advertisement

USB cable group test in HFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, but for many here it seems that Hifi as a hobby has little go do with listening to music and everything to do with perceiving differences in the sound of equipment.

Bake-offs all seem to be about comparing kit. I've not heard of a single bake-off to compare different versions of a Beethoven symphony, for instance.

S
Well there's always Building a Library on Saturday morning.

I have only three HDMI cables in the house. Up until mid-2012, I had none, and all DVD players were connected to TVs with SCART.

I now have the DVD machines and a low-end Panasonic BD player thru HDMI to a newer TV, but the HDMIs are all no-name generic items. I haven't compared one to the other - because of varying lengths, I can't swap them between machines to compare, and I haven't got others to swap them with. The longest of them, at 2m, is prone to white static 'flashes' on-screen, and audio dropout, but since the layout prevents me from swapping that with another, I haven't concluded definitively that this is cable-induced.

Therefore, I have no concrete view on whether or not various HDMI cables perform differently.

I can easily admit the possibility that they do, but I find it difficult to admit the possibility that you can definitively state that they don't, based only on the subset of current scientific 'fact' that you determine is relevant.

Demoing is of course something that any open minded person would want to do, before forming a personal opinion, in most cases, however, there's a wealth of information out there that explains that HDMI cables are simply not capable of offering varying levels of performance (Assuming they're not faulty, as one of yours seems to be).

I would be interested to know why in light of this, you still feel that only through demoing yourself, can you form an opinion, on something that even some HDMI cable manufacturers will tell you, there's nothing to form an opinion on.

Indeed, but for many here it seems that Hifi as a hobby has little go do with listening to music and everything to do with perceiving differences in the sound of equipment.

Bake-offs all seem to be about comparing kit. I've not heard of a single bake-off to compare different versions of a Beethoven symphony, for instance.

S

But I want to hear my favourite version in the best way for me!

S

Have you organised one? I've spent many an evening with friends discussing and listening to music - very often on poor kit. I've also spent time with friends playing music - usually badly, but that's part of the fun IMV.

I've not at any point told you or your objectivist partners that you're wrong because I don't think you are. If you wish to judge equipment based on numbers alone that's OK. I really don't understand why you can't genuinely extend the same respect to others.

That's because Serge and his type have to save everyone else from themselves. They can't show that respect. They're no different to the people shouting about god in the town centre on a Saturday morning imo.

Edit: Thought I'd add...people are free to spend their money on whatever they want without being preached at.

Have you organised one? I've spent many an evening with friends discussing and listening to music - very often on poor kit. I've also spent time with friends playing music - usually badly, but that's part of the fun IMV.

I've not at any point told you or your objectivist partners that you're wrong because I don't think you are. If you wish to judge equipment based on numbers alone that's OK. I really don't understand why you can't genuinely extend the same respect to others.

I have every respect for anyone else who judges equipment on numbers alone.

S

It's only odd if you believe that it all sounds different. If there's no difference, and I've not found that there is between modern SS designs of reasonable competence, then buying on sound makes no sense at all.

Again you use the word 'believe' as if everyone is imagining things.

Serge,

I've not heard of a single bake-off to compare different versions of a Beethoven symphony, for instance.
That one's easy. Buy the version this bloke conducted.

T8711_Wilhelm%20Furtwangler.jpg

By the way, before the clips and needle drops were nixed, Vuk had presented a conductor bake-off.

Joe

Again you use the word 'believe' as if everyone is imagining things.

I think you might be onto something: Serge, can you be a bit clearer- everyone's wondering whether maybe you think that people who believe they can hear differences between amplifiers are imagining it.

There can be differences even between solid state amps, if one of the amps is not capable of driving the loudspeakers being used or if the amp has been ' designed ' to sound different.
Keith.

Serge,

That one's easy. Buy the version this bloke conducted.

T8711_Wilhelm%20Furtwangler.jpg

By the way, before the clips and needle drops were nixed, Vuk had presented a conductor bake-off.

Joe
You mean not the one by
semeve4e.jpg

That's because Serge and his type have to save everyone else from themselves. They can't show that respect. They're no different to the people shouting about god in the town centre on a Saturday morning imo.

Edit: Thought I'd add...people are free to spend their money on whatever they want without being preached at.

I think you will find that those who believe in magic sky people without a shred of evidence are the ones shouting in the town centre on a saturday morning. Not unlike those who claim to hear these differences in usb cables, again without a shred of proof. If there is one person on this forum who should be respected for his approach it is Serge, a realist who is not afraid to say it how it is. It has become the fashion lately to accuse those who seek the truth as 'religious' when they are anything but. It is those who claim to have golden ears that can hear things not measurable with equipment thousands of times more sensitive than human hearing who are religious. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the cable believers show so many similar traits to bible bashers that they should be called priests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back