advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

The new formula for dying seaside towns is to plonk a Tate there, or some trendy new building, that will win architecture awards and baffle the locals, just like Hastings pier - a huge plank, and little else. The usual short term thinking by councils results in the unemployable and drug addicts being farmed out to the peripheries, as someone else stated, there's an abundance of unused b&bs. In fact our governments barely govern really do they? Make do and mend.......

yes, and when the councils start to lose revenue (the same can be said of most towns etc) - they then start to charge for parking which further compounds the issue... :(

Eastbourne,
Always lived on the coast and always glad to get back after holiday's, been here 40 years and have found plenty to do, weather generally is the best you can get in the UK. , stunning new harbour, plenty of restaurants , theatre's ,and walks, and no I do not work for the council or travel industry .
However the town centre has gone downhill (Probably like most) I and stay away from that part of the time.

Possibly because it's Morecambe ? (the one noted for its bay, that is :))
I considered reporting my parents to to NSPCC when they started taking me there on holiday after Blackpool became 'common'. Good birdwatching at Hest Bank however, and a fair chance of drowning for an unaccompanied twelve year old boy....,.So that was the plan!

I considered reporting my parents to to NSPCC when they started taking me there on holiday after Blackpool became 'common'. Good birdwatching at Hest Bank however, and a fair chance of drowning for an unaccompanied twelve year old boy....,.So that was the plan!

I hope you told them that they failed as a parent... :)

Welcome to the Isle of Thanet (pronounced 'Fannit' locally). Comprises various seaside towns including Margate with its new art gallery (Tate?), Twee Broadstairs of Dickens and Ted Heath fame, to Ramsgate with its superb Victorian harbour and housing stock with some Regency thrown in plus its grammar school (Ted Heath again) and Pugin architecture. Sandy beaches, high cliffs and long beach walks abound. Pegwell village for cribbage players and the Viking longboat.

The shopping areas and housing hinterland are absolutely dire, though. Good jumping-off points for the time capsule called Sandwich as well as Canterbury. When you're utterly fed up with this after a day or two there's Dover just down the road for a hasty exit to foreign lands.

I'll see your Hartlepool and raise you a Billingham. I've visited one of the factories there, a more desolate place I have yet to visit.

Did you take in the delights of Haverton Hill? Maybe, as it's kinda betwixt Billingham and M'boro and on the outskirts of the highly industrialised area. It could be near the top of places not to visit.... but Southbank in M'boro would probably win!

Did you take in the delights of Haverton Hill? Maybe, as it's kinda betwixt Billingham and M'boro and on the outskirts of the highly industrialised area. It could be near the top of places not to visit.... but Southbank in M'boro would probably win!

Takes me back! I used to have a flat in Great Ayton and had the delights of visiting places like ICI Billingham where I had my 6 month old company car stolen from the 'supervised' car park. The car didn't concern me but it was a Friday afternoon and I was due to drive home with a boot stuffed with my belongings. I got a replacement shiny new car but not my belongings back. I well remember trips to Whitby and the beach with pony rides. The lovely fish'n'chip cafes and the eye watering smell of oak smoked fish sold on street stalls. That was around 27 years ago so things may have changed.

Cheers,

DV

Yes, Boulogne is quite nice. I was always struck by how boring and dull almost all of the French landscape in NE France is, and a long boring drive to Paris.

Swanage. Not for the place itself, which is a bit of a relic of a seaside town but a great place for walking.

Old Harry's rocks one side...

42355903732_a984eb16c6.jpg

Or a walk across the ridge to Corfe Castle with views to Poole Harbour ...

28532814428_b9157ed894.jpg

and a ride back on the train...

41683169884_88f8718518.jpg

Going the other side is the coastal path and lots of old quarries, including Dancing Ledge with it's bed of anomites...

28532685408_dc1fb59a49.jpg

42355904062_d4c4dbc9dc.jpg

Not far away is the Square and Compass

42355903592_22eacabff6.jpg

Crowded in summer, but great beer, an Augustus John drawing on the wall and it's own fossil museum

42355903952_a179bb2df4.jpg

What's not to like?

A weekend trip to The Lake District has reminded me that despite being a tourist honey pot, Ambleside is indeed a fine little town. It also has the 'blingest' bike shop I've ever seen in my life.

Unfortunately I spent a few hours in Grange-over-Sands and found it dreadful. A little town with only one pub - and a piss poor one at that. Great views across Morcambe Bay and little else.

A weekend trip to The Lake District has reminded me that despite being a tourist honey pot, Ambleside is indeed a fine little town. It also has the 'blingest' bike shop I've ever seen in my life.

Unfortunately I spent a few hours in Grange-over-Sands and found it dreadful. A little town with only one pub - and a piss poor one at that. Great views across Morcambe Bay and little else.

should have gone a few more miles to Cartmel, quaint little village, lovely pubs and home to one of the best restaurants in the country.

oh and the lovely Holker Hall is nearby

advertisement

Back