advertisement

It's time for the Ergo IIIR

On a much smaller scale, been there, still am (with E-IX built by James, running on a Wadia 151PowerDAC).

Thanks for this most enjoyable thread. It has been a lot of fun following along.

regards
Jeff A
It's good to see you here following Ergo threads, Jeff. I'm really pleased the E-IXs continue to serve you music. Yours remain the only pair crafted from NZ native Rimu timber.

9343879-lg.jpg

Hi Gareth

Are you running the big gray 68uF feedback caps? I did for a while but the bottom end was far to dry.

Pete

Yes I am running those, there was a GB at the time I built the HN so good call.

I am probably going to pull the HN and recap according current thinking and look at the other mods. Might need to do some digging for all the details.

Thanks for this most enjoyable thread. It has been a lot of fun following along.

regards
Jeff A

Glad you have enjoyed it Jeff. I has been fun writing it, I would finish something in the workshop and get quite a kick out of knowing I could share the work with interested parties.

Its not done yet, I still have mine to finish and a few system challenges to to address.

It's good to see you here following Ergo threads, Jeff. I'm really pleased the E-IXs continue to serve you music. Yours remain the only pair crafted from NZ native Rimu timber.

Hi James

Still love them and always will. You cross my mind daily when I first sit down to listen.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Jeff A

Glad you have enjoyed it Jeff. I has been fun writing it, I would finish something in the workshop and get quite a kick out of knowing I could share the work with interested parties.

Its not done yet, I still have mine to finish and a few system challenges to to address.

I admire your skills and your results. When yours are completed I expect you will love them even more as you have invested so much of yourself in the project.

Best wishes
Jeff A

But none of the above is going to deliver more bass, just a slightly different flavour. I'd also be very surprised if any of the sources you tested with were rolling the bass of so severely. I could lend you a mic when you get the next speakers built and you could take them outside for a quick measure to see if you are getting anywhere near the curve James had when he designed them. Maybe the crossover components aren't connected up correctly?

But none of the above is going to deliver more bass, just a slightly different flavour. I'd also be very surprised if any of the sources you tested with were rolling the bass of so severely. I could lend you a mic when you get the next speakers built and you could take them outside for a quick measure to see if you are getting anywhere near the curve James had when he designed them. Maybe the crossover components aren't connected up correctly?

I was wondering that but Tony has checked the crossovers and has loads of bass so we know the speakers are good, it is down to my system.

I never got on with film caps in feedback either. Not entirely sure if it was a lack of bass, but maybe lack of dynamics - sterile and dry sounding.

I found the 68uF AVX's that we all got in the GB to be the best all round in my hackernap, other films could tend toward dryness, and the tants were a tighter but had more of an artificial leading edge to bass notes like naim gear tends to have. I found going down the route of starting to bypass things with other flavours sounded good initially but ultimately seemed to loose coherence. I tried all of the suggestion above and then some!! Ultimately the best mod in my case was a pair of hypex amps!!

Stefan

Well if anyone is interested I just so happen to have 4 x 47uF 100v AVX FFBs kicking around waiting for a good home

Pm me if interested

advertisement

Back