advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam, you're right to ask. There's lots of interest in this. A power amp to complement the MDAC2 would be most excellent. Even better if it could drive Martin Logans ... :cool:

I'm intrigued as to whether John is aiming to produce something like a croft 7 or whether he reckons he can produce something which sounds nice and preserves as much as possible of the huge snr available (I assume) from the dual mono sabre DAC chips.

I'm intrigued as to whether John is aiming to produce something like a croft 7 or whether he reckons he can produce something which sounds nice and preserves as much as possible of the huge snr available (I assume) from the dual mono sabre DAC chips.

T-Amp ? ;);)

Thanks John, I'm in for the L3 ( and salvaged MDAC as previously requested and confirmed by email).

Ditto for me John - Salvaged MDAC & L3 ADC the works please :) Things are getting exciting here - please let me know when you need payment

L3 MDAC2 ---> T-DAC + LakeWest Poweramp. What else is in the cards?

I know that I would be very much interested in the power amp if it ever materialises. I'd be able to unload a few black boxes then, perhaps. If the power amps could be mono blocks or bridged for extra oomph, that would be nice.
Peter

Well, I guess the fact that he has previous for sticking valves in his amps (and his praise for Croft recently) might incline towards the former.

I can't remember what John has said about the design but I'm guessing that he feels he can do something with valve input and mosfet without blurring the edges.

I've started building and testing the MDAC2 Clock section - Lots of work ahead still, but so far it seems very promising... The main clock circuit seem very stable in its basic form, now I need to start building and testing its more advanced features.

One interesting possibility with the MDAC2 to is to be able to generate "calibrated" levels of Jitter - in both spectrum and level. Although in the real world "Jitter" has unlimited spectrum variability at least with the MDAC2 we can generate "simple" spurie components under more controlled conditions to hear their audibility...

As to the Amps - I'd REALLY like to believe that a well measuring amp will also sound good! Although my personal experience has shown that Tube amplifiers not renowned for there technical performance often sound very good.

I am working on modifying a tube Amplifier for a fellow PFM'er here whose measurement & design was poor - once I've completed the modifications it will be compared against an "original" unmodified unit - lets just say I would "despair" if the unmodified unit with its VERY poor technical performance "sounded" better!!! That would upset my own personal world...

Mettalica were technically very good at Glastonbury last night, but after 4 songs
I switched to something more melodic to my ears.

I am working on modifying a tube Amplifier for a fellow PFM'er here whose measurement & design was poor - once I've completed the modifications it will be compared against an "original" unmodified unit - lets just say I would "despair" if the unmodified unit with its VERY poor technical performance "sounded" better!!! That would upset my own personal world...

I suspect that with superior technical measurements giving added depth and detail and valves giving warmth and emotion it should be superb. :)

I've started building and testing the MDAC2 Clock section - Lots of work ahead still, but so far it seems very promising... The main clock circuit seem very stable in its basic form, now I need to start building and testing its more advanced features.

One interesting possibility with the MDAC2 to is to be able to generate "calibrated" levels of Jitter - in both spectrum and level. Although in the real world "Jitter" has unlimited spectrum variability at least with the MDAC2 we can generate "simple" spurie components under more controlled conditions to hear their audibility...
Is this an offshoot of the idea to dither the clock in order to decorrelate errors?
It would be interesting though
As to the Amps - I'd REALLY like to believe that a well measuring amp will also sound good! Although my personal experience has shown that Tube amplifiers not renowned for there technical performance often sound very good.

Sorry if you have answered this long ago on the M-dac thread, but do you have a general outline of what the lakewest amp is intended to do/be roughly

I suspect that with superior technical measurements giving added depth and detail and valves giving warmth and emotion it should be superb. :)

Well that's what I'm hoping for :) - but then its going to be hard to explain the "warmth and emotion" but for what ever reason (and there are a few suspects such as RF tolerance) well designed tube products have an air and realism that transistor designs lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back