland may find itself the favoured destination of youngish smarter English emigrants.

Possibly the most arrogant, obnoxious, nasty, bullying piece of shit I ever had the misfortune to meet during my time in journalism.

You are right about Remain's chances if they are putting out front people like Cameron and Blair. Even though I voted remain I'd be seriously tempted to vote leave in a second referendum to spite tw@ts like Campbell.

That is emotion overriding logic and reason Harry, and is a big reason we are now in this current mess!

I quite often wear a hat on a plane. It's a flat cap that I pull down to shade my eyes,and I'm usually asleep before they have finished the safety announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back