Meridian 502/557
Nait 5i
Nait XS
282/200
252/250
Rega Elicit R
Chord TT2/Ultima 6
Hegel 590
Interested in your last two as I went from Hegel H360 via MBL C51 to TT2 into Chord Ultima 6. Each step was an improvement and the MBL and Chord amps are probably of equal merit although the MBL has relatively speaking a slight softness and warmth in comparison. I bought the Ultima 6 ex dem with not many hours on it and at first found it had a rather “cold” sound but after some months it strikes me as now being just right, almost as warm as the MBL but with more, or at least an impression of, resolution.

As for my amp list, these are the ones I can remember:
Rogers Ravensbrook
Quad 33/303
Quad 44/405
Quad 44/606 (606 still going strong)
Arcam P80
Quad 909 (x2, both in need of repair)
Quad Two Forty valves with Quad valve pre
B.A.T. Big, heavy solid state four channel thing.
B.A.T. VK3/ VK75
Hegel H360
MBL C51
Chord Ultima 6

Sharp reciever (inherited from my Dad in the 70s)
Audiolab 8000A
Audiolab 8000 P / C
Chord 1200E / 3200E
Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate
Bryston 4BSSST
McIntosh MA6900
Bryston BP26 / 4BSST2 (again)
Audio Research LS25 / Power (?)
Simaudio Moon 600i

Really not that many compared to some of you:-

Technics CDX1 Midi System - my 1st bedroom set up, it looked ace, even better when I added the matching graphic equaliser WOW!!!
Rotel RA820AX - 1st separates amp - lovely
Technics SU-A700 - after reading either Audiophile or Hi-Fi News review, preferred over identical but non-remote A600 version. Had a cooling fan in it !
NAD C320 - great amp, loads of grunt
Arcam A80 - Seduced by the A85 reviews, I couldn't afford the A85 so went for the £600 A80 from Practical HiFi (now Audio T) in Manchester. It was very sophisticated in its operation; it was woeful in its sound, absolutely dreadful, very dull and flat

Then went away from HiFi for a bit, returned with:-

Arcam Solo - Good, looked slick and made nice noises
Arcam Delta 290P - added to the Solo, more boxes looked good, made no difference whatsoever
Audiolab 8000P - replaced the 290P, no difference, maybe worse ? Solo sounded fine on it's own
Linn Classik - Ok, bit clinical
Linn LK140 - added to Classik, no less clinical, couldn't tell any difference again
Rega Brio-R - Excellent, proper Hi-Fi again, sold on too quickly
Exposure 1010 (silver) - with retina-mauling blue LEDs - sounds ace
Naim Nait 5i-2 - Bigger overall sound than 1010, annoying transformer hum at idle
Exposure 1010 (black) - as 1010 above but with easier-on-the-eye (literally) red LEDs
Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp - used with a Naim Uniti, a pattern emerges here where adding Power Amp to All-in-one preamp makes negligible difference
Exposure 2010 S2D Int - Magnificent (briefly used with 2010 Power, you guessed it !)
Exposure 3010S2D - As magnificent as the 2010S2D, just a bit bigger
Naim Uniti Nova - modern all-in-one goodness, many would be able to settle with this as their 'only', hideously expensive when new. Great sound but mine had annoying non wake-up from standby issue that Naim failed to fix
Rega Elex-R - Current and superb, have compared it with Exposure 2510 and Elicit Mk5 at home and it's still here !

Could have sworn I did this earlier. Bolded entries are the amplifiers I still own. Just purchased the FW B1 when blood sugar was low and have no clue what I'll pair it with. I'm a total sucker for dual volume pots....

Akai Receiver
Denon PMA-530
Nait 1
B&K Pro 5/ST-120
ARC SP9/Classic 30
Nait 3
Nac 72 NJ cards/Hicap/180
Audio Space AS3i
Audiomat Arpege Reference
Audio Zone Amp-1
Nait 1
Nac 72 NJ cards/Hicap/140
Atoll IN100SE
Unison Research SR1
Croft 25/Model 7
Clones 25iR (50W)
Belles Aria
Jadis I35
Audial Model A

LTA MZ2/LPS/Audio Sector Patek SE
First Watt B1 and TBD

Duette SA-400
Some horrible Amstrad receiver (went straight back, and swapped for):
Sony TA-AX2
Musical Fidelity B1
Cyrus 8VS2

That's all folks!

Leak Stereo 30 plus
QUAD 33/303
QUAD 34/303
Musical Fidelity Preamp/303
Exposure 6/7/8
ATC 150 wpc Integrated Mk2

Not bad for 53 year in the game and all new.

The only mistake was the early 34 which was needed for an MC cart. The sound was clunky compared to the 33 and soon went.

I have had many amplifiers in 40 years.
Here is a list of my favourites

Started with a Nad 3020i (still have it)
Audiolab 8000S - powerful but souless
Naim Nait 5i - much better but ruined by the bloody hum
Naim Nait 2 - all the amp I need
Exposure XX Super - Probably the best amp I had and still own
Quad 303 recently serviced and is currently powering my Falcon Acoustics Q7

Could have sworn I did this earlier. Bolded entries are the amplifiers I still own. Just purchased the FW B1 when blood sugar was low and have no clue what I'll pair it with. I'm a total sucker for dual volume pots....

Akai Receiver
Denon PMA-530
Nait 1
B&K Pro 5/ST-120
ARC SP9/Classic 30
Nait 3
Nac 72 NJ cards/Hicap/180
Audio Space AS3i
Audiomat Arpege Reference
Audio Zone Amp-1
Nait 1
Nac 72 NJ cards/Hicap/140
Atoll IN100SE
Unison Research SR1
Croft 25/Model 7
Clones 25iR (50W)
Belles Aria
Jadis I35
Audial Model A

LTA MZ2/LPS/Audio Sector Patek SE
First Watt B1 and TBD

How did you like the Audiomat?

You guys have incredible memories !! I couldnt begin to remember a good many of the amps i have had .it would run to several pages !!

Alternatively, some of us simply tend to he happy for long periods with the same kit. :)

The Sinclair 2000 was crap, and probably dangerous. So I was glad to see the back of it when I got something better. But from then on I've kept each amp for a longer time. That now equates to c 40 years for the 800s. Still vey happy with them and just worry that at some point they may need work I can't do to keep them going. Also happy with a 626 for the dining room + kitchen speakers/ system.

Rather spend the money on more music. :)

Armstrong 426 Receiver - bought second hand, how I loved the Purple Dial, warm sounding, not very detailed yet somehow endearing

Sadly, most 'better halves* HATED the appearance of the 400 range. So they didn't sell very well. Hence the swift redesign into the 500 which sold like hot cakes despite being much the same inside the boxes. From ugly to " 'Which' Best Buy"!!

How did you like the Audiomat?

I was very happy with the Audiomat. Big believer in regional pairings and it matched beautifully with Reynaud Duets but also surprisingly well with Harbeth P3 which I thought was pretty average sounding with the Naim amplifiers I had on hand. Owned it for about a decade and never a hiccup as ran flawlessly. The CND distributor highly recommends Actinote cables and definite synergy. The Audiomat was a bit of a head scratcher as it did need careful speaker pairings as purchased for some Spendor S3/5's and was nothing special as well with 2/3E's and KEF LS50 but was outstanding with Reynaud and baby Harbeths.

I was very happy with the Audiomat. Big believer in regional pairings and it matched beautifully with Reynaud Duets but also surprisingly well with Harbeth P3 which I thought was pretty average sounding with the Naim amplifiers I had on hand. Owned it for about a decade and never a hiccup as ran flawlessly. The CND distributor highly recommends Actinote cables and definite synergy. The Audiomat was a bit of a head scratcher as it did need careful speaker pairings as purchased for some Spendor S3/5's and was nothing special as well with 2/3E's and KEF LS50 but was outstanding with Reynaud and baby Harbeths.

Thanks, JM-Reynauds are great speakers. I’ve actually had Twin Signatures in the past and was thinking at the time to try out the Audiomat Arpege. Since I couldn’t find a dealer in the neighborhood it never happened. The Reynauds also played beautifully with the Electrocompaniet eci2 amp I had at the time.
Not sure if the Audiomat would pair well with the Larsen’s I have now. And I’m very happy with the Quad/Lfd amplification.

Arcam Alpha 8
Yamaha CR-620
Yamaha CR-1020 later with Avondale S100
Yamaha A-S1100
Yamaha CR-1020 again with Arcam Delta 290p
Accuphase E-206
XTZ something power amp.
Bel Canto something power amp.
Avondale S100 again with Nac 72
Leak Stereo 20.

Feel like a valve convert for now but would love to hear the modern Yamaha again with my NS1000.

1979 JVC receiver possibly R-S5l but am not sure. liked it especially tuner section.
1984 Rotel RA 820BX2. Never really liked it.
1987 Naim 32.5/110 amazing from day one
1988 Added Hicap , Did not notice a difference (in retrospect I think I may not have had the cables correct)
2000 (about) Serviced 32.5/110, Took the option to upgrade to 140 as part of the service. Made no difference.
2009 Naim 250 (CB) added, nice improvement to bass but not noticeably more transparent or otherwise better.
2010 (about) bought Avondale boards for 32.5, better in some ways but when I put back the standard boards I never played the Avondale boards again.
2014 250 serviced at Witch Hat. A big improvement
2016, RSL boards for 32.5. Big upgrade. The standard boards have never gone back in.
2016 Hicap service, again worthwhile
2021 bought a Witch Hat XLR cable for the 250. Made no difference.
2022 NAP 250DR added and its a good upgrade. Could this be my last power amp?

Mid 1970s home made, preamp with op-amps in, home made power amp.
Early 80s, discrete pre-amp, prototype of what became Maclaren 02, better home made power amp.
Mid 80s to present, production (series 1) Maclaren 602 pre 2x902 power. Some servicing, and a few small tweaks made over the years.

I have done some amp designs for other people; for example, see the B4 on the DIY pages.

advertisement

Back