advertisement

Hypex Ncore - as good as all that?

no problem..

i will bring Dr Hickenbacker's patented ear-o-balanced-horn-o-meterydoodah

Man-uses-an-ear-trumpet-008.jpg

then we can relax knowing every last higgs-boson particle in the space-time continuum is in synch and....

....contd on page 298

I thought that was cliffpatte in the early days before he got used to the viewfinder...

How is the HF reproduction? The main thing that keeps me away from class D is the low switching frequency.

It's terrible, you can hear the whine of the carrier through everything.

Or

You have never heard a decent class D implementation. The HF on the UCDs was very good, and the nCores are on another level. Your tweeters will determine HF quality much more than the amps.

But now you have TOLD US this, we will be bias both for AND against everything.
The fact that we are even talking about it makes the whole test invalid. :/

Oh well, suppose we can just stuff our faces and get drunk instead...

Blimey, been lurking around that Hypex store again and funnily a strange and mystical wind blew blew through my ears causing a moment of absolute madness. :D

Ha ha, it's so hard to ignore the voices. I'm sure you'll enjoy them and it'll be good for us hackernap owners to have someone as a reference for the differences in the two implemantations. If you don't like them i doubt they'll have lost any value. Did you get the switching supplie as well?

Stefan

Have a couple of nCore monos here now. Not sure about them yet, I need to try them with a couple of preamps and speakers. First impression - they do the vanishing act very well and have brutal control over the speaker.

She has no idea of the costs, infact she is not aware I made the purchase.
We have a joint account to cover the bills but after that we stand on our own.
Infact she thinks the bits are just a few pence or pounds each and she only sees what I show :D

The upside of all this deceipt is that she enjoys the music being oblivious to the costs which is sort of kind of me :D

Have a couple of nCore monos here now. Not sure about them yet, I need to try them with a couple of preamps and speakers. First impression - they do the vanishing act very well and have brutal control over the speaker.
Markus, I do hope you can keep us updated on progress. Have you tried them with the 6332s?

I'm very keen to build a pair, intially to drive my Tannoy 12 DMTs, but I've no idea what preamp direction to head in.

What cases did you buy?

I'm very keen to build a pair, intially to drive my Tannoy 12 DMTs, but I've no idea what preamp direction to head in.

What cases did you buy?

Hi Greg,

Here's a link to the cases I used when building mine:

http://www.siliconray.com/james-romeyn-re2207-jrnc-enclosure-for-ncore.html

They are pre-drilled for the SMPS and amp module. Cut-outs in place for IEC, binding posts and XLR as well. Great build quality and not all that expensive considering the quality of the finish.

I've just found this thread and have become intrigued.

I have a pair of AVI trios which I'd like amplified properly from my MDac.

I was thinking an active answer to this conundrum, but that seems prohibitively expensive. In fact, if I got it right the price made me wince, but I'm not sure I did.

But about £ 1100 or so might be doable shortly.

But I can't get passed the idea of a decent pair of three ways actively amped with these N-cores.

Any thoughts on my silliness?

They really don't put much heat out under load. Worth bearing in mind that the MDAC does a great job as a source for these amps, but didn't quite extract the best from these. Slippery slope possibly awaits. My pair of amps are now sitting on a set of Usher mini-dancer 2 DMDs + Mytek 192 DSD DAC. It truly comes alive with good DSD - nothing I've heard touches it.

No bake off as yet..as far as I know. Still waiting.

I wonder what the Ncores would be like powered by an ordinary PSU like a hackerCAP?

advertisement

Back