advertisement

It's time for the Ergo IIIR

Thanks for the thoughts tony. The source was a much modded cd3 and we heard one track from the Roksan xerxes through a modded set of naim phono cards with str psu. Preamp is starfish as we discussed. Part of the trouble is with almost everything modded, you start wondering if you have buggered up anything and I have kind of lost confidence in what I have. Might need some references on the electronics side to reassure direction.

The dynaudios surprised me how nice they sounded but in a very different league to the ergos. They are ported not infinate baffle but it is not a bass heavy sound but then they never have been. I just noticed a lift in the lower end which is why I was concerned it might be the ergos but your listening has cleared that up so I am relieved.

Part of the trouble is the lack of time for serious listening these days

Tony was able to identify what I had thought for a while, that my overall system is lacking bass, probably from the amps (Starfish/HackerNAP) so some work is required I think.

Are you using a Buffalo with Legato by any chance? I swapped out my Legato for an Ivy a while back, and my jaw dropped at all the low bass that magically appeared. It was as if the Legato was rolling off the lower registers, the Ivy was that much better.

I am also aware his Buffalo was doing what they have a habit of doing (Broken)

So it's not just me! My Buffalo went south a month ago (again).

As for Gareth's system, he's got all the right bits. I'd be inclined to mess with caps and cables. Good luck!

Also, cheers to both of you for accomplishing such an impressive and successful project!

So it's not just me! My Buffalo went south a month ago (again).

Yes I screwed the I2C bus and took out the Sabre and its uController, self inflicted though.
The advantage of dual mono is redundancy :D

As for Gareth's system, he's got all the right bits. I'd be inclined to mess with caps and cables. Good luck!

Yes certainly seems to have the right ingredients so its not going to be a great hardship to get it back in tune.

Also, cheers to both of you for accomplishing such an impressive and successful project!

Sadly I played no part in the Ergo adventure, I would be immensely proud if it were the case. I was just cheeky :D

Thanks for the thoughts tony. The source was a much modded cd3 and we heard one track from the Roksan xerxes through a modded set of naim phono cards with str psu. Preamp is starfish as we discussed. Part of the trouble is with almost everything modded, you start wondering if you have buggered up anything and I have kind of lost confidence in what I have. Might need some references on the electronics side to reassure direction.

The dynaudios surprised me how nice they sounded but in a very different league to the ergos. They are ported not infinate baffle but it is not a bass heavy sound but then they never have been. I just noticed a lift in the lower end which is why I was concerned it might be the ergos but your listening has cleared that up so I am relieved.

Part of the trouble is the lack of time for serious listening these days

Well there is some good news behind all this.
Your going to be somewhat stunned when we get it all singing along.

It is tricky when we modify stuff, all to easy to get a change and convince yourself its an improvement when actually its certainly a change but for the worse. Been there, so many times I had to remove mod after mod to get back to an even footing.

The Roksan and CD3 both sounded similar during my brief listen, this sort of implies the problem lies with the Fish or the HackerNAP, there again hi-fi can be fickle.

I am sure we bodgers often have a niggle or uncertainty over what we here, I sure do. Its welcoming to here other systems or meet fellow bodgers, I find this can often nip the start of a downward spiral in the bud.

I think you need to have a listen to my rig or similar just to make sure we are on the same planet, once we are real sure we are both in the same direction.

If necessary you could always bung some kit up here, I am no expert but I do try to persevere with a problem and have some friends with good ears.

Are you using a Buffalo with Legato by any chance? I swapped out my Legato for an Ivy a while back, and my jaw dropped at all the low bass that magically appeared. It was as if the Legato was rolling off the lower registers, the Ivy was that much better.

I have the IVY as well as I preferred it to the Legato as well. However it has been out of sorts for a while. In fact I have it in my wksp right now checking for obvious problems.

I tried an IVY for a brief time, it was characterful but ultimately a sorted Legato made it seem slow and plodding although a crude Legato implementation was harsh and brittle.
No comparison to Patrick's SEN I/V stage though but it took me a while to sort that also.

It seems odd that the inferior speakers have bass though and these ergo's don't. you're not sitting in a room mode are you? Does the bass appear if you move elsewhere?

Stefan

She sneaked in with a camera.
Ergo Bliss

spwakerssuitgarden003_zpse6c085f7.jpg

It seems odd that the inferior speakers have bass though and these ergo's don't. you're not sitting in a room mode are you? Does the bass appear if you move elsewhere?

Stefan

Its not as clear cut as that unfortunately. It is just a touch more and it is probably the port upper bass lift that caught my attention. Probably just a distraction. Tony has me convinced its electronics.

I tried an IVY for a brief time, it was characterful but ultimately a sorted Legato made it seem slow and plodding although a crude Legato implementation was harsh and brittle.

Hifi is so funny - that's the exact opposite of what I found :) At least we agree on the Ergo bliss!

And how much of it is expectation bias?
The IVY I tried was borrowed and not bodged, the Legato was mine and moderatly bodged by myself, I prefered the Legato. Scary but true.

Ergo Bliss

On a much smaller scale, been there, still am (with E-IX built by James, running on a Wadia 151PowerDAC).

Thanks for this most enjoyable thread. It has been a lot of fun following along.

regards
Jeff A

Thanks for this most enjoyable thread. It has been a lot of fun following along.

regards
Jeff A

The thread is possibly not over yet. There are still one further set of drivers in a pinko bodgers hands!

Then both Gareth and Carl have an active EIIIr itch too scratch.

The fat lady is yet to sing :D

And how much of it is expectation bias?
The IVY I tried was borrowed and not bodged, the Legato was mine and moderatly bodged by myself, I prefered the Legato. Scary but true.

Oh, none - I actually expected the Ivy to be worse because it's opamp based whereas the Legato is discrete, and historically I've preferred discrete circuits to opamp circuits. The difference was so startling that I wonder(ed) if my Legato was busted.

I much prefer the Legato (mildly massaged) over the Ivy. I recently switched to powering the Legato with some grunty Lipos - no complaints about bass from me...

Hi Gareth

Are you running the big gray 68uF feedback caps? I did for a while but the bottom end was far to dry.

Pete

Thinking back I ran the standard IVY from a single standard Placid, the Legato was tweaked around a bit and fed by a combination of feed back regulators and three Salas regulators which had the John Lukins suggested Walt Jung CCS mods, it was far from a reasonable comparison.
I am now concerned that maybe I need to revisit the IVY.

advertisement

Back