advertisement

Digital Strategy - What's the best way to go for sound quality

If you're enjoying the music, what your system is doesnt matter.

I still can't see how this is worth £4200:

dac202.jpg

Ash,

I really can't believe you are willing to dispute what John Westlake is telling you. He's the gifted engineer, you are a salesman.

I see your lapdog darren has made a return to your threads...

He's not even qualified!

Martin was designing DACs for military applications in the early eighties, AVI had its first in '91 and a year later we had a licence to manufacture CD players and produced our first. We not only designed it from scratch rather than use a Philips kit, but also wrote all the software in house. The DACs were 20 Bit Burr Brown in dual co-linear configuration, so similar to the expensive Naim now. Paul Miller reviewed it for hi fi News and Geoffrey Horn for Gramophone, both were very flattering and noted that the measurements were textbook. As a result the Burr Brown engineer came over from Japan to visit us and compare our efforts with his reference DAC. He couldn't hear any difference and congratulated Martin on his efforts.

We subsequently designed another 8 odd CD players before discontinuing them in June 2006 for a better solution that sells in far larger numbers.

It takes a properly trained and qualified engineer who has worked in a disciplined environment to do a proper job, or it certainly did back in the nineties, now any idiot can copy the chip manufacturers instructions because they are so simple, although some do still screw up.

Ash

He's not even qualified!

Martin was designing DACs for military applications in the early eighties, AVI had its first in '91 and a year later we had a licence to manufacture CD players and produced our first. We not only designed it from scratch rather than use a Philips kit, but also wrote all the software in house. The DACs were 20 Bit Burr Brown in dual co-linear configuration, so similar to the expensive Naim now. Paul Miller reviewed it for hi fi News and Geoffrey Horn for Gramophone, both were very flattering and noted that the measurements were textbook. As a result the Burr Brown engineer came over from Japan to visit us and compare our efforts with his reference DAC. He couldn't hear any difference and congratulated Martin on his efforts.

We subsequently designed another 8 odd CD players before discontinuing them in June 2006 for a better solution that sells in far larger numbers.

It takes a properly trained and qualified engineer who has worked in a disciplined environment to do a proper job, or it certainly did back in the nineties, now any idiot can copy the chip manufacturers instructions because they are so simple, although some do still screw up.

Ash

How come, when you get a review that goes your way you quote it. Then when you get a bad one you say all mags are shite - make your mind up Ashley ...

Are you saying that Martin was the first to design a decent DAC :eek:

He's not even qualified!

Ash

Low ball Ashley, even by your standards. Makes you look like a right tit.

Rubbish!

I'm not taking that sort of cheek from anyone.

BTW we're about to introduce a new product. They are twice the power of yours, they produce 3000 Watt peaks, produce more bass, are half the size and quarter the price.

We can do it because we've kept pace with developments and because we have the engineering skills.

Ash

PS. Remote control, multiple digital inputs, DAC etc.

Rubbish!

I'm not taking that sort of cheek from anyone.

BTW we're about to introduce a new product. They are twice the power of yours, they produce 3000 Watt peaks, produce more bass, are half the size and quarter the price.
We can do it because we've kept pace with developments and because we have the enngineering skills.

Ash

So is that a submission to say your speakerettes are crap then ?? Or have you now introduced enough of an AVI spam-bot to take over the thread and advertise you new fancy speakers that go 3000 x beyond perfection..

We can do it because we've kept pace with developments and because we have the engineering skills.

Ash

Yes its pretty much exactly the same as i put together last year, you told me i was deaf as i remember, your chief designer might be qualified, but he certainly isnt original! :D

advertisement

Back