advertisement

Wam on the verge of change

Thank you. It's one of the Tones Hi-Fi Songbook items (there were 80 at last count!) with which I won't bore you, except with my favourite Upgrading Song:

Dough for gear, that’s really dear

’Ray! From better up to best!

Me, for me, ‘cos I can hear

Far, far better than the rest

So, why needled, filled with dread?

La-tterly heard better, so

Tee-tering on new upgrade

Which shall bring us back to dough-oh-oh-oh

Another reason I hated the Wam. Juvenile, pathetic nonsense. Not clever or funny.

I used to like the Wam when it was easy on the eye and people didn't get easily offended. That was its raison d'etre as far as I could see. The DIY section was all open bafles and valve amps and it was good. Then people started getting precious about the superiority of their own points of views and felt they were above criticism and it shortly descended into 5hit after that. Hopefully it will come back as a robust alternative, I doubt it though, it's too Frank Zappa these days.

He was famous (notorious?) for his hatred of the Linn Sondek, which he disparaged endlessly - but then revealed that he'd owned four of the things (sequentially, not simultaneously)! I think he ended up with an SME of some sort.
He wasn't all bad then?

What concept were you floating? If it wasn’t fettling your kit, offering free deliveries of giveaway items from Penzance to Sheffield or sweary parking stories involving a knuckle duster to the genitalia, then I could see why it wouldn’t gain any traction.

It was one of my dull, 'one the one hand this, on the other hand that' attempts to bridge the gap between objectivism and subjectivism. It didn't even have any jokes in it.

It was one of my dull, 'one the one hand this, on the other hand that' attempts to bridge the gap between objectivism and subjectivism. It didn't even have any jokes in it.
All I can say dear, is you don’t have to be Sophocles to work out how that was going to end.

Wam and 'values' in the same sentence? Surely some mistake.

My short experience of it was a cess pit of oddballs, bullies and knowalls.
Evan Davis this morning on BBC R4 Sweet Reason suggesting that social media and internet forum habitués split into two broad camps: those who enjoy giving offence, and those who enjoy taking it. You seem to have a foot firmly in both camps.

NB. This is an attempt at mild humour and not intended to cause offence.

I think there's more traffic on this thread than the 'wam itself..
Well if they've let Rudy and Dunn back on there, they and their respective coat-tail hangers will be driving up the post count, which will help the failing 'wam gather a few more pennies for the meter from the raft of advertising on display.

Evan Davis this morning on BBC R4 Sweet Reason suggesting that social media and internet forum habitués split into two broad camps: those who enjoy giving offence, and those who enjoy taking it. You seem to have a foot firmly in both camps.

NB. This is an attempt at mild humour and not intended to cause offence.

There's a third group. ;-)

he was on there years ago, remember him, but not sure exactly when from... must be around 5-10 years ago?

Other than pfm I post regularly on Steve Hoffman’s site as has so much mastering info etc. I only really bother with others if I’m actually trying to get information on something, e.g. I’ll always search Audio Asylum for opinions on specific valves, vintage carts etc, same with Audio Karma, but that’s about it aside from a couple of manufacturer specific forums such as Klipsch forum, or the Tannoy & Quad Yahoo groups (but the Yahoo interface is so awful it is pretty much unusable). I used to post on Groovehandle/ZeroGain but that’s dead now. I spend so much time here I can’t really be bothered with anything else!

Yes, Hoffman Forum where I moderate, here and DIYAudio forums are my main Audio/Music related homes, I will view WAM and Audio Asylum.

advertisement

Back