advertisement

USB cable group test in HFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there'll always be people silly enough to waste money on Foo, but that's their prerogative, and their money. There's no harm in it.

The main issue with the article in question (which I have now read) is that it's blatant scaremongering, designed to dupe anyone who reads it into Foo land, by way of promises of performance differences that do not exist.

If the magazine can't survive without targeting the average - non audiophool HiFi fan that pays good money for advice from the so called experts, in this way, then it should cease to exist. There's no excuse for this kind of crap.

The excuse for it is it allows me to have a ready-made justification for buying things that I know probably don't make a difference, but I'd like them to.

It's called cognitive dissonance, and I'm fine with it.

If they didn't provide me with that ready-made justification, I'd probably buy a lot less hi-fi.

And to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather you didn't exist. Self-righteous prigs who love the smell of their own farts I can do without.

Oh, and just to let you know how much I despise your tone, I've just signed up to a subscription to Hi-Fi News, a magazine I stopped reading about a decade ago. I did purely to spite you.

Happy now, Napoleon?

The excuse for it is it allows me to have a ready-made justification for buying things that I know probably don't make a difference, but I'd like them to.

If they didn't provide me with that ready-made justification, I'd probably buy a lot less hi-fi.

And to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather you didn't exist. Self-righteous prigs who love the smell of their own farts I can do without.

Oh, and just to let you know how much I despise your tone, I've just signed up to a subscription to Hi-Fi News, a magazine I stopped reading about a decade ago. I did purely to spite you.

Happy now, Napoleon?
So to clarify then- you've moved on some way from the Olympian position in post 533 that it was ridiculous for people to get worked up about something that doesn't matter, and that you were sick of petty point-scoring.

So to clarify then- you've moved on some way from the Olympian position in post 533 that it was ridiculous for people to get worked up about something that doesn't matter, and that were sick of petty point-scoring.

Yep. Angry now! Grr. You come back to this place for one day and it poisons you.

Taking out an HFN subscription may only be the start. I'll be impressed if you buy a 6.5k cable out of spite.

So because you can't or won't do something, in your world that must mean that no one else can.

Strange mindset in my view.

I've never known of anyone who could tell such amplifiers apart in a proper blind test. You must be unique, or the other things apply.

S

Happy now, Napoleon?

We understand!!

Todays Hifi really only needs to be bought on looks alone, we know all we needed to know years ago, today it is all the same regurgitated stuff over and over again.

When it comes to cables, you buy the ones the look the best or will impressive your buddies the most, they are fools but they will admire you though.

Whatever you do, don't tell anyone you've spent over a fiver on cables, however it is perfectly fine to tell everyone how much you've just spent servicing your BMW or how much your wife's Porsche cost you.

Absolutely not. What we see, what we perceive, what we "know", has a marked effect upon what we hear.

Linn & Naim built an empire on this particular phenomena. If you weren't around at the time, ask about the toe-tapping salesmen.

Also, the effect is just so very well researched & documented. We hear what we expect to hear. You have to try to remove expectations, conscious & unconscious before you can trust your ears.

Chris

BUT, isn't it about a holistic viewpoint? Listening to music for me is an emotional experience.

BUT, isn't it about a holistic viewpoint? Listening to music for me is an emotional experience.

Indeed, but for many here it seems that Hifi as a hobby has little go do with listening to music and everything to do with perceiving differences in the sound of equipment.

Bake-offs all seem to be about comparing kit. I've not heard of a single bake-off to compare different versions of a Beethoven symphony, for instance.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back