advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet Dipoles are consistently the least favoured design in Toole's/ Harmans unsighted comparisons.
Keith.

Yes, Keith, but it's not hard to see why. The set-up of the Harman trials is designed to make ESLs fail. See the way the listening seats are positioned? For most of those listeners, the ESLs will sound very poor.

PS I know I'm as guilty as anyone for going off-topic, but I think if this discussion is going to continue, it ought to move to another thread.

Well if the perfect one solution fits all existed then we would not need audio forums because we would all have 'the one' that works for everyone in every room..

Yes, Keith, but it's not hard to see why. The set-up of the Harman trials is designed to make ESLs fail. See the way the listening seats are positioned? For most of those listeners, the ESLs will sound very poor.

PS I know I'm as guilty as anyone for going off-topic, but I think if this discussion is going to continue, it ought to move to another thread.

I agree way off topic, firstly I suppose we have to agree what exactly constitutes a good measuring speaker, if we accept flat on axis and smooth and even off axis then dipoles wouldn't qualify.
I know lots of people enjoy them

Keith.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bk Elec Monolith DF here, great bit of kit.. Soon going to be adding a second one. :)

I just get scared off by anything that has a port as a port by nature is a resonant system = horrid Time domain...

Sure I understand that without a port you will not get the highest SPL levels, but I'll let you know how it works out here with the REL Q200E....

I'll keep my eyes out for a second unit...

If you win an auction and pay for shipping, I can collect it for you and send to to Czech Rep :) Im based in Bristol :)

Thats a very kind offer (Thank you) - I have a Q200E on the way and I'll see how it works out :)

I'm not sure if they are still made, but the Linn Sizmik sub was the only one I could find that was "fast" enough to work with my Quad ESL57s - I still use the combination in my TV system. the ML Summits mentioned here have the most awesome and well controlled bass of any speaker I have used - notably better than active Linn Isobariks, so maybe John's final solution would be to sell all the electrostatics he's collected over the years and buy some Summit X?

I've ordered one too... let's hope they're the real mccoy!

John, if this works out, then you or Jarek are welcome to my PMD100 if it's any use to you.

Yeah, me too!....seem too keenly priced, but worth a gamble.:D

I'm not sure if they are still made, but the Linn Sizmik sub was the only one I could find that was "fast" enough to work with my Quad ESL57s - I still use the combination in my TV system. the ML Summits mentioned here have the most awesome and well controlled bass of any speaker I have used - notably better than active Linn Isobariks, so maybe John's final solution would be to sell all the electrostatics he's collected over the years and buy some Summit X?

That Linn looks surprisingly decent sized Driver - are there ports hidden on the underside of the Sub?

The BK XXLS400 is also a very good Subwoofer.

BK Elec did all these guys cabinets, REL and MJ...believe they got stiffed once the latter outsourced to China, so they bit back and made their own for exactly half the price :)

The Monilith Plus downward firing has tremendous grunt and control ...you can always Bung the port if you feel it's causing issues, but I think you would soon remove it

My friend currently has these with little LINN 109 bookshelf speakers; he had BK modify the crossover to roll off lower and has tremendous scale!

They were around £600 delivered in wood veneer, beautifully finished!

For Cinema, I think they are plenty but the absolute Bass freak may prefer an SVS Cylinder, which is a ridiculous earth shattering device ;-)

The new ML Renaissance 15A seem to be just what the doctor ordered :p

The bad news is that they are $25K and that is not considering what they will cost here in Europe :eek:

011016-MartinLogan-600.jpg

That Linn looks surprisingly decent sized Driver - are there ports hidden on the underside of the Sub?

No, its a 10" driver in a sealed box, with, I assume, some DSP to extend the response, its very extended, but damped and quite dry in presentation, works equally well in small and large rooms. The amplifier pack is specifically designed for the Sizmik, though interestingly it does have connections for motional feedback sensors not actually used in the Sizmik I've got.

No, its a 10" driver in a sealed box, with, I assume, some DSP to extend the response, its very extended, but damped and quite dry in presentation, works equally well in small and large rooms. The amplifier pack is specifically designed for the Sizmik, though interestingly it does have connections for motional feedback sensors not actually used in the Sizmik I've got.

Non ported sealed boxes tend to be well damped :) but as you say can be alittle dry... its always a trade off between controlled and boring, or a little wild and fun... in all walks of life :)

the ML Summits mentioned here have the most awesome and well controlled bass of any speaker I have used - notably better than active Linn Isobariks

Wow, that is saying something... I now plan to check out these ML Summits for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back