advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your pretty much happy with what you have I don't see the problem with waiting. I am enjoying my system and am very keen on the idea of getting my MDAC upgraded like some have on here and getting the MPAX. It will come along at some point. If you have nothing to play music on then I can understand going elsewhere but if it's just about patience then hang in there :)

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so my apologies if I'm being repetative. Does V0.90 once installed (via windows) still work when connected with a Mac? I only ask because there is only a windows installation option for V0.90, making me belive the answer to my own question is no.

Thanks,
Harry

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so my apologies if I'm being repetative. Does V0.90 once installed (via windows) still work when connected with a Mac? I only ask because there is only a windows installation option for V0.90, making me belive the answer to my own question is no.

Thanks,
Harry

Yesterday I installed V0.90 to compare it against A.10 and had no problems using the M-DAC connected to my Mac Mini.

If your pretty much happy with what you have I don't see the problem with waiting. I am enjoying my system and am very keen on the idea of getting my MDAC upgraded like some have on here and getting the MPAX. It will come along at some point. If you have nothing to play music on then I can understand going elsewhere but if it's just about patience then hang in there :)

Unfortunately I currently don't have a system, just an M-DAC and headphones. I have wanted to rebuild a system for some time and plan on doing so based on using the M-DAC. Hence my enquiry to JW regarding availability of products for auditioning.

Unfortunately I currently don't have a system, just an M-DAC and headphones. I have wanted to rebuild a system for some time and plan on doing so based on using the M-DAC. Hence my enquiry to JW regarding availability of products for auditioning.

Then I do understand your frustration. I've been on here a while now and until firm dates are known I can't see any promises being made. Even then dates are likely to move. The good thing about being part of this community is you get to hear about things early. The bad part is then the waiting. I waited for the MDAC as it was a product that did what I wanted at the right price. It was worth the wait and the support is great :)

...On our Peachtree Decco / Nova designs we designed the volume for a sensible range - so many dealers said that it felt like it lacked power as they have to turn the volume control up so far (normal listening levels where about 12 to 1 Oclock position)... yet of course the maximum output power was not effected. In fact the distributor in HK refused to take the product as he felt uncomfortable about how high he had to turn the volume control - what a total idiot...

The world is full of fools. Unfortunately, the rest have to work around their stupidity. Many people just copy the mistakes of the past rather than having the passion to do things right. Every amp I've own was getting pretty damn loud by 12'O clock - all that gain just to be attenuated because that's what's been done before by everyone else.

Hi John.

Simon's just left. We had a couple of hours listening to the modded dac.

But much more fabbly he's left it here with me overnight!!! :eek::eek:

What a guy eh? :D

Even now I can tell you there will be no negatives in my modest appraisal.

I was planning on going out today, but I've cancelled those plans and ill be doing a day of serious listening instead.

The world is full of fools. Unfortunately, the rest have to work around their stupidity. Many people just copy the mistakes of the past rather than having the passion to do things right. Every amp I've own was getting pretty damn loud by 12'O clock - all that gain just to be attenuated because that's what's been done before by everyone else.

So Frank Zappa was corect in his theory ?

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/frankzappa106017.html

:D

Hi John, I have an idea for a future project. The main problem of hifi is often the room enviroment. How about building a simple parametric equaliser with 3 filters, to take care of the room's height, width and length resonances. A microphone and computer would be needed to make the adjustment.

Hi John, I have an idea for a future project. The main problem of hifi is often the room enviroment. How about building a simple parametric equaliser with 3 filters, to take care of the room's height, width and length resonances. A microphone and computer would be needed to make the adjustment.

Nooooooooooooo!

Generally enjoying this app with my MDAC apart from one annoying aspect.... whenever the bitrate changes on music streaming from my NAS, the first second of music cuts out as the MDAC switches.

Listening to an entire album of the same bitrate music is fine, but switching tracks between bitrates results in an annoying cut out.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

D

No idea if this is feasable?

But if it is I think it's an excellent idea and might well be a very good seller indeed.

Generally enjoying this app with my MDAC apart from one annoying aspect.... whenever the bitrate changes on music streaming from my NAS, the first second of music cuts out as the MDAC switches.
D

Everyone is happy to point their finger at the MDAC when it is more likely the
Audio player in the NAS.

Have you checked that you are getting 'bit perfect' output into the MDAC ?.

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC

Everyone is happy to point their finger at the MDAC when it is more likely the
Audio player in the NAS.

Have you checked that you are getting 'bit perfect' output into the MDAC ?.

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC
Actually this is a known "issue" and has been discussed here before in some of the MDAC threads - if I recall correctly, SPDIF has no way of postponing the playback while the device reclocks, USB has, but it's not provided by design and the MDAC doesn't go the extra mile, so the symptoms are the same.

I remember someone mentioning a CD player feature to keep the SPDIF "in lock" for a second (or two) before sending actual data and the problem appeared to be more generic from that discussion.

Feel free to correct me, though.

Yesterday I installed V0.90 to compare it against A.10 and had no problems using the M-DAC connected to my Mac Mini.
Thanks, I've just installed V0.90 having been on A.10 and it works fine on my Macbook Air. I haven't changed any of the default settings it comes with and I must say, I do like the sound signature of this firmware version. On A.10 I was liking the minimal phase filter quite abit! I was struggling to differentiate between any of the optimal transients but I liked those too.

Hi John, how's the MDAC? Display as still as a painting on the wall?:eek:
Ewout

There is a chance I've found your units problem - a "Pin point" sized "Ball" of solder lodged between two legs of the front panel MCU.

The solder "splatter" is a result of a Crazy EU legislation to remove lead from solder - without the lead content the solder is now "unstable" growing tin whiskers and spitting tiny solder balls in all directions when reflowed... Lead-free solder is just a nightmare for production.

I've had the unit on test for a couple of days since discovering the solder blob - I'll keep testing... the problem being the physically unstable nature of the solder blob meant is was impossible to ascertain if it resulted in a short circuit or not...

.. whenever the bitrate changes on music streaming from my NAS, the first second of music cuts out as the MDAC switches

I'm not at all sure that this is a 'reasonable' moan. Quite a lot of things need to change to accommodate different sampling rates (n.b. sample rates, not bit depth) and whatever you do, it is likely that a second or two of instability will always result.

The player application can do things to ameliorate this effect. For instance, J River has the option to play a (user-defined) period of silence at the start of a sequence to allow the playback hardware to stabilize.

I'm not at all sure that this is a 'reasonable' moan. Quite a lot of things need to change to accommodate different sampling rates (n.b. sample rates, not bit depth) and whatever you do, it is likely that a second or two of instability will always result.

The player application can do things to ameliorate this effect. For instance, J River has the option to play a (user-defined) period of silence at the start of a sequence to allow the playback hardware to stabilize.

To clarify.. i'm using EDO/USB output from the Touch... and you're right, it's definitely sample rate not bit depth changes that cause the "instability" - it's annoying. I either have to listen to complete albums to avoid it, which defeats the point of streaming and all that random access musical loveliness.

JohnW> is there any way around this at all?

Many thanks

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back