advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,
please add me to the next generation M-DAC list, with salvaged black M-DAC unit + Toy resistor.

Thank you.

When I made this one with the Seiden 43 stepped attenuator I experimented with the shunt resisters

from the standard carbons to Audio Note 2W Non-magnetic Resistors to Shinkoh Tantalum Resistors to Charcroft Z-Foil Resistors and the Zfoils were the best.

When I posted my findings on here I was told what I said is not possible all resistors sound the same.

When I made this one with the Seiden 43 stepped attenuator I experimented with the shunt resisters

from the standard carbons to Audio Note 2W Non-magnetic Resistors to Shinkoh Tantalum Resistors to Charcroft Z-Foil Resistors and the Zfoils were the best.

When I posted my findings on here I was told what I said is not possible all resistors sound the same.

In many ways its "depressing" that a simple component can effect the sound to the degree it does... then just think about the whole audio chain - from studio to your ears... it posses obvious questions.... If I'd not heard it for myself I'd say one was going mad!

Dear John,

Have you had a chance to investigate the fault with my unit?
Should I brace myself for buying a replacement? :)

/Jannik

Jannik,

TBH, I put your MAC to one side as I could find no fault... I'll have another look at it after a get a few more MDACs out this week - its on test but been a good little DAC so far...

You'd be crazy to buy a replacement MDAC - presuming the fault is on the mainboard this 'issue' can be sidestepped by replacing with a MDAC2 PCB... Your DAC worked for over 6 months or so hopefully even if I cannot find the root cause it will be good for another 6 more months until MDAC2 PCB start shipping.

Jannik,

TBH, I put your MAC to one side as I could find no fault... I'll have another look at it after a get a few more MDACs out this week - its on test but been a good little DAC so far...

You'd be crazy to buy a replacement MDAC - presuming the fault is on the mainboard this 'issue' can be sidestepped by replacing with a MDAC2 PCB... Your DAC worked for over 6 months or so hopefully even if I cannot find the root cause it will be good for another 6 more months until MDAC2 PCB start shipping.

Thanks for the update, John.
I can understand that its a difficult task to find the fault, when its not there in your lab.

Take care.

/Jannik

Jboy,

:) Your the first MDAC owner that I've 'met' from Japan :)

OK, hopefully it should be no problem to post the MAinboard PCB to Japan, so I'll add you to the MDAC2 Mainboard upgrade list.

Any plans for linear PSU are on hold until MDAC2 is completed and at any rate the MDAC2 will offer a far greater improvement then any PSU upgrade - thus offering you better value for your money.

Yes, may be the first M-DAC owner in Japan.
Thank you for adding my name to the list. Thank you, John ! :)
I understand as to PSU upgrade.

John,

Do you have the article now?

Russel,

Read the paper thank you :) however it does not apply for two reasons, the first is we don't use switching regulators and the second is that all "clocked" devices (MCU's and DAC) are synchronised to the Master clock to prevent any opportunity of beating products in the audio BW.

Today :) - we are just setting everything up, I'll post the information later.

Hi John

Typical - I'm off on holiday for a week so won't be able to contribute until I get back - so please don't cross me off the list for being late:(

Am I right in thinking that the headphone socket is on the replacement MDAC-2 board - the contacts that sense when the phones are plugged in are starting to fail causing the relays to 'chatter' when the plug is put in. If it is I can wait - if not I will need to look at a fix if it gets any worse.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back