advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Scottish secretary is in New Zealand talking about trade. Nick Robinson on Today continuously asking what we will be able to trade post-Brexit with NZ that we can't through the EU.

Answer came there none–apart for some 'possible' agri-tech stuff.

What does the world need from us that we can't offer now? And what do we need we can't get? They are the questions we should be asking.

Stephen

The Scottish secretary is in New Zealand talking about trade. Nick Robinson on Today continuously asking what we will be able to trade post-Brexit with NZ that we can't through the EU.

Answer came there none–apart for some 'possible' agri-tech stuff.

What does the world need from us that we can't offer now? And what do we need we can't get? They are the questions we should be asking.

Stephen
Normally this would be media silly season material, but it is last minute back of the fag packet action by Her Majesty’s Government in the face of the biggest economic and political abruption since WW2.
We don’t need any ****ing wool, weve got 7 million sheep already! and Tourism? You cannot move for tourists in Edinburgh right now. Budget hotel rooms are £300 a night- the tourist economy is booming. Mundell is seen as Theresa May’s loathsome court jester in Scotland. I’m surprised he’s not on antidepressants. He’s walking advertisement for separation.

I imagine the effort expended on drawing up that response to the petition was rather less than that taken by any one person on signing it.

just enough effort to produce a snort of derision and a chuckle of contempt as the tories plough ahead on the good ship ss brexit

Michel Barnier has just kicked Theresa May’s Brexit proposals into touch. Saying, somewhat unsurprisingly, that they "pose a threat to the future of the European single market".

The article was published in 20 newspapers around Europe.

They are getting ready to tighten their belt and beginning the necessary positioning. To use that incredibly silly macho phrase uttered by Hunt; I wonder who is going to blink first?

Isn't it startling that people operating at that level think this is a game of chicken?

The bit that I really struggle with is the sheer ineptitude. Using that kind of language (blink first) frames the negotiation in a utterly unhelpful way. And this 'by accident' thing is just complete nonsense on every level.

Oddly, and not at all what he meant, this whole brexit thing did indeed happen by accident, but it's a Conservative Party accident and so we will damn well have a glorious red white and blue accident.

Isn't it startling that people operating at that level think this is a game of chicken?

it's simply obscene that it's allowed to continue, carried out by extremely highly paid representatives. and against what used to be our closest trading partners, friends and allies. the proceeding damage is colossal.

They are getting ready to tighten their belt and beginning the necessary positioning. To use that incredibly silly macho phrase uttered by Hunt; I wonder who is going to blink first?

Nobody is going to blink first until the UK Brexit hatchback slams into the front of the EU juggernaut at 2 x 60mph. Then what?

I imagine the effort expended on drawing up that response to the petition was rather less than that taken by any one person on signing it.
Bit of respect there. The response asserts that the leave vote was the willy of the people. Or something.

The bit that I really struggle with is the sheer ineptitude. Using that kind of language (blink first) frames the negotiation in a utterly unhelpful way. And this 'by accident' thing is just complete nonsense on every level.

Oddly, and not at all what he meant, this whole brexit thing did indeed happen by accident, but it's a Conservative Party accident and so we will damn well have a glorious red white and blue accident.

It's not an accident. It's a deliberate.

aa5fafc8-011d-4fad-a0a4-4412c41fa356.jpg

So victory smells of juniper berries now. It used to smell of Napalm. What a strange world we live in.

And, for balance:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmhaff/857/85703.htm
(this is the exec. summary, the full report is also available)

A pretty damning report from the Commons Select Committee on Immigration on, amongst other things: how immigration was weaponised during the Brexit debate, all the while the UK had (has) powers at its disposal to address many of the issues under EU law in any event.

But do take note of this interesting Op.Ed. by Barnier:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/news/ambitious-partnership-uk-after-brexit-2018-aug-02_en which puts a more optimistic slant on things.
Conciliatory offer of a night in the tank for the Brexit disorderly? The British position is still so far away from the status quo and the chaos inside the government so intractable that I still think a disorderly exit will only be delayed by an emergency membership extension.

But do take note of this interesting Op.Ed. by Barnier:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/news/ambitious-partnership-uk-after-brexit-2018-aug-02_en which puts a more optimistic slant on things.

Nothing new there though is there? It's what the EU has said all along (and what the UK would have had part of implementing as a policy).

We should, at least, know this—

"The UK knows well the benefits of the Single Market. It has contributed to shaping our rules over the last 45 years. And yet, some UK proposals would undermine our Single Market which is one of the EU's biggest achievements."

Stephen

It does seem that Westminster is the main (only?) problem for everyone affected by Brexit. Whodathunkit?

Barnier is limited by instructions of European Parliament that specifically forbid Barniers team to do anything else than remind UK they signed a deal and get agreement on the legal words version of that already signed deal. That is the position since december and will be the position till 29th of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back