advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's serious interest in the MDAC update (GBP200 + shipping, which to the UK is a tad under GBP30) then I'll start to seriously consider it and start putting the systems in place to handle the updates.

hallo john

did you think about buying a new mdac incl all updates from you?

It will be interesting to her from your mdac / bdac comparing.
that will influence the mpax availability. I assume that we have to buy mpax direct form you.
did you think about buying a new mdac incl all updates + mpax from you?

----------
regards
f.s.

Will happily commit to update. I plan on bringing my unit to Munich unless Lufthansa demands silly money for the additional baggage, in which case it will go in the post!

I only need the unit itself, no Handset or PSU.

I can always find packaging to return it to you - so you only need to carry the MDAC unit itself...

JohnW - Are these updates the Soverign+ mods, or are they a variation on a theme? Would they complement the Soverign+ DC mods that my unit has?

They are based upon improving the DAC's PSU - but implemented differently, so a different sound... improvements in some areas..

If there's serious interest in the MDAC update (GBP200 + shipping, which to the UK is a tad under GBP30) then I'll start to seriously consider it and start putting the systems in place to handle the updates.

Update service for European customers only due to customs issues.

Maybe a list will help, so I have some idea of the numbers involved.

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

If your unit is updated, then I would take on the warranty obligations for your MDAC - basically in case of any warranty issue you would pay the shipping costs - I will repair your unit.

Lifetime warranty on the updated MDAC excluding components with a finite lifetime (such as the OLED display and Capacitors etc) - in case of "Lifetime components" I'd still service your unit for free (excluding the shipping costs) but would charge you the replacement parts at our cost - Eg. once imported into Europe a new OLED panel cost about GBP15...

If your unit has a known fault (such as a sticky relay) - then please let me know and I'll service the unit during the upgrade.

I can also offer a GBP50 discount on the MPAX package for updated units (IF the MPAX makes it into production).

I believe I might also have an idea to further improve the performance of the "Upgrade" which might help reduce the negative sonic variations between software builds...

If you are considering sending your unit, then original packaging is FULLY recommend, as a couple of recent units sent to me where very badly packaged although luckily relatively undamaged once I spent time "restoring" the units - however be warned that I do not have spare mechanical items!

Hi John,

Would you consider outsourcing the upgrade beyond Europe? I could probably find people to do it here in Singapore if you're interested in exploring possibilities? Singapore would give a lot of m-dac owners accessibility to the upgrade if you thought outsourcing is a viable option.

Cheers,
Bruce

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this thorny topic!

Well, my idea is to put the font panel MCU / Audio interface onto the spectrum analyser - suspect I'll find quite significant differences if RF spurie - Ill then work on reducing these spurie best I can by modifying the MCU PSU etc...

Its only worth spending the time if I'm guaranteed interested in the modifications from owners - lets say 10 units to be updated, then its worth spending a couple of days to tweak this aspect of the design as I hate the fact the SQ is being effected the way it is by the software. there's no guarantee it will resolve the differences - but at the very least it should help reduce the impact of software processing patterns on the SQ (and provide interesting research for me).

Hi John,

Would you consider outsourcing the upgrade beyond Europe? I could probably find people to do it here in Singapore if you're interested in exploring possibilities? Singapore would give a lot of m-dac owners accessibility to the upgrade if you thought outsourcing is a viable option.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce,

The update involves removing and replacing SMD components, modifying the PCB layout and then testing with an FFT analyser with -165dB noise floor to confirm performance.

Its a very involved process - not something I can image 3rd partys completing - not so bad if it goes well, but can quickly get complicated if there is an issue.

John

Bruce,

The update involves removing and replacing SMD components, modifying the PCB layout and then testing with an FFT analyser with -165dB noise floor to confirm performance.

Its a very involved process - not something I can image 3rd partys completing - not so bad if it goes well, but can quickly get complicated if there is an issue.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply and explanation of the complexities. That's a shame but it was worth discussing the idea.

Thanks,
Bruce

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

John:

By ' "simple" DIY job ' do you mean simple for people who do their own electronic work and have some experience and skill in these things, or "simple" for someone like me who has no such skills? My skill level is about what is required to replace a CD drive or hard drive on a computer (i.e. unplugging and unscrewing the old one and doing the reverse for the new one).

I'm seriously interested in the upgrade and the MPAX. If the latter will go ahead then I'd probably be better waiting for the upgrade to be done at the same time. On the other hand, if the MPAX is doubtful, then I'd prefer to have the upgrade and buy a third party power supply, if there's one that is any good.

Of course, if the BDAC is going to be better than the upgraded MDAC + MPAX, then I'd be better off buying the BDAC and selling the MDAC.

Decisions, decisions...

- Richard.

I think you owe it to John to write a nice (honest) review.
You're right, I've just been a bit busy with various other things and also giving it some time to burn-in. I'm fairly quiet tomorrow morning so might try to set something down then...

Still interested in the Update - Hope there is no Date Limit. Money needs to be worked for and House and Family are on First place... If there is no problem waiting one or two month I'll join the List...

Joachim

John:

By ' "simple" DIY job ' do you mean simple for people who do their own electronic work and have some experience and skill in these things, or "simple" for someone like me who has no such skills? My skill level is about what is required to replace a CD drive or hard drive on a computer (i.e. unplugging and unscrewing the old one and doing the reverse for the new one).

Yes, its just requires opening your unit, and replacing a PCB (Just unplug and swapping a PCB, no soldering required) - I'll even post a Youtube video showing how to do it...

I'm seriously interested in the upgrade and the MPAX. If the latter will go ahead then I'd probably be better waiting for the upgrade to be done at the same time. On the other hand, if the MPAX is doubtful, then I'd prefer to have the upgrade and buy a third party power supply, if there's one that is any good.

Of course, if the BDAC is going to be better than the upgraded MDAC + MPAX, then I'd be better off buying the BDAC and selling the MDAC.

Decisions, decisions...

- Richard.

Well the BDAC is the reason the we are holding off on the MPAX - as the BDAC will be maybe only GBP 100 more expensive then the MPAX...

The MDAC mainboard upgrades bring a significant leap in performance so I'd say offer good value for money... Maybe a good compromise until we "hear' how the BDAC works out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back