advertisement

Digital Strategy - What's the best way to go for sound quality

****, thats some neat photoshop work mate, you took those pics when 2009 IIRC?

I like the dark finish myself. (giggle)

fg.jpg

Why AVI didnt do this instead i dont know, then ADM owners could upgrade their speakers with a high pass crossover to the mains and dual subs/stands, i guess they want you to buy a whole new speaker instead!

As a digital audio designer, I spend a vast amount of time listening to DAC’s; I therefore believe I'm in a good position to comment on the Audible effects of Jitter.

For me, the greatest Audible effect of Jitter is to collapse the L-R sound stage. It takes a very good system to be able to portray a “Wide" sound stage in the first instance - so I can believe that many people would not realise what is missing in the first place.

What I’m trying to say is, that you could upgrade your system with a DAC that has very good “Jitter” performance, but not gain the audible benefit due to weakness elsewhere within the replay chain…

John

Without saying ' I told you So ' (no directed at you John) this backs up exactly what i experienced when listening to a Mac/dac1 vs Mac/Av2 vs CDS3/555PS all into 552>500. While all had good detail none of them compared to the CDS3 setup when it came to sound stage and realism. Neither had the same control over the lower end of the bass. I think all will agree a 552/500 is going to be a little more revealing than a Yamaha DSP. I think what you are hearing, or not hearing as the case may be' is no mater what Dac you use you hear no difference because you have a serious bottle neck somewhere in the system your using to compare them.Basically the £70 is more than ample for the rest. You need to concentrate on everything else first then am sure you will find that your Dac becomes the bottle neck. To me the difference is very audible. Granted i havnt tried many dacs but on the 3 i have tried the more expensive they got the better they got at portraying music with a presence in the room.

By an M-Audio Transit and try and better it. Currently they are about £70.

Ash
Or try an Asus Essence ST/STX, especially if you're a headphone user. Best £140 I ever spent on an audio component. Both audiophools and engineers seem to agree its performance is stellar.

HK

Rubbish!

I'm not taking that sort of cheek from anyone.

BTW we're about to introduce a new product. They are twice the power of yours, they produce 3000 Watt peaks, produce more bass, are half the size and quarter the price.

We can do it because we've kept pace with developments and because we have the engineering skills.

Ash

PS. Remote control, multiple digital inputs, DAC etc.

So you're back on here to create more bad press for yourselves. Well thanks again.

Any news is quite obviously good news.

Rubbish!

I'm not taking that sort of cheek from anyone.

BTW we're about to introduce a new product. They are twice the power of yours, they produce 3000 Watt peaks, produce more bass, are half the size and quarter the price.

We can do it because we've kept pace with developments and because we have the engineering skills.

Ash

PS. Remote control, multiple digital inputs, DAC etc.

Ash,

This is precisely the kind of crass promotion of commercial interests that is frowned upon in the general audio rooms. One more post like that and you'll be banned permanently.

Markus - moderating

Ash,

This is precisely the kind of crass promotion of commercial interests that is frowned upon in the general audio rooms.

One more post like that and you'll be banned permanently.

Markus - moderating

Unfair to the rest of us!

Martin has finally brought his space shuttle design skills to bear upon the three way speaker, previously and universally considered a highly flawed and inherently inferior design when compared with a simple 2 way speaker. Yet somehow he has prevailed, and AVI is about to unveil the

"World's Greatest 3-Way Speaker"!!!

You want to keep that bottled up? PFM is a brutally repressive regime.

I do feel bad for all the owners of the current Word's Best Speaker, since now they are just ordinary speakers again. But at least they can bask in the glory of having once been the champs.

advertisement

Back