advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not read that he'd wish back 'that era's poverty or the atrocities of empire or the wars'. Not that I am a fan of his (dunno much about him really) but I doubt he'd go that far.
Yes, once you adjust your perception to the correct one, that brexiteer politicians are self serving, principal-free areas who just want to keep their snouts in the trough, all becomes clear.

Yes, once you adjust your perception to the correct one, that brexiteer politicians are self serving, principal-free areas who just want to keep their snouts in the trough, all becomes clear.

Indeed. A bit like MEPs, and much of the remain diaspora too. Self-interest knows no frontiers.

Hmm..well here's one pro-remainer politician 2 tables down from us in one of Strasbourg's most famous restaurants. Actually I thought it was a politician, but when I looked again I realised it was only a disgusting pig with his snout in the trough, turning up for free food even after he had no official business here.

43793834262_23ef49464a_z.jpg

He has form too:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...y-taxpayer-funded-trips-alex-salmond-tasmina/

Sorry it's the Telegraph. I didn't think a credible source was that important, as I saw the fat cnut with my own eyes. Tasmina was just to the right, behind my mate's ugly noggin.

I think this is unfair to the Victorians.
I don't think many Victorians actually wanted to oppress the workers and colonials, they just ignored the problem. If it came to their attention, it was justified in bringing civilisation/religion

I don't think many Victorians actually wanted to oppress the workers and colonials, they just ignored the problem. If it came to their attention, it was justified in bringing civilisation/religion
I suspect there might also be an element of 'if it doesn't affect me and mine, why should I be concerned?' too.

The VIctorian era was a bit of a mixed bag, wasn't it? While there was undoubtedly a great deal of exploitation and repression going on here and overseas, at the same time there were the beginnings of some great social reforms. Plus it was a great age for scientific and engineering invention and progress, to such an extent that we are still living off the legacy of Victorian public works, like most of our railways, roads, sewers and civic buildings.

Has any era in recorded history been anything other than a mixed bag? Anyone who says we can 'recapture' a previous era is either lying or deluded.

Has any era in recorded history been anything other than a mixed bag? Anyone who says we can 'recapture' a previous era is either lying or deluded.
Indeed, and it gets up my nose when people like Johnson and Mogg, who have never done anything useful in their lives, start banging on about Victorian values.

Indeed, and it gets up my nose when people like Johnson and Mogg, who have never done anything useful in their lives, start banging on about Victorian values.

They haven't got themselves in mind for the Victorian values gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back