advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my M-Dac with a Mac Mini - I use the Pure Audio software for replay.

I have no problems playing music on my hard drive via iTunes using a USB connection. However, if I stream music - eg. BBC and Qobuz, I get brief 'burbling' distortion from both channels every 20 minutes or so. This only lasts for a second or less, then everything's back to normal.

The odd thing is that if I use an optical connection rather than USB there isn't a problem.

It's easy enough to switch to optical for Qobuz etc, but I'd prefer to not have to.

Any ideas about a solution? I'm using the latest firmware, and have tried all the jitter settings.

Paul came round to mine yesterday and bought his boggo Mdac. We stacked them on top of each other and listened through a few tracks. Good as the basic Mdac is the differences are immediately obvious when listening to the modded version. It was interesting to do multiple quick swap overs, about ten seconds. Each swap just further reinforced my view on how the modded unit sounds.

You boys should start getting your names on the list.

Myself and mr_phil (my Dad) did the same when I got my sovereigned mdac.. And also compared to his stock with external diy psu.. Its surprising how big a leap an external dc psu makes..

I use my M-Dac with a Mac Mini - I use the Pure Audio software for replay.

I have no problems playing music on my hard drive via iTunes using a USB connection. However, if I stream music - eg. BBC and Qobuz, I get brief 'burbling' distortion from both channels every 20 minutes or so. This only lasts for a second or less, then everything's back to normal.

The odd thing is that if I use an optical connection rather than USB there isn't a problem.

It's easy enough to switch to optical for Qobuz etc, but I'd prefer to not have to.

Any ideas about a solution? I'm using the latest firmware, and have tried all the jitter settings.

The easiest thing to try would be an Olimex or similar isolator.

Except they were about half that price about a year or less ago?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olimex-USB-ISO-usb-1000V-isolator-full-speed-development-and-audio-hifi-dac-/281057978730?_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14838%26meid%3D6663670479827806918%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D171015050629%26

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Myself and mr_phil (my Dad) did the same when I got my sovereigned mdac.. And also compared to his stock with external diy psu.. Its surprising how big a leap an external dc psu makes..

Any chance of you knocking a few of those up for sale sc?

Or just one more for a fat bald chap?

I'd try but having 11teen thumbs rather spoils the ambition?

Putting it out there My M-DAC came with V.96 and I gave V.90 a go for a week and all I can say is to me in my setup V.96 is the best it feels slightly brighter in my overall warmer setup and makes vocals / sound stage sound awesome !

Coming from an IT background I find it hard to think firmware could make this kind of difference when its been said no changes have been made.... is it mental ??!

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car, could listen many times over great vocals.

If there's serious interest in the MDAC update (GBP200 + shipping, which to the UK is a tad under GBP30) then I'll start to seriously consider it and start putting the systems in place to handle the updates.

Update service for European customers only due to customs issues.

Maybe a list will help, so I have some idea of the numbers involved.

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

If your unit is updated, then I would take on the warranty obligations for your MDAC - basically in case of any warranty issue you would pay the shipping costs - I will repair your unit.

Lifetime warranty on the updated MDAC excluding components with a finite lifetime (such as the OLED display and Capacitors etc) - in case of "Lifetime components" I'd still service your unit for free (excluding the shipping costs) but would charge you the replacement parts at our cost - Eg. once imported into Europe a new OLED panel cost about GBP15...

If your unit has a known fault (such as a sticky relay) - then please let me know and I'll service the unit during the upgrade.

I can also offer a GBP50 discount on the MPAX package for updated units (IF the MPAX makes it into production).

I believe I might also have an idea to further improve the performance of the "Upgrade" which might help reduce the negative sonic variations between software builds...

If you are considering sending your unit, then original packaging is FULLY recommend, as a couple of recent units sent to me where very badly packaged although luckily relatively undamaged once I spent time "restoring" the units - however be warned that I do not have spare mechanical items!

If there's serious interest in the MDAC update (GBP200 + shipping, which to the UK is a tad under GBP30) then I'll start to seriously consider it and start putting the systems in place to handle the updates.

Update service for European customers only due to customs issues.

Maybe a list will help, so I have some idea of the numbers involved.

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

If your unit is updated, then I would take on the warranty obligations for your MDAC - basically in case of any warranty issue you would pay the shipping costs - I will repair your unit.

Lifetime warranty on the updated MDAC excluding components with a finite lifetime (such as the OLED display and Capacitors etc) - in case of "Lifetime components" I'd still service your unit for free (excluding the shipping costs) but would charge you the replacement parts at our cost - Eg. once imported into Europe a new OLED panel cost about GBP15...

If your unit has a known fault (such as a sticky relay) - then please let me know and I'll service the unit during the upgrade.

I can also offer a GBP50 discount on the MPAX package for updated units (IF the MPAX makes it into production).

I believe I might also have an idea to further improve the performance of the "Upgrade" which might help reduce the negative sonic variations between software builds...

If you are considering sending your unit, then original packaging is FULLY recommend, as a couple of recent units sent to me where very badly packaged although luckily relatively undamaged once I spent time "restoring" the units - however be warned that I do not have spare mechanical items!

The upgrade is worth it just for the warranty!

I would be tempted to buy an MDAC specifically for it to be upgraded, especially if the TDAC is not likely to appear any time in the next year.

I haven't bought an MDAC to date because I think my modded CDQ leapfrogs its performance. I would, however like to benefit from the gains in instrumental texture derived fron modifying the MDAC that are less apparent on my CDQ.

Steven, I've not heard your modded CDQ, but the MDAC in stock form is some way ahead of the CDQ in stock form, so I imagine that the difference between a modded CDQ and a modded MDAC are similarly big.

I'm enjoying mine immensely, and I really ought to write a review like wot Simo did innit...

Steven, I've not heard your modded CDQ, but the MDAC in stock form is some way ahead of the CDQ in stock form, so I imagine that the difference between a modded CDQ and a modded MDAC are similarly big.

I'm enjoying mine immensely, and I really ought to write a review like wot Simo did innit...

Arthur's review made me want to get it. If it has made him understsnd what is meant by "texture" for the very first time it must be pretty ****ing awesome!

I think you owe it to John to write a nice (honest) review.

Btw, iirc, your CDQ is two upgrades behind mine although your MDAC is well ahead.

Any chance of you knocking a few of those up for sale sc?

Or just one more for a fat bald chap?

I'd try but having 11teen thumbs rather spoils the ambition?

Sadly no, quite happy to risk my own unit but less than comfortable with the idea of building one for someone else... Sorry.

Sam

Will happily commit to update. I plan on bringing my unit to Munich unless Lufthansa demands silly money for the additional baggage, in which case it will go in the post!

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this thorny topic!

JohnW - Are these updates the Soverign+ mods, or are they a variation on a theme? Would they complement the Soverign+ DC mods that my unit has?

Will happily commit to update. I plan on bringing my unit to Munich unless Lufthansa demands silly money for the additional baggage, in which case it will go in the post!

I spent several days shopping for a bag that would transport the CDQ as hand luggage. I found a robust bag that weighed less than 1 Kg and had the exact dimensions allowed by most European airlines. The CDQ was then bubblewrapped and placed inside.

In comparison the MDAC, being much smaller, will easier to pack. Wrap it in bubblewrap and place it in your hand luggage. Just remember to remove it from your bag before putting it on the conveyor to go through the X-Ray machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back