advertisement

It's time for the Ergo IIIR

But none of the above is going to deliver more bass, just a slightly different flavour. I'd also be very surprised if any of the sources you tested with were rolling the bass of so severely. I could lend you a mic when you get the next speakers built and you could take them outside for a quick measure to see if you are getting anywhere near the curve James had when he designed them. Maybe the crossover components aren't connected up correctly?

We used two sources, a Roksan t/t and a CD3, common Starfish and HackerNAPs.

Taking Ergo IIIs out side is not so easy :D

I did not physically check the crossovers. I just ran some in phase and out off phase frequency sweeps 20Hz to 20kHz all seemed fine and coupled to the fact that as the frequency started to rise from 20Hz I could feel it but not necessarily hear it. In my small room bass pounds the door at 95dB and is well ballanced down to quite low levels.

It is so bizarre that I am starting to doubt what I believe I heard.
I have since wondered if the lack of bass is down to the size of Gareths room, it is rather huge.
I also wondered if I actually did here lack of bass, three hours driving and excitment etc. Also some unfamiliar material and a short listening period.

The only sure fire way to be sure is for Gareth to listen up here.

If what I believe I heard it for real then it's not about tweaking the HackerNAP, something is bust.

One further thought.
Has Gareth tweaked the bass out of his phono stage and fish because his dynaudios have floppy bass?

No need for sub-woofery then?

No not at all, I am most pleased with all aspects.

Although I started the test sweep at 20Hz it was just a flac file and I don't know at what point the sound started but it was felt before being heard. I also made no quantitative judgment over the sound pressure level.
I was only concerned to crudely check for an obvious crossover build fault with in phase / out of phase sweeps.
Maybe I could run the test again with a frequency meter attached.

Out of interest how low do the Ergos go? I guess about 50 odd Hz.
I did run the sweep again last night and they do seem to get real low at around 20Hz or real close but the output is down by around a tenth by ear judgment.

Out of interest how low do the Ergos go? I guess about 50 odd Hz.
Ignoring room gain, around 45Hz @ -3dB. With the benefit of sympathetic room loading, they can reach just a smidge above 30Hz @ -3dB, maybe lower.

9597995-md.jpg

-3dB is half the power. Half volume is closer to -10dB.

Thanks I do get my dBs in a muddle

I did a google
Ratio doubling means:
− a sound pressure level of +6 dB SPL,
− a power level of +3 dB,
− an electric voltage level of +6 dB,
− a loudness level of +10 dB,
− 10 dB more SPL means 10 times increase in amplifier gain (amplification).

But you know when the bass driver is working just by looking at it whilst playing something like Gotham Project it must be whooping around by best part of half an inch at live venue levels.

But you know when the bass driver is working just by looking at it whilst playing something like Gotham Project it must be whooping around by best part of half an inch at live venue levels.
That will be close to its maximum linear excursion of +/- 6.5mm. The 10" Scan-speak has a maximum mechanical excursion of +/- 12mm. If this is exceeded with any regularity, damage will ensue. The 25W8565-01 is no longer in production, so exercise them carefully.

Thanks for the warning James, its a visual approximation, pro ably in error and exaggerated.
Around 95dB at the seat is the normal max we use for around one hour, for sustained listening its much less.
But hey I had to see how they shake out so perhaps we had a bit of Gotham Project at around 110dB.

Just rerun some bass heavy material at 95dB and its only just a noticeably cone movement.

Once the new I/V resistors (for EIIIr) are installed max level and excursion will be safely curtailed by halfing max power ourput.

Questionable diy room question for you gents.

Now that I have real hi-fi speakers should I be concerned with what's between the speakers and the floor?

Depends on your budget. I've always wanted to try the Sonority Designs roller shelves. I got a bargain on some of their roller shelves for my TT, and I was surprised at just how good they are.

Do you have a dealer who will let you swap stands to your heart's content? This could be a place where it's worth going commercial instead of DIY.

Thanks all,
I have spikes sitting in cups on a suspended wooden floor, the floor is quite stiff.
As I have at last rid myself of all consumer hi-fi it would be a shame to reintroduce consumer stuff.

Sorry I've not posted for 17 days or so, been a little busy with some odds and ends. Been building the crossover boxes for my cabs which are in the workshop and starting the cladding process.

Phew, think I got away with that!

advertisement

Back