advertisement

Your amp history...

Ray,

You do. ( or perhaps different speakers )

But I was even fine with a CDX with it.

I did run it with a CD2, which I don't think helped either. The CD2 is not a lush-sounding machine. I even had it split-Nait by NANA and used it with a Hi-Cap. It was going to be my end-all Naim system, but it was not to be. No regrets (although I included it on an earlier thread list), I had to try it for myself.

I sold my LP12/Ittok/OC9 years back (stupid), and I don't have the money for Watt's. ;)

National Panisonic,cant remember model.
these were the the days when I played in a rock band and was always swaping amps and pedals trying to find "my sound"within the band,had no money for hifi.
Marantz,again cant recall which model,mostly drunk or playing or both.
pioneer midi system1990s amp with a built in dac!for the cd transport and DAT player,I still have it stored and might squeezbox it some day.
Rotel RA03 My first real hifi amp OK but a bit to forward at the time.
Cyrus 7.
Cyrus Prexvs and X power.
Cyrus Prexvs 2x X power biamped,2 months later added a psxr to the pre.
this was getting more out of the speakers but I realised that the sound stage was all wrong,the treble was wider than the mid/bass,but did have real depth and holigraphic imaging.
Cyrus Prexvs+psxr 2x X powers in mono, better than above,more musical,dynamics,timeing less imaging an hifi
Nait5,nice.
Nait5,very good in a small room
202-200-napsc2, now we are realy cooking,can live with this for a long time.

I did run it with a CD2, which I don't think helped either. The CD2 is not a lush-sounding machine. I even had it split-Nait by NANA and used it with a Hi-Cap. It was going to be my end-all Naim system, but it was not to be. No regrets (although I included it on an earlier thread list), I had to try it for myself.
Ray,

The worst *digital* sound I've heard using my 3R/HC was with a bare Squeezebox2 + Kan I or n-SATs.

But 90% of the time, it's been used with an analogue source.
I'm using it as a power amp now.

Yamaha something- teh !
Inherited my Dad's Harman Kardon Receiver
Nait 2
Nait 3
Back to Nait 2, (figure that one out.)
Naim 72, 140...kinda boring,... got rid of it after a few months
Full circle. Back to Dad's HK reciever ...for the past 10 years or so...

bye

Heathkit ST-15A(?) integrated 15WPC tube amp
(Dinosaurs rule the Earth)
Marantz 1030 integrated amp
Crown IC-150 pre, DC-150 power, w\OC-150 (only for its ubercool VU meters)
(heavy drug and alcohol consumption prevents accurate listings temporarily until we begin Dave's Naim period)
Hafler DH-101 pre, Marantz 140 power
ARC SP3A pre, ARC D-79 power
Levinson JC-1 Pre, Sumo Gold power
Theta Pre
Naim PNAG Pre-pre, AEA pre, Audionics CC2 (bridged pair)
Rappaport Pre-1
1979 -if six was nine
Naim 42/110/SNAPS
Linn LK-1, LK-2, LK-2\75 and 80
Naim 72/HC/250
Naim 102 pre w/NAPSC

Thinking the same thing here, Kuma. I don't think I've ever heard 'em in my journeys either. I'd love to hear best -of -breed SETs as well as Quads latest ESL offerings.

it's mind boggling that we now have more choices in amplifiers than ever before.
Naim route is not a bad place to end up, tho.

Ray,

The worst *digital* sound I've heard using my 3R/HC was with a bare Squeezebox2 + Kan I or n-SATs.

But 90% of the time, it's been used with an analogue source.
I'm using it as a power amp now.

Kuma,

I guess we at least agree the 3R/HC does not suffer incompatible sources. You're using a 52 to drive the 3R? Try to find a re-capped 110 (if you haven't tried one already). I'd bet that you'd really like it.

Ooh lets see its crosses over with the Preamps (as its integrateds) to begin

Mission Cyrus One (int)
Naim NAIT (int)
Naim NAP250
2 x Linn LK280/Spark
Avondale M2s (on loan while I waited for...)
ECS EA1 mono protoypes (early Mana STEALTH)

Currently: active ATC SCM100ASLs

1982-92 NAD 3020
1992-02 Pioneer A400
2002-Present Nap 160 (thanks Fatmarley; sounded great after Kendeill re-cap).

advertisement

Back