advertisement

£17,250

This is not that over-priced compared to all their other over-priced kit. So it would be odd if it were cheaper.

Like a certain power supply, 50 quid of parts, 30 year old design. Yours for 1300 of you British pounds I believe.

That would never happen here. I'm sure it gives you a buzz (metaphorically, not literally) every time you use it and good luck to you. Enjoy and be happy.

Cheers. I was being a tad flippant with my post. To put it into context I bought a secondhand LP12 around 13 years ago for £750 and upgraded over the years to what is now a top spec LP12. The only original part is the inner platter.

SME 20/3 with a series 5 arm is nearly £11k with out cartridge or phono stage, or lid. I'm sure people in that market are capable of deciding which they prefer. Linn's advantage is the wide variety of options you can choose to suit your budget. I would imagine that the vast majority of SE decks out there have been built up to that spec over many years, thats probably part of it's enduring success, and value to it's customers.

Cheers. I was being a tad flippant with my post. To put it into context I bought a secondhand LP12 around 13 years ago for £750 and upgraded over the years to what is now a top spec LP12. The only original part is the inner platter.

So has it cost more than £17,250? I hope not.

So has it cost more than £17,250? I hope not.

No. Most of my upgrades have been ex-demo (and part ex-ing the replaced parts) from my dealer. It really pays to have a good relationship with your dealer.

Said dealer is Clive at Sound Cinergy, top bloke.

SME 20/3 with a series 5 arm is nearly £11k with out cartridge or phono stage, or lid. I'm sure people in that market are capable of deciding which they prefer. Linn's advantage is the wide variety of options you can choose to suit your budget. I would imagine that the vast majority of SE decks out there have been built up to that spec over many years, thats probably part of it's enduring success, and value to it's customers.

Exactly my point, 17K minus a phono stage and cartridge puts you right at this price point. I don't read threads complaining about the high cost of the SME very often, but the LP12 just keeps getting bashed.
If you don't like the sound of the LP12- okay no problem. But is it "worth" the asking price? Well, is the SME "worth" the asking price?
ATB,
Mark

^ It's a bit like going to a car forum and moaning about the price of a 911. I don't fully understand it.

A few months ago I went to look for watches with my son, I was surprised by some of the prices of the Omegas so he brought something else instead. Like everything the value is in the eye or ear of the beholder, it's not a difficult concept.

^ It's a bit like going to a car forum and moaning about the price of a 911. I don't fully understand it.

A few months ago I went to look for watches with my son, I was surprised by some of the prices of the Omegas so he brought something else instead. Like everything the value is in the eye or ear of the beholder, it's not a difficult concept.

It'd be a tough call between my Cerbera and a new LP12!

I had one of the very first LP12's and I think it was £68, certainly less than £80. It was less than the Grace 707 that went on it.

I totally agree with this having owned a Linn (lingo 1 era) and comparing it side by side with an Orbe, the Orbe was better.

http://zstereo.co.uk/2014/10/08/michell-orbe-se/......

"What I really love about the Orbe is that it’s so great at the price. I regularly encounter £10,000 turntables that aren’t really that much better than the Orbe, if at all. It’s easily on a par with every £5,000 deck I’ve heard, yet costs far less. It’s the same point you could make about the Gyro; one has to wonder why Michell has barely put its prices up in the past couple of decades?Overall then, this is a brilliant ‘affordable high end’ turntable; hook it up to a half-decent arm and cartridge and you’ll struggle to hear vinyl done better"

advertisement

Back