advertisement

Wam on the verge of change

Yes, he was banned there about 10 years ago, RD also left around that time iirc..

Coincidentally as the Wam has suddenly become more like its old self, AA has gone extremely quiet and humdrum, bit of a coincidence methinks... ;)

It that the one that registered here under many, many usernames trying to spam-link to an idiot-blog called ‘Firkum Hall’ or something? His major claim to fame is he is the reason pfm has a ‘flood-check’ where you have to wait a minute or so before sending a PM to another user. Even with that he still sent hundreds of the things which must have taken him all night over multiple nights. Took me about two seconds to delete the lot with one button press! ;-)

It that the one that registered here under many, many usernames trying to spam-link to an idiot-blog called ‘Firkum Hall’ or something? His major claim to fame is he is the reason pfm has a flood-check where you have to wait a minute or so before sending a PM to another user. Even with that he still sent hundreds of the things which must have taken him all night over multiple nights. Took me about two seconds to delete the lot with one button press! ;-)
Yes, that was indeed one of Rudy's aliases.

We don't believe you.

<sigh> OK, you asked for it. Here's the post in all its mind-numbing, humourless, fence-sitting neutrality:

'IMO, there are two issues at stake with any upgrade.

1. Is this new kit/accessory/tweak a worthwhile improvement over what I had before? (This must be a subjective decision, based on the individual's perception of such things as value for money, diminishing returns, amount of hassle required, etc).

2. Do I care whether anyone else agrees that it's an improvement?

If your only concern is 1), then all 'explanations' and 'proofs' are beside the point. You have spent your own money, you perceive an improvement, you have nothing to prove to anyone else. However, if 2) also matters, then you introduce the concept of proof, because you need/want to convince others that the improvement is 'real' and not just imaginary. But proof implies successfully demonstrating a difference: 'Here is my system without the new kit/accessory/tweak, and here it is in its improved state'. If the other person agrees, job done. If they don't agree, do you question your own opinion, or do you assume they're deaf or otherwise incapable of appreciating the finer things in life?

Even at this point, however, explanations aren't needed; they only come into it if you want them to. Once you do embark upon explanations, however, you would be wise to acquaint yourself with the technicalities of what you're trying to explain, otherwise you'll end up resorting to bluster, hand-waving and assertion.'

The wam management was always a clueless bunch of semi-literate idiots attempting to convince others that they knew their audio arses from their elbows. Their big break came with the Wam show and, by inference, the management gained some credibility. Unbelievably, James managed to sell the forum - I still struggle with who was stupid enough to buy it. Anyway, today we have the reality that it is struggling as a business because it just doesn’t have credability - the reason is simple enough. A bunch of clueless twonks talking nonsense on a forum doesn’t actually make a knowledge base that others value.

Last edited:
Anyway, today we have the reality that it is struggling as a business because it just doesn’t have credability - the reason is simple enough. A bunch of clueless twonks talking nonsense on a forum doesn’t actually make a knowledge base that others value.

A forum is primarily a social media platform, the knowledge base is but one aspect. FWIW I actually prune ‘knowledge base’ to save database space! The music, classic and DIY areas are all intact, but the faster moving off topic and audio areas tends to get knocked back to 4 or 5 years from last post when I can be bothered to do it. The classified area should be to two months, but I haven’t done it for a fair while. The social aspect is the key; if the community fails the forum fails. That’s not to say a firum can’t be fixed or change, e.g. Groovehandle successfully morphed into ZeroGain through a change of ownership, but the membership is always the key.

The so called social aspect, the sharing of ideas and views, is what keeps me coming back to pfm, because I’m not not one of those ‘forum loyal’ members. Once the social aspect devolves into a ‘care in the community’ aspect where the emphasis is on pets, holidays, gardens, random words etc. my interest moves on (this includes political blogging by half-wits).

Last edited:
The Wam was always about the classified ads, which inspired a maniacal box-swapping that was on the verge of pathological for some of its members. For the rest of us it at least inspired a constant fantasy of box swapping, and some rather nice deals. The new owner took the peculiar decision to close the classifieds, and it was this, rather than the purge of the deplorables, that killed the forum. Now I see that the Classifieds are back, with some rather tasty items, and already my consumer lust is coming back. Probably just as well I'm skint.

i thought this sort of thing (talking about other people on other forums) is not permitted here -- and for good reason!

mods -- can we please kill this hateful, gossipy thread????

The Wam was always about the classified ads, which inspired a maniacal box-swapping that was on the verge of pathological for some of its members. For the rest of us it at least inspired a constant fantasy of box swapping, and some rather nice deals. The new owner took the peculiar decision to close the classifieds, and it was this, rather than the purge of the deplorables, that killed the forum. Now I see that the Classifieds are back, with some rather tasty items, and already my consumer lust is coming back. Probably just as well I'm skint.
I thought the rejigging of the Wam classifieds was part of an attempt to monetise the whole thing?

The classifieds were unfortunately targeted by arsewipes who would buy at a good price and sell on elsewhere at a profit,happened to me once,bit of a giveaway when your user name is the same on the auction site.

advertisement

Back