advertisement

The 2015 F1 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
Well, away from the delays on a decision on Button or Magnusson for McLaren next year, we now hear that, with changes to the sport or VW, the VW group could enter the circus. This on the BBC Sport app:

"The Volkswagen Audi Group is the second biggest car maker in the world and as such it needs to be in Formula 1. But it will not enter it while the sport remains under the control of Bernie Ecclestone, who VAG boss Ferdinand Piech dislikes on a personal and professional basis.Martin Winterkorn - the chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen - is being groomed as Piech's successor and he has always believed that F1 is a great platform for the group's brands. I am told he privately believes VAG should be a part of F1. If VAG did come to F1, I believe it would be with their own team, with the car designed and made in Germany."

So much for money troubles!

So much for money troubles!

Reading further down the article:

"The global advertising value of Mercedes' television appearances during its F1 campaign in 2014 was $2.8bn (£1.8bn).

Experts believe the equivalent value for VAG of their sportscar and touring car programmes was about $30m (£19m)."

It does go to show how valuable something like F1 is to an international brand.

In terms of cost:

"Mercedes spent a net 130m euros (£103m) on F1, once external sponsorship and prize money is taken into account."

Now that is some value for money!

Incredible figures for Mercedes.
Would love to see VAG make a serious entry but do not agree that they should feel compelled to simply because they are the second biggest car maker. After all the biggest never even won a race despite 7 years trying and huge investment.

Red Bull's HQ has been ran raided and 60 odd trophies stolen.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what to think! It was an impress display, and plenty of hard work went into winning them.

The last lot to setup in Germany were of course Toyota.

That worked out well.

Reading further down the article:

"The global advertising value of Mercedes' television appearances during its F1 campaign in 2014 was $2.8bn (£1.8bn).

Experts believe the equivalent value for VAG of their sportscar and touring car programmes was about $30m (£19m)."

It does go to show how valuable something like F1 is to an international brand.

In terms of cost:

"Mercedes spent a net 130m euros (£103m) on F1, once external sponsorship and prize money is taken into account."

Now that is some value for money!

I'm sure i read that it only takes Mercedes 3.5 hours of sales to pay for Lewis Hamilton's basic salary of £17m.

Now that is good value!

Found them...
rbr2.jpeg

The VAG story is very interesting -- their motorsport director -- Jost Capito -- used to hold a very senior position at Sauber -- what chance a buy out avoiding all the start-up and entry fee costs etc

Steve

The VAG story is very interesting -- their motorsport director -- Jost Capito -- used to hold a very senior position at Sauber -- what chance a buy out avoiding all the start-up and entry fee costs etc

Steve

That has to be a better route rather than see another smaller team eventually go the way of Marussia & Caterham. Would hopefully mean the majority of the staff are kept on too.

Depends on how Audi would want to approach F1. They have a very capable motorsports department and may think that they know best, especially given Sauber's results over the past few years. Maybe Audi could be the first road car manufacturer who can step in and show an F1 team how to do things, but I doubt it. In the same way we could not show the road car guys how to develop a road car!

Hi Markus,

I am already working for Pratt&Miller, an engineering consultancy, based in Michigan and North Carolina. It is part time and based in the UK due to some health issues that I am sorting out. Once I am okay I am going to move to North Carolina.

I needed to move to experience new ideas, get re-motivated (had done all I wanted to at Merc after 16 years and needed a new challenge), want to do things better and work in an environment that looks more widely than just winning races.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back