advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian,

Your unit has just been completed - sans bypass... I'm a little confused as I have you down for "divert £50 payment for bypass to PCB cost".

However as its risky to send your unit AM tomorrow to arrive by the 9th (would you be around on the 9th to accept the delivery,as there is a good chance it would arrive on Monday?) - I can hold your unit back until your return and add the AV bypass option...

John
Sorry for ambiguous wording; when I said I can wait I meant wait for the new mdac2 PCB, not that I wanted the bypass adding now. So yes divert funds to PCB cost. I return from hols on the 16th. Could you post it to arrive for about the 17th. I think I will email you my work address so that you can send it to me care of that.
Thanks
Ian

As part of the MDAC2 development path I plan to build a prototype of an idea I have for a unique analogue stage, if this idea proves successful then only 4 Bulk foil "Fusion" resistors will be for the "Direct" analogue path - with options to use bulk foils in the more critical "secondary" circuit positions for the "Flagship" spec'ed version.

At any rate, the some of the current resistor values are unlikely to be used for the MDAC2 PCB...

Am I right that this means that a fully fusioned MDAC2 will require the purchase of extra resistors?

- Richard.

Hi John,

Sorry for clogging up the main thread but you PM inbox is showing as full.

I'm finalising a visit to my friends in Prague between October 1 - 10. I'm anticipating being able to visit you in Prostejov sometime during that period.

Do you know of any commitments you might have (trips abroad etc) that would make that impossible? I can vary my arrangements but intend to book flights within the next two days.

Best wishes to you and Renata.

Roger.

The first 3 payments of £100 cover the development costs - these are spread over the projects developmental cycle as design certain goals are achieved - with the last payment covering the actual PCB cost - at this stage Toy / Fusion options can be specified etc.

When will the payment starts?

Hi Jboy,

The MDAC2 is offered as a Mainboard PCB upgrade for existing MDAC owners - the option of a salvaged / reconditioned "complete" unit is only for European customers due to problems with customs clearance / import duty's etc.

If you already own an MDAC - then the MDAC's original PSU will be used so no problems with 100V - 120V 50Hz - as you just use your existing PSU adaptor.

Yes, I have already an M-DAC. The unit works completely.
I would like to use linear PSU instead of the original AC adaptor.
I have introduced linear PSU for M-DAC from a shop in England, but the PSU does not work completely.
I heard that you have a plan as to linear power unit, MPAX .
How is that matter going ?

Thank you,

Yes - or in the very worst case atleast prototype units, and it would be a good opportunity to have its public début - if MDAC2's have not already been shipped :)

If so I promise to run it with and without the preamp.

If it sounds better sans pre I will take the pre out of the system.

If so I promise to run it with and without the preamp.

If it sounds better sans pre I will take the pre out of the system.

Steven I run mine full volume through a AS Passion passive because I have a lot of gain in my system and when run direct to my amps the M-dac volume was reading in the 60s so I found to my ears the M-dac sounded better full volume through my passive as that gives full resolution from the digital volume of the M-dac.

Doing this is a very close run thing if its better or not but seeing as I have 2 analogue sources and adding the passive at lease does no harm its the best option for me.

My passive has a direct input which bypasses the selector switch and when comparing m-dac direct or M-dac through the passive via the selector or direct I can hear the loss the going through the selector switch makes and would say that gives a slight loss compared to going direct.

So in all honesty id say if you don't need analogue sources then m-dac direct would I think give the best sound quality.

Steven I run mine full volume through a AS Passion passive because I have a lot of gain in my system and when run direct to my amps the M-dac volume was reading in the 60s so I found to my ears the M-dac sounded better full volume through my passive as that gives full resolution from the digital volume of the M-dac.

Doing this is a very close run thing if its better or not but seeing as I have 2 analogue sources and adding the passive at lease does no harm its the best option for me.

My passive has a direct input which bypasses the selector switch and when comparing m-dac direct or M-dac through the passive via the selector or direct I can hear the loss the going through the selector switch makes and would say that gives a slight loss compared to going direct.

So in all honesty id say if you don't need analogue sources then m-dac direct would I think give the best sound quality.

Yebbut my pre has three active gain stages aka JAN Philips ECC82s.

Here is the inside of my passive

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its uses a very high quality switch and all Vishay resistors so Zfoils with the jackets on and using the direct in the m-dac is to my ears a little better than M-dac direct to my amps but just using the cd input so adding that selector switch degrades the sound to bellow that of the m-dac direct to my amps and that selector switch as you can see is a very good one.

I think running the M-dac through a active valve preamp would just add colouration and distortion and a loss of detail.

The M-dac has good drive and high current and doesn't need a active pre.

Yes, I have already an M-DAC. The unit works completely.
I would like to use linear PSU instead of the original AC adaptor.
I have introduced linear PSU for M-DAC from a shop in England, but the PSU does not work completely.
I heard that you have a plan as to linear power unit, MPAX .
How is that matter going ?

Thank you,

Jboy,

:) Your the first MDAC owner that I've 'met' from Japan :)

OK, hopefully it should be no problem to post the MAinboard PCB to Japan, so I'll add you to the MDAC2 Mainboard upgrade list.

Any plans for linear PSU are on hold until MDAC2 is completed and at any rate the MDAC2 will offer a far greater improvement then any PSU upgrade - thus offering you better value for your money.

Hi John,

Sorry for clogging up the main thread but you PM inbox is showing as full.

I'm finalising a visit to my friends in Prague between October 1 - 10. I'm anticipating being able to visit you in Prostejov sometime during that period.

Do you know of any commitments you might have (trips abroad etc) that would make that impossible? I can vary my arrangements but intend to book flights within the next two days.

Best wishes to you and Renata.

Roger.

Roger,

I'll be here in Czech - working on the MDAC2 design :) (anyday is fine with us, we can collect you from a train station in Prostejov or Olomounc).

If you bring your MDAC I can Czech its Master Clock is OK and add some small modifications that should improve your USB performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back