advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John...

I've edited my entry on the "at cost" section, to say I'd like a refurbished case, probably silver, but the family vote is split, so can I change my mind later? I'll go for full spec, and would really be a happy man if I got an analogue input for my turntable too (with some form of gain control). Coffee making facilities too, but not essential...
Am I right to say I need to send development money at stage 4, but I'll need to find some money for my refurbished donor machine soon, but unknown exact cost at the moment?

Have I got it?

Hum... the original idea of the "at cost units" was for the upgrade of the original L2/toy/fusion unit... but thinking about it - sure it makes no difference to apply the deal to a salvaged unit instead - saves "scrapping" what turned out to be a labour of love (AKA torture)!

Once we have more details from IAG - I'll need to know the colour of your salvaged unit - about a week or two...

Hum... the original idea of the "at cost units" was for the upgrade of the original L2/toy/fusion unit... but thinking about it - sure it makes no difference to apply the deal to a salvaged unit instead - saves "scrapping" what turned out to be a labour of love (AKA torture)!

Once we have more details from IAG - I'll need to know the colour of your salvaged unit - about a week or two...

Once the designs done and you can specify which resistors we can salvage and the amount that we need to buy, we'll know the outlay. Then the decision may be easier on wether to go this route for a salvaged option. Of course if other components are required to keep costs down its totally understandable. Wouldn't want you to be out of pocket on the at cost units.

As you stated its a shame to undo all that hard graft.

I might have recovered financially by march next year as I,ve just forked out for second hand Audiolab 8200mb (mono blocks) to work with the fusioned MDAC.

I'm confused: do you mean, that I could keep my L4 Premium and still get the "at cost" deal with a salvaged unit?

What if you would need components from the original unit in order to keep costs down?

I really couldn't face the idea of throwing away my MDAC pcb having had it upgraded, and I really think I deserve an MDAC in my office. I'm happy to assemble my MDAC from a refurb case and pcb - in fact, would that be an idea, as the cases then wouldn't have to go all the way to Czech and then back to the UK?

I'm confused: do you mean, that I could keep my L4 Premium and still get the "at cost" deal with a salvaged unit?

Well the original idea was that it only applied to upgrading the actual L2/Toy/Fusion units - but its seems needlessly poor form to to make such a restriction - I'd just not considered the scenario ...

The L2/TOY/Fusion are very very good Dacs, so its a shame to have them taken out of circulation via an upgrade - better to upgrade an original unit.

What if you would need components from the original unit in order to keep costs down?

Will in this case we would just ask that you pay the "extra" cost... which if its even required certainly should not be very much.

I noted you already sent GBP100, so maybe I can keep this aside for the salvaged unit.

Hi John,
I have an L2 upgraded MDAC, but appear to be on "list 1" , do I pay now or do I pay later?
I did e-mail you but these things do get "lost in the machine".
Any chance of you clearing this up so I know what needs to be done and what the costs might end up being?
Thanks
Yanntoe

Hi John,
My situation is similar to Jem's, in that I'd hate to scrap my L2 MDAC Toy - truly hate to, not just because of all your blood and tears that pooled into it, but because this anointment has so utterly transformed my listening pleasure, such that it would be madness to bin it. However, I'd like to do what little I can to support your new venture, esp. as I know that when the feedback starts arriving regarding the 2's sound, I'll be itching to get on the purchase list. So please could you add me to the salvaged list (black) as and when you get the info. from IAG?
Simon

later - much appears to have happened in the time it took me to read John's original response to Jem's post and to write this.

Steve,

Your on the 'At Cost upgrade list" as your an existing L2 Toy/Fusion owner - you will only need to send funds at stage 4, the final stage = “Production unit cost” £150 ~ £200 + optional Vishay Z-foil resistors + shipping etc

To add:

This would free up funds to have my Copper amp upgraded to Vishay Bulk Film resistors in the driver stages and output stages next month during its annual service :)

This should provide an even bigger window for DAC upgrades, especially at Scalford.

Will in this case we would just ask that you pay the "extra" cost... which if its even required certainly should not be very much.

I noted you already sent GBP100, so maybe I can keep this aside for the salvaged unit.

Ok, thank you :)
I'll update the wiki page accordingly. If available, the salvaged unit would be silver.

John

I've put my 1st instalment in. However I do have a question. I seem to remember that some time ago there were issues with special screws that proved difficult to remove. Would this affect home replacement of the mainboard? (I know that in any case you will swap the PCB yourself for those who choose to ship their MDACs to you rather than taking the DIY route.)

Hi John,
I have an L2 upgraded MDAC, but appear to be on "list 1" , do I pay now or do I pay later?
I did e-mail you but these things do get "lost in the machine".
Any chance of you clearing this up so I know what needs to be done and what the costs might end up being?
Thanks
Yanntoe

Sorry - got your Email the other day but....

I've edited the Wiki :)

John

I've put my 1st instalment in. However I do have a question. I seem to remember that some time ago there were issues with special screws that proved difficult to remove. Would this affect home replacement of the mainboard? (I know that in any case you will swap the PCB yourself for those who choose to ship their MDACs to you rather than taking the DIY route.)

Thank you :)

As part of the upgrade PCB package we will supply the required TORX screw driver + replacement screws for the "Home upgrade kit" as sometimes the Screw heads get badly damaged while trying to open the unit for the first time on units with overtightened screws.

Thank you :)

As part of the upgrade PCB package we will supply the required TORX screw driver + replacement screws for the "Home upgrade kit" as sometimes the Screw heads get badly damaged while trying to open the unit for the first time on units with overtightened screws.

What length of screw though ? Mine has 6, 10mm and 2, 5mm ??? for some strange reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back