advertisement

What are you listening to right now #15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you find your going to be waiting ages, PM me and I'll send you a copy. It is a thing of much lovelyness.
Very happy to hear that you like this. Looks like it's the start of another great series from Smithsonian!
I do miss the packaging, but the convenience and price of the downloads are hard to resist :)

Thanks to Rod I actually got the packaged discs for about the same price as the downloads. Perhaps not something I should be proud of really but there it is. The DVDs are great imo, the musicians talk a bit about their philosophies and you get to see people making the instruments, a bit of live performance, lots of lovely scenery etc. I'll be looking out for the rest of the series I think, thanks for recommending :)

This Mortal Coil - Blood

Their cover of Spirit's "Nature's Way" is terrific; must put on the original later.

Next up: The Tubes - Completion Backwards Principle

Was: Penetration - Coming Up For Air (LP). Very poor record. I loved Moving Targets and the classic punk singles Don't Dictate and Firing Squad but this 2nd album is well dodgy. Fred Purser's heavy metal leanings are all over it, no songs to speak of with the only saving grace being Pauline Murray's voice. Oh dear.

Is: Everything But The Girl - Eden (LP - but very crackly anyone wanna swap for a Penetration LP?!). Great record. Brought back loads of early 80's Hull memories (my band used share a rehearsal space with Ben and Tracey); much jazzier and bossa nova-ish than I remembered with Simon Booth of Working Week obviously havinga big influence. And Tracey's voice still makes me go blah, blah, goo, goo, gaga, gaga, llllssslsllmajfbhbjbnkfnvsonvnm..................

Cheers

Rich

Mastodon - Blood Mountain. Tried it because of the good reviews, initially hated it; I'm not really a metal-head and thought it sounded too clichéed. Left it sitting around for a few weeks. But have just managed to stomach it 4 or 5 more times...

What an awesome record. Loads of layers and depth, amazing performances from all the band, may even be the best sounding record on my system. Repeated listening rewards with this one.

Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) - Duke's Memories. About half and half Ellington and Ibrahim material. Great album indeed, good find Tony.

Another cracking album on now (the Dollar Brand one was too short by half!).

Bhundu Boys - True Jit (great title)

This kind of music just puts a daft grin on my face. We could do with more of this over here in the UK. Keep up the good work Tony.

Menwar - Ay Ay Lolo tres, tres fonkie Afrik. It's lunchtime and I NEED to listen to this NOW.

photo_02.jpg

http://www.marabi.net/menwar/une.htm

Mastodon - Blood Mountain. Tried it because of the good reviews, initially hated it; I'm not really a metal-head and thought it sounded too clichéed. Left it sitting around for a few weeks. But have just managed to stomach it 4 or 5 more times...

What an awesome record. Loads of layers and depth, amazing performances from all the band, may even be the best sounding record on my system. Repeated listening rewards with this one.

I've been listening to that a lot since I got it a few weeks ago. Its ace. You have to look beyond the slightly cheesy octaving and the cuts between acoustic and electric guitar etc. but its bad ass. I ordered Leviathan too but I got sent the wrong thing which is annoying.

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

I think my hifi must be ****ed because it sounds bloody horrible. Musically it's kind of meh too. What is the fuss all about, it's not a patch on their first album?

Another useful post Joel. Your second choice above is indeed beautiful.

I'm getting the feeling that my purchase of the "Music of Central Asia Vol.1" in hard copy was the wrong one. I have been waiting nearly two weeks now, for delivery from an Amazon seller. I hope he is just on holiday.
Ahh! Sod it. No response and no cd = Amazon refund. However, I have ordered both Vol.1 and Vol.2 from Caiman, so that will take a week or two to arrive, but I haven't had any problems with them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back