advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dawn of MDAC2

The MDAC2 project is now officially commencing. Our thanks go to all of you whose pledges and support made it possible! In the following paragraphs we introduce the project’s design targets, development & production roadmap, milestones and related installment payments.

Design goals

This project aims to design a completely new DAC in the same form factor as the original MDAC. There are many benefits to this approach. We can fully concentrate our effort and resources on the part of a product that determines the performance and features, while foregoing the otherwise necessary, lengthy and expensive industrial & mechanical design. Existing MDAC owners will not need to pay for an entire new product. The MDAC2 consists of a completely new mainboard and rear panel assembly. It is easily retrofitted into an existing M-DAC in place of the original mainboard, making use of it’s aluminum chassis, front panel complete with all the controls, OLED and microprocessor as well as the AC adaptor and remote control.

Features

• Dual ES9018 Sabre32 DACs, one dedicated chip per channel for true dual mono operation.
• Brand new discrete Class A analog stage design.
• Redesigned on-board power supply circuitry guaranteeing optimal performance using the stock AC adaptor.
• High Speed USB 2.0 controller for asynchronous USB Audio Class 2.0 with 32 bit resolution and up to 768 kHz sampling rates. Driverless operation under MacOS X and Linux as well as Windows with UAC 1.0 fallback (up to 96 kHz). Optional open-source ASIO driver for Windows to support UAC 2.0 capabilities.
• DSD 64Fs supported via USB as well as S/PDIF with DSD 128Fs and higher available via USB (DoD standard).
• FPGA on board, opening the doors to limitless customization and further improvements delivered via software updates. Ability to bypass all internal processing in the Sabre32 and replace it with custom LakeWest developments down to the noise shaper.
• RAM buffer for memory play without ASRC for S/PDIF sources. Asynchronous USB and transport ClockLock interface ASRC free playback or optionally S/PDIF playback with ASRC without memory buffer induced latencies.
• Passive AV bypass unbalanced inputs allowing coexistence of analog preamplifier / surround processor with the DAC’s own digital preamplifier.
• 4W XLR Female on the rear panel for balanced headphone connection.
• Made in EU, each unit tested and qualified personally by JW

Specifications

While we don’t believe that basic audio measurements are indicative of audio quality – a few do purchase their products on technical performance alone, so here are the target and ‘worst case’ guaranteed performance specifications:

• THD XLR 1 kHz: 0.00005% typ. (0.0001% max.)
• Dynamic Range XLR 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz: 135 dBA typ. (130 dBA min.)
• Channel Separation 1 kHz: >130dB
• Output Impedance: ~0 Ohm (limited by contact resistance)
• Driving Capacitance: stable up to 10 nF
• DC Offset: +/- 10 mV max.

Project roadmap

Before presenting the planned project schedule, it is important to stress that any timeframes given are only our best estimates and cannot be relied upon completely. We are undertaking development of the very best DAC possible and that is the primary goal which necessarily takes precedence to meeting any self-inflicted deadlines. After all what good is a DAC delivered on time, but knowingly crippled? That said, let’s look at the milestones and projected timeframes and the related installment payment schedule.

Stage 1 (First £100 installment)

• Beginning of September ’13 – Official start of the project.

• End of September ’13 – Completed circuit design and simulations of new analogue stage and power supply circuitry.

• Beginning of October ’13 – Start of prototype PCB layout to verify the newly developed analogue and PSU circuits.

• End of October ’13 – Prototype PCB design finished and manufacturing data issued to PCB vendor.

Stage 2 (Second £100 installment)

• Middle of November ’13 – Prototype PCB built, tested and qualified on the bench, starting design of the MDAC2 mainboard.

• End of January ’14 – MDAC2 mainboard design finished and manufacturing data issued to PCB vendor.

Stage 3 (Third £100 installment)

• End of February ’14 – MDAC2 mainboard prototype built, tested and qualified

Stage 4 – The final stage “Production unit cost” £150 ~ £200 + optional Vishay Z-foil resistors + shipping etc.

• Beginning of March ’14 – placing orders for production quantities of material. Owners of Level 2 upgraded MDAC’s only get to pay the final installment that covers the production and shipping costs of the new Mainboard

• End of March ’14 – first MDAC2 mainboards coming off the production line

To remit the opening installment of the pledged funds and reserve your MDAC2 upgrade mainboard from the initial production batch while helping to support the development, please click the link below which will redirect you to the (very crude) LakeWest MDAC2 page with a link to PayPal for payment processing:-

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com

I'm a happy owner of an unmodified MDAC. As I use it for TV sound to, I've got to find a way to convert multi-channel dolby bitstream from my Cisco cablebox to something the MDAC will eat (PCM, I presume). I've been looking over the internet but failed to find such a contraption.

Anyone's got an idea?

Great to hear this is now kicking off John. Do you have any update on the salvaged units for those of us poor souls who don't currently own an mdac? Cheers.

I'm a happy owner of an unmodified MDAC. As I use it for TV sound to, I've got to find a way to convert multi-channel dolby bitstream from my Cisco cablebox to something the MDAC will eat (PCM, I presume). I've been looking over the internet but failed to find such a contraption.

Anyone's got an idea?

select pcm 2 channel from telly perhaps ? assuming you have hdmi from cisco to telly

Anyone's got an idea?
select pcm 2 channel from telly perhaps ? assuming you have hdmi from cisco to telly
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hdmi-audio-extractor

(most of them can be set to 2 channel PCM)

Another keyword for such boxes is "de-embedder", "HDMI audio de-embedder".

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The specified DC offset range seems rather high. I would expect this at the output of my poweramp; not at the output of DAC or preamp

Otherwise, as long as it sounds as good or better than my fusion DAC, I'm fine

Cheers
Johan

The specified DC offset range seems rather high. I would expect this at the output of my poweramp; not at the output of DAC or preamp

Otherwise, as long as it sounds as good or better than my fusion DAC, I'm fine

Cheers
Johan

Johan,

I've kept the DC offset limits the same as the current MDAC / CDQ - We have never had a customer complaint, during product we adjust for under +/-3 mV the amplifier will be DC servo'ed or AC coupled so no issue - for the best sound quality its not wise to added unnecessary servos or AC coupling, there's no such thing as a good sounding coupling capacitor...

Johan,

I've kept the DC offset limits the same as the current MDAC / CDQ - We have never had a customer complaint, during product we adjust for under +/-3 mV the amplifier will be DC servo'ed or AC coupled so no issue - for the best sound quality its not wise to added unnecessary servos or AC coupling, there's no such thing as a good sounding coupling capacitor...

Good to know. If all goes well my next amp will have an adjustable offset. I will have to remind myself to check offset and if necessary adjust with MDAC connected

Hi John
What about maybe few of us oldfashioned who don't have paypal acc
Can you PM me your data for bank transfer payment??
thanks

Great to hear this is now kicking off John. Do you have any update on the salvaged units for those of us poor souls who don't currently own an mdac? Cheers.

I'll have final confirmation of pricing for "As New Condition" salvaged units - IAG's UK service is going though all returned stock ATM to ascertain there cosmetic condition etc.

Salvaged units will be put in new boxes with new remote's, IAG are just checking them over to make sure they look 100% new.

I do strongly recommend that as soon as the units are ready, those who are interested in a salvaged unit forward the funds so we can physically secure there unit.

IAG are currently in the process of moving there entire manufacturing operation - thus stalling production for the coming months, a knock-on effect I expect will be new MDAC's will be hard to come by... so to prevent any problems I'm keen to physically have stock of the required salvaged units.

The pricing of salvaged units will be around £350.

Hi John
What about maybe few of us oldfashioned who don't have paypal acc
Can you PM me your data for bank transfer payment??
thanks

Hi tomisiv,

You can pay with a debit or credit credit card via PayPal (you don't need a PayPal account).

Wiring funds would incur a very stiff banking fees.

AFAIK NCore is neither AC coupled nor DC servo'ed. It happily amplifies DC to the output. Seen it happen, not funny

Well worst case 10mV not going to be a real problem as I say its typically under 3mV - no different from current MDAC / CDQ designs in this respect.

Thank you for those who have sent the first installment :)

I'm not sure if everyone would be happy to have there PFM names added to a Wiki section indicating there position on the delivery list - also closer to production time, we will also need to know the colour of the original MDAC to be able supply the correct colour MDAC2 rear panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back