advertisement

This is getting silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
i forgot to mention only posts that are the total twitter character count allowed otherwise your genitals are wired to a fully charged HiCap

What would forums look like if posters of long rhetorical circular missives were allowed only tweet-sized replies? Twitter, I guess #Brevity

Something like this:

My system sounds great!

My system still sounds great!

Went to another room. My system sounds great from here too!

Back in listening room

Thinking about having a beer

By the way, my system sounds great!

You, sir, have had your testicles electrocuted so many times I think we may have to move onto your nipples and call you "madam" from now on.

I think Vital's recent experiments and threads have been really helpful so thankyou. I'm just an old fashioned enthusiast who just wants to hear what was recorded as close to the original as possible. I notice that the subjectivist argument has moved in recent months from hi-fidelity or accuracy to 'what I like'. Not surprising as any other position has been proved untenable.

What we need is a blind test during which people try to tell if it is a hi-cap, Avondale or Teddy which is wired to your genitals. Perhaps we should have a poll to nominate the panel?

I think Vital's recent experiments and threads have been really helpful so thanks to you. I'm just an old fashioned enthusiast who just wants to hear what was recorded as close to the original as possible. I notice that the subjectivist argument has moved in recent months from hi-fidelity or accuracy to 'what I like'. Not surprising as any other position is clearly untenable.

This is a straw man. The divide is still whether you believe measured accuracy is a guarantee of fidelity. I think that may be a good starting point but by no means does it guarantee fidelity.

Another straw man is that subjectivists like the effects of colouration and distortion. The suggestion being that subjectivists like sonic artifice that detracts from fidelity.

The true subjectivist viewpoint is that crude measurements of FR and THD only tell a very small part of the story and therefore the ear should be the final arbiter.

This is a very informative thread that more than touches on the subject:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?74401-SETs-and-measurists

This is a straw man. The divide is still whether you believe measured accuracy is a guarantee of fidelity. I think that may be a good starting point but by no means does it guarantee fidelity.

Another straw man is that subjectivists like the effects of colouration and distortion. The suggestion being that subjectivists like sonic artifice that detracts from fidelity.

The true subjectivist viewpoint is that crude measurements of FR and THD only tell a very small part of the story and therefore the ear should be the final arbiter.

SETs sound amazing with certain recordings but crumble when presented with many others, IMO. Not really my bag.

I'm of the view that the seeker for truth (whatever you label them) would be quiet happy to accept measurements that can accurately predict how something will sound - the disappearance of obj/subj divide, amen

"Transparent as in coherent and informative" Wow steve! You mean... it has acquired intelligence and a soul! That is serious shit man we are talking lifeform here dude.

Steven, regarding things like digital cables and transports - do you think the true subjectivist viewpoint is to just listen and decide, or perhaps be somewhat guided by known unbiased science?

Thanks.

The really interesting one is the one about double-blind ABX. How come "objectivists" push blind tests, and objectivists deny their relevance - if what you hear is what matters, why isn't *only* what you hear the criteria?

Sorry, I picked the nuts and bolts as an extreme, absurd example. Now way I could have imagined that someone would take it as a serious suggestion.

I guess I should just have set up a company marketing audiophile nuts and bolts instead...
Whoosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back