advertisement

Wam on the verge of change

i thought this sort of thing (talking about other people on other forums) is not permitted here -- and for good reason!

mods -- can we please kill this hateful, gossipy thread????

Great idea. The ex-Wam bullies do enough sniping on here as it is. Needs nipping in the bud or they'll be dripping their poison here and ruining an excellent forum

Perhaps more for Tony or the mods to comment, but I've noticed some distinctly Wam-like turns of phrase on this thread, some apparently edited away now, but which don't fit well with Tony's family-friendly ethos.

Not the point,I wouldn't crap on members of any forum I belong to,maybe I'm to honest.
What is the point? You sold something for a price I presume you were happy with (if you weren't then you're stupid) and then the buyer went and sold it for more. What do you care happens to something you've already sold. You could have ebayed it yourself?

Are folk who camped out on other forums going back now?

tenor.gif

What is the point? You sold something for a price I presume you were happy with (if you weren't then you're stupid) and then the buyer went and sold it for more. What do you care happens to something you've already sold. You could have ebayed it yourself?

exactly - I upgraded a cd player some years ago and wanted to sell mine fairly quickly...put it on the wam and had no takers, then put the price down and some guy offered a price 10-20 quid lower than what I was asking... he then took the risk / hassle of putting it on ebay and made some cash... it could have went the other way and he could have sold it at a loss...

I bought a pre/power combo to use for while - in fact I used it for about 6 months to scratch a particular hifi itch. When I was ready to sell it on, I advertised it at a higher price than I paid for it, on the grounds that someone might try and negotiate me down. In the end I made about £50 profit......it is business, once you sell it on, it belongs to someone else to do as they wish. If you undervalue it and sell it then that's your choice.

The Wam was always about the classified ads,

I don't think that's true - the classifieds aspect came later. I could do a Londo and say "I was there, at the beginning of the Third Age...". A number of forums started from the old "Hi-Fi Choice" forum (run by the magazine of the same name) - more precisely, they started when the HFC Forum fell flat on its face, which it did remarkably often. Groovehandle/ZeroGain/Whatever it now is started when HFC shut the whole thing down for months while it revamped it. A later detrimental change spawned HiFi Wigwam. There were various other fragmentations, from these, by people who weren't happy with the particular emphasis developing and/or who had personal feuds with others. Some of the feuds became incredibly vicious, reaching a zenith (nadir?) when one forum member was so furious at being expertly wound up by another that he found the work address of the winder and tried to have him fired for wasting time during working hours on hi-fi forums!

Thought "doing a Londo" meant getting massively drunk, being wildly inappropriate and then ruining your whole planet in the pursuit of power?

Are folk who camped out on other forums going back now?

No. There were three things I liked about the Wam; the classifieds, bakeoffs and the Show. IMO, monetizing the classifieds killed the site more than any other actions.

The only thing worth salvaging is the Show. Despite not having any of the aspirational systems, this year's show was the best that I've been to; just a pity the bad weather and dangerous road conditions put off a lot of visitors.

I don't think that's true - the classifieds aspect came later. I could do a Londo and say "I was there, at the beginning of the Third Age...". A number of forums started from the old "Hi-Fi Choice" forum (run by the magazine of the same name) - more precisely, they started when the HFC Forum fell flat on its face, which it did remarkably often. Groovehandle/ZeroGain/Whatever it now is started when HFC shut the whole thing down for months while it revamped it. A later detrimental change spawned HiFi Wigwam. There were various other fragmentations, from these, by people who weren't happy with the particular emphasis developing and/or who had personal feuds with others. Some of the feuds became incredibly vicious, reaching a zenith (nadir?) when one forum member was so furious at being expertly wound up by another that he found the work address of the winder and tried to have him fired for wasting time during working hours on hi-fi forums!

that sounds savage..!

Thought "doing a Londo" meant getting massively drunk, being wildly inappropriate and then ruining your whole planet in the pursuit of power?

At about 0.13 (there was an earlier mention, but I can't find a clip):

This was one of the best of the Babylon 5 offerings.

No. There were three things I liked about the Wam; the classifieds, bakeoffs and the Show. IMO, monetizing the classifieds killed the site more than any other actions.

The only thing worth salvaging is the Show. Despite not having any of the aspirational systems, this year's show was the best that I've been to; just a pity the bad weather and dangerous road conditions put off a lot of visitors.
The bake offs and by extension, the show were great advances for this hobby. They took direct experience of products away from partisan commercial interests and put it in the hands of the buyers. I can see why commercial interests would want to take control of that.

It was a shame the forum ended up going commercial, after its first abortive and disastrous takeover, it then got sold on again to another commercial concern despite there being offers from private individuals.
Still let’s see if lessons have been learned, and a more free hand is left on the tiller. Imo.

It was a shame the forum ended up going commercial, after its first abortive and disastrous takeover, it then got sold on again to another commercial concern despite there being offers from private individuals.
Still let’s see if lessons have been learned, and a more free hand is left on the tiller. Imo.

Nah, Pete want's out, why else invite he who's name must not be spoken back? Another change of ownership pending...

advertisement

Back