advertisement

What are you listening to right now #15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fela Ransome Kuti, vol 1 & 2. 1977 Pathé/EMI re-release, including favourites like Lady, Shakara Oloje and Black Man's Cry.

(my daughter had some boring homework to do, this was a way of energizing her in a humane way)

Charlie Sexton and Shannon McNally - Southside Sessions

Just saw them perform this EP live at an in-store. Terrific. Buy it.

(My god, Charlie Sexton's a handsome man.)

Kasp,

I LOVED Sexton's debut album, "Pictures for Pleasure", but I may also have been subconsciously seduced by the homo-eroticism, who can possibly say ?

I'll try and get a listen to Southside Sessions.

Cripes, I still have a couple of the tapes somewhere. Haven't listened to any Ozrics for a while, but they are good.
Pungent Effluent is my favourite, but their entire back catalogue seems to be predicated on the Great Om Riff by Gong/Hillage. Try 'You' by Gong instead.

Simon

Simon

Seconded on the Gong rec. In fact, Gong changed my mind about my attitude to a lot of music. Good or bad, my fave Gong album is Radio Gnome Invisible Pt.1. :)

Now on - Porcupine Tree - Moonloop

Excellent spacey sounds, fair takes me back. I'm glad they decided to re-release it.

Kasp,

I LOVED Sexton's debut album, "Pictures for Pleasure", but I may also have been subconsciously seduced by the homo-eroticism, who can possibly say ?

I'll try and get a listen to Southside Sessions.

I loved that one too, and his effort with the Arc Angels. His co-star Shannon McNally was hot too, but my goodness...

Anyway, great set, and they were both tremendously nice people. The Southside Sessions EP is only going for ~$7 or so. It's one of those that has me wishing it kept going.

Now listening to the soundtrack from Little Shop of Horrors... the kids have taken a fancy to it after seeing the movie.

This Are Two Tone (LP). Jerry Dammers was The Man! Rhoda Dhakar's "The Boiler" is still one very disturbing song.

Cheers

Rich

Waltz For Debby - Bill Evans Trio with Scott LaFaro, Paul Motian

'Some Other Time' (middle track, side two) is also on the duet album with Tony Bennett. I just like to imagine him (TB) singing with the trio.

d

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain

Looks like there's a contest going on for the longest album title!

Last night:

Chill out Bombay - compilation
Mumbai Dub Company, Dreams of India
Rajastahn Kohinoor Langa Group, Music from the Desert Nomads
Sensual Bedtime 2, For lounging and more ... don't laugh, it's a good compilation and features one utterly superb track, Recoil, Breath Control

This morning:

Amélie Soundtrack
godspeed you black emperor, f#a#(infinity symbol)

Today

The Necks, Chemist - a wonderful record, well on the way to being my record of the year unless something utterly unexpected pops up over the next few months. 3 x 20 minute pieces rather than the usual one long track, more beeps and bleeps and, for the first time, guitars, all slowly winding and unwinding, evolving and dissolving.

Calexico: Garden Ruin. Had this for about 6 months now and just realised it is a really good rather than really disappointing record.

Kevin

Danses des bergeres, dances des loups - musiques traditionelles du coeur de la France
175-026.jpg

Good stuff as always from Alpha. The cornemeuse is probably an acquired taste - especially in the trovere style played here. Diatonic accordian is also fairly remarkable. There's a slight Arab feel in places, which is not very surprising I suppose.
Possibly one for Mull, if he's feeling a bit adventurous.
My other recommendation is
140-026.jpg

Which is simply beautiful.
Albums available from here with samples etc.

Another useful post Joel. Your second choice above is indeed beautiful.

I'm getting the feeling that my purchase of the "Music of Central Asia Vol.1" in hard copy was the wrong one. I have been waiting nearly two weeks now, for delivery from an Amazon seller. I hope he is just on holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back