advertisement

The 2015 F1 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been agreed by pretty much everyone involved in F1, and all being well should be sorted for 2017.

I watched Friday practice for last year's British GP, and quite enjoyed the sound (the V6 race engine sound that the telly doesn't pick up). I also enjoyed being able to talk to my mate. When the GP2 cars came out, that buzzy, one-note engine sound got on my nerves very quickly.

I just crave the days when some engines sounded different to others on the grid. Won't happen though.

Having recorded current and previous F1 engines in engine dynos I can say that previous engines required very carefully selected microphones (140+ dB was enough to get most mics clipping), and the current powerplants could be recorded with just about any mic. In the pit garages I used ear foam ear plugs and ear defenders (included headphones), whereas nowadays you could get away without ear defenders if you wanted to as the powerplant is so quiet at idle.

The new powerplants were clearly not thought through buy the rule makers. If you target a very efficient engine, then the waste products (heat and noise) will be far less.

I've tickets for the Goodwood Members Meeting in March. There'll be fast demo laps by a 917, a 512, and a field of 70s F1 cars. F1's current engines aren't what I'm looking forward to next year :)

Given that this is a Hi-Fi web site where posters obsess over minute differences in sound quality (which really does require good hearing), I find the craving for louder race cars to be utterly inexplicable. If spectators have to resort to earmuffs, then the cars are too loud in the first place.

I shudder to think of the effects of all this noise on race team staff. Not that I don't like F1, I just think this focus on increasing engine noise is unhealthy in more ways than one.

Noise : at Silverstones 50th race a year or two ago a historic F1 parade was done. The Red Bull from the previous year was the last car in the parade and was awesome sounding compared to the new (then) engines.

The year before the kids had earmuffs the next year didn't need any, I feel that 'noise theatre' is lost and is missing, for me anyway.

Having recorded current and previous F1 engines in engine dynos I can say that previous engines required very carefully selected microphones (140+ dB was enough to get most mics clipping), and the current powerplants could be recorded with just about any mic. In the pit garages I used ear foam ear plugs and ear defenders (included headphones), whereas nowadays you could get away without ear defenders if you wanted to as the powerplant is so quiet at idle.

The new powerplants were clearly not thought through buy the rule makers. If you target a very efficient engine, then the waste products (heat and noise) will be far less.

Surely from a health and safety perspective the current position is better in every way?

Given that this is a Hi-Fi web site where posters obsess over minute differences in sound quality (which really does require good hearing), I find the craving for louder race cars to be utterly inexplicable. If spectators have to resort to earmuffs, then the cars are too loud in the first place.

I shudder to think of the effects of all this noise on race team staff. Not that I don't like F1, I just think this focus on increasing engine noise is unhealthy in more ways than one.

Its the theatre I like. We have RAF jets fly over here training, blooming noisy beasts. Airplanes, Who concerts etc etc.
I feel it adds atmosphere to the drama (well when there was drama in F1), like good sound staging and score on a film adds emotion and silent sequences on other music adds to that drama too.
The only drama today is whether Hamilton stubbed a toe while out partying causing untold issues with his lap times in practice 2.

He did a My Sporting Life on Talksport, over 2 hours about the same book. Some genuine insight to his ascension within F1, some other stuff not so, but still fascinating hearing his take on his own life, and the odd story about drivers antics in the 70s that sounds preposterous given todays stars, James Hunt among those guilty it seems.
Might be a podcast by now?

Surely from a health and safety perspective the current position is better in every way?

Yes it is.

One of the senior engineers I worked with, early in my career, used to stand by the Honda engine during fire up and with his ear defenders removed from one listen to the engine and tell the engine engineer which cylinder was not firing or comment on other problems with the engine. He must be deaf or lost a lot of his hearing by now.

Looking at it from the other side, the fans at the race track are that much further away so the current cars are pretty quiet.

So maybe some sensible medium would be the best place to be.

I heard his interview on Radio 4 this week. He seems not to care for F1 much these days, but says there are a few more years left for Bernie!

Xmas present to myself, though I will skip some nonsense.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1471150194/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Max Mosley Autobiog.

Thanks, he was not popular with the F1 teams but he certainly had a big impact on F1. I will have to get a copy to read.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
drivers antics in the 70s that sounds preposterous given todays stars, James Hunt among those guilty it seems.

I was at Brands Hatch many years ago. In a support race a mid field guy in a Crossley was waving at the Grandstand, some were waving back enthusiastically. Strange. I looked up his number - driver James Hunt. Within a month he was dead, was it him?, I still wonder if I saw his last race. Quite a character.

A rather dull end to the season, though Eddie Jordon was good value on the red button forum demanding the resignation of Ron Dennis and others. Rather amusing that.

Eddie Jordan was welcomed into F1 by Ron with something along the lines of: "Welcome to the Piranha club!".

No love lost between the 2 of them.

I've never been glad an F1 season was over before.

It was over in Austin, I have not watched a full race since.

Love to know why Nico spanked Lewis in the last three races/qualy though. Was it Nico raising his game with no pressure on? Lewis didn't care to the same level as the championship? Car changes - denied by Nico but Lewis has been on about them for the past 2 races.

Nico has out driven Lewis in the past few races, in this instance by making the gap that he needed in the first stint.

After that Lewis tried a different strategy, that was always going to be slower, and therefore helped Nico, but it seems Lewis needed to find out for himself....

Still very close between them and when there is a championship to be won, it is difficult to not see Lewis winning again, unless something dramatic changes.

It's all won and lost on the saturday. Nico is doing well in qualifying, fair play to him, and not exactly sure why Lewis is struggling there at the moment. Maybe he can't be bothered after taking the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back