advertisement

What are you listening to right now #15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Beck album called "Beck" - sounding very good at first play
e.s.t - tuesday wonderland - don't know what I'm supposed to think, will somebody tell me

Ozric Tentacles - Afterswish

It appears this is a compilation of stuff from their earlier "cassette only" days. As it happens, someone local has cashed in their entire Ozric Tentacles cd collection at the 2nd hand shop. There's about 8 of them - any recommendations which to pick up?

It appears this is a compilation of stuff from their earlier "cassette only" days. As it happens, someone local has cashed in their entire Ozric Tentacles cd collection at the 2nd hand shop. There's about 8 of them - any recommendations which to pick up?
There isn't a duff one in their catalogue. They're one of those groups (for me anyway) that no matter how similar their output is you always need just one more (see also Tangerine Dream).

If they're cheap, buy the lot!

Was: July - July. Old British psych, which I thought was dull at first but has grown. Still not the lost classic some claim.

Is: Cheb i Sabbah - La Ghriba. This is the remix version of La Kaheina and very good it is too, even if it maybe has one or two too many versions of Toura Tours

Bauhaus 1979-1983 2xLP - I can't even remember how long it has been since I last played this sucker. Still sounds good though. Current track is Bela Luguosi's Dead - takes me back to a time when I had a monochromatic wardrobe.

Dan

While I work - Sky FM Modern Jazz station via Screamer Radio. 'Trane's "26-2" and Bill Evans' "Blue Monk" so far. Not too shabby!

Cheers

Rich

There isn't a duff one in their catalogue. They're one of those groups (for me anyway) that no matter how similar their output is you always need just one more (see also Tangerine Dream).

If they're cheap, buy the lot!

Was: July - July. Old British psych, which I thought was dull at first but has grown. Still not the lost classic some claim.

Is: Cheb i Sabbah - La Ghriba. This is the remix version of La Kaheina and very good it is too, even if it maybe has one or two too many versions of Toura Tours
In that case I think you'd like Popol Vuh. The 'Aguirre' (Herzog film with Klaus Kinski) soundtrack is a good starting point.

Workhouse – Flyover. A nice mid point between Mogwai and The Cocteau Twins on Bearos. It fell on the doormat this morning so I’ve only given it one quick listen so far – on first impression it may not have anything quite as magical as their Pecan 7” but it still sounds damn good.

Danielson – Ships. Good quirky stuff slightly reminiscent of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci with some nice odd timing changes thrown in here and there. Thanks to Matthew R for this one.

Mingus – The Great Concert Of… A monster 3 LP live album on the America label that I found whilst out buying yesterday. Sadly ‘enhanced stereo’, (i.e. ****ed about mono) but still sounds fine to me and it captures Mingus on absolutely top form in France in 1964 (it’s a French pressing) with Eric Dolphy, Clifford Jordan, Johnny Coles, Jaki Byard and Dannie Richmond. I’ve only played the first LP so far – looking forward to getting stuck into this one.

Tony.

In that case I think you'd like Popol Vuh. The 'Aguirre' (Herzog film with Klaus Kinski) soundtrack is a good starting point.
You're dead right - I do! Though quite how you got there from a mixture of July and Cheb i Sabbah is interesting! :) My latest Popl Vuhs have been another Herzog soundtrack Bruder Des Schattens - Sohne Des Lichts (the original original soundtrack for Nosferatu) and Einsjager & Siebenjager. Please excuse lack of umlauts...

Just back from a nice walk in Hargate Forest (complete with deer, spooky old trees and Monty's secret tunnels) to the sound of:

Porcupine Tree - Moonloop. Wonderful space-stuff. Do you all have your orders in for the limited edition CD? It's half gone already.
Finzi - Eclogue for Piano and Orchestra. Dreamy and haunting piece of English 20th C classical.
Gayan Uttejak Orchestra - Traditional Music of The Amygdala. This is a Hungarian lot, though the nicely spacey music is largely Indian in base influence. A complete download of the album (and many more) can be found here. Don't be put of by the use of the term "New Age" it's not as remotely vacuous as that phrase often suggests.

Please excuse lack of umlauts...
Nick, If you're using Firefox, you should get abcTajpu. Löök.

Porcupine Tree - Moonloop. Wonderful space-stuff. Do you all have your orders in for the limited edition CD? It's half gone already.
Dropped through the door the other day. It's near the top of the queue. :)

Finzi - Eclogue for Piano and Orchestra. Dreamy and haunting piece of English 20th C classical.
Sounds right up my street, I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Gayan Uttejak Orchestra - Traditional Music of The Amygdala. This is a Hungarian lot, though the nicely spacey music is largely Indian in base influence. A complete download of the album (and many more) can be found here. Don't be put of by the use of the term "New Age" it's not as remotely vacuous as that phrase often suggests.
Or listened to here on the website. Good find Nick, and good to see more than 30 sec samples. They even put up the jewel case covers...

Cripes, I still have a couple of the tapes somewhere. Haven't listened to any Ozrics for a while, but they are good.

Mobb Deep - The Infamous. It's old but new to me. I just can't stop listening to it, still fresh and incredibly engaging and atmospheric and some very adept, pared down talent on display. Dark and moody but with poise, delicacy and restraint. Hate the spoken tracks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back