advertisement

The 2015 F1 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very good!

He is able to do this because he is clearly very talented and his car has different performance characteristics that enables him to make the overtakes.

He says that he struggles to overtake his team mate, for exactly the same reasons that Lewis struggled to overtake Nico (same car, same base performance accelerating on straights, braking for corners and getting round, low, medium and high speed corners).

Very good!

He is able to do this because he is clearly very talented and his car has different performance characteristics that enables him to make the overtakes.

He says that he struggles to overtake his team mate, for exactly the same reasons that Lewis struggled to overtake Nico (same car, same base performance accelerating on straights, braking for corners and getting round, low, medium and high speed corners).

Yup:

The Dutchman said he could understand Hamilton's difficulties, however, because he and Rosberg are driving equal machinery.

"With the Mercedes, maybe they have more problems when they are closer to each other," Verstappen said.

"Also their speed is higher, maybe it's a bit more difficult for them. It's difficult for me to comment, because I haven't driven that car.

"They are both on a very good pace and I have to say when one of the Toro Rossos is behind the other, it's very difficult to get past. Definitely if you have the same type of car, it's very hard.

"For us, we have very good cornering speed, so if we are behind a Lotus or a Sauber or a Force India, we always catch up in the fast corners, even when we are behind.

"That's different for sure. For them [Rosberg and Hamilton], it's equal everywhere - the corners, the straights.

"Then if you are behind, you lose a lot in fast corners, so I can understand that Lewis said that."

We have had dual engine formats before and the world didn't end. Turbo vs non turbo, V8 vs V10, supercharged vs non supercharged. It can work, not ideal but born of politics and intransigence.

:)

I rather like the idea of mating a Red Bull with a Unicorn.

Especially if Adrian can think of a clever way of directing it's farts.
One of these @ 200mph through Au Rouge.

triceratops2.png

I'd pay to see that! :)

They've said no to the alternative engine idea, but are pushing for the current engines to be cheaper, make more noise, be available to teams including RB lol......

Interesting stats from Autosport on the number over overtakes per season and average per race:

2011: 1148 (av. per race: 60.42)
2012: 1141 (av. per race: 57.05)
2013: 985 (av. per race: 51.84)
2014: 636 (av. per race: 33.47)
2015: 561 (av. per race: 31.17)

That's quite an eye-opener.

Still more than it was for twenty years or more before they started those stats I'll wager Tony.

Still more than it was for twenty years or more before they started those stats I'll wager Tony.

Well, that's all overtakes, including backmarkers. And years ago before that hideous drs a good overtake might take a few laps to line up and execute.

It's not often that I get excited by the thought of an overtake now.

It's more than it was 1 year before those stats in 2010. 2011 was the best ever year for F1 overtaking. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

overtakes_zpsu7ausozr.jpg

The engines from the 90s sounded great, especially the Lamborghini engine run in 93, that we installed in the back of the McLaren that year to find a replacement for the Ford. After a few set-up changes (more downforce required) the Lamborghini engined car was much quicker, in fact fast enough to have comfortably won the championship in 93. But the deal never happened as Chrysler wanted to do it on the cheap, which was not how Ron wanted to do it. A missed opportunity for both companies.

Noise : at Silverstones 50th race a year or two ago a historic F1 parade was done. The Red Bull from the previous year was the last car in the parade and was awesome sounding compared to the new (then) engines.

The year before the kids had earmuffs the next year didn't need any, I feel that 'noise theatre' is lost and is missing, for me anyway.

Noise : at Silverstones 50th race a year or two ago a historic F1 parade was done. The Red Bull from the previous year was the last car in the parade and was awesome sounding compared to the new (then) engines.

The year before the kids had earmuffs the next year didn't need any, I feel that 'noise theatre' is lost and is missing, for me anyway.

This has been agreed by pretty much everyone involved in F1, and all being well should be sorted for 2017.

I watched Friday practice for last year's British GP, and quite enjoyed the sound (the V6 race engine sound that the telly doesn't pick up). I also enjoyed being able to talk to my mate. When the GP2 cars came out, that buzzy, one-note engine sound got on my nerves very quickly.

I just crave the days when some engines sounded different to others on the grid. Won't happen though.

Nothing will match the Matra V12!

Oops, showing my age....

Watch from 3.20 or so

[YOUTUBE]-q4fPOXXDHk[/YOUTUBE]

The 2000/2001 McLaren Mercedes were something special as well.

[YOUTUBE]-n1xf20nXjI[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back