advertisement

Why is a streamer better than a desktop/laptop running e.g. iTunes?

Read again - everything becomes obsolete ’in time’. Nobody said what that timeframe is. It applies equally to dedicated streamers as to general computers. Nobody is telling you to change your computer just for the hell of it.
I read again. He is using a Mac from 2016, while I am using a PC from 2015, but Windows machines are the worst, hence my response.

You can install macOS on an external SSD and boot from that. Your internal disk can be used for data storage. If you use an M.2 SATA SSD it will be small and could be attached at the back of the iMac.

DV

Read again - everything becomes obsolete ’in time’. Nobody said what that timeframe is. It applies equally to dedicated streamers as to general computers. Nobody is telling you to change your computer just for the hell of it.
Its the hardware components. The manufacturers of the various parts that need software drivers stop providing the necessary updates for newer O/S.

For example I am running Sonoma on a 2015 MacBook Air. How? In a VM running under Windows 11 Pro. That latter combo provides the translation for the newer components that Sonoma expects to the older now non-supported (by Apple) 2015 Air.

I also have Win 11 Pro running on a 2012 Mac Mini.

DV

Last edited:
You can install macOS on an external SSD and boot from that. Your internal disk can be used for data storage. If you use an M.2 SATA SSD it will be small and could be attached at the back of the iMac.

DV
Thanks. I'd considered that option but worry about stability.
I use 3D BIM/CAD software which is very resource-demanding.

Its the hardware components. The manufacturers of the various parts that need software drivers stop providing the necessary updates for newer O/S.

For example I am running Sonoma on a 2015 MacBook Air. How? In a VM running under Windows 11 Pro. That latter combo provides the translation for the newer components that Sonoma expects to the older now non-supported (by Apple) 2015 Air.

I also have Win 11 Pro running on a 2012 Mac Mini.

DV
lol.

DV
I’ve been using an external SSD with no issues for a couple of weeks now, thanks.

advertisement

Back