advertisement

Why is a streamer better than a desktop/laptop running e.g. iTunes?

I've never had a streamer and I can't see what the benefit of a dedicated box is over a desktop/laptop, which in my case is a Mac desktop running iTunes. I use it for YouTube and occasionally dropping in on Spotify. Very convenient since all my other source material (TV, Internet, Archived CDs) is also on the Mac. Everything in one place.

So with a streamer how does it work? You have a remote control presumably? But surely that's a lot more clunky than a full computer screen with a mouse and keyboard?

Educate me here.....

I have the same questions.

(Using iPad / MacBook / iPhone with ripped, lossless ALAC files played from iTunes [now called APPLE MUSIC] or streaming hi-res music from China’s TIDAL service named QQMUSIC to our CHORD QUTEST DAC. )

Whilst others above have kindly shared their experiences - in other words, “I tried this…” - I don’t think the OP’s questions have been fully answered yet.

I’m also hoping to be educated… 😁

I don’t think it is when a computer is appropriately configured. I used a Mac Mini with Pure Music running into my asynchronous DAC.

What streamers offer is far less faff. They just work. that was not my experience of using a computer as a digital source.

Using a PC/Mac for streaming is a bridge between the past and the present, Screen Share/VNC is even more old school and totally inappropriate for streaming. If you want to embrace streaming then you have to get on board with control via a phone/tablet. If you are not willing to do this, then except where you are and mither over other things.

Some streamers, Wiim and Node spring to mind offer Desktop Apps so you can control your streamer from your laptop or desktop. Manually hooking your laptop up to an amp is fine in the context of a desk setup, and silly in terms of your main hifi with all of the great options our there from 100 quid or many 00s after that, if thats your thing.

Personally I use roon, it offers what I need for a myriad of streamers around the house, wiim, Pi's, Apple TVs, PCs etc as it provides a cohesive interface for all that anyone in the family knows how to use. Other streaming options are available. They all broadly sound the same, if you want to get into it, then the DAC is where the money should go.

Yes, "streamers" are usually controlled by phone or tablet via the manufacturer's app. Stick with the Mac if you like the usability. You'd struggle to play YouTube directly on a streamer.
Not if the streamer supports Airplay 2.

One advantage of using a streamer (or indeed any other player) over a Mac running iTunes is that you have an interface that you might prefer to iTunes, and better control over the audio stream. If you like a Mac because you can use YouTube and video from it you could retain that advantage and still get away from iTunes by using other media players like Roon, JRiver, Audivana, LMS, Qobuz, Tidal, Idagio et al. These all have free trials and don‘t necessitate buying any hardware. If you find software you prefer you then may have the option of using a streamer if convenient, but there is no absolute need to.

In terms of useability.....
1. A desktop with mouse is 100% easier for me than a mobile. I hate mobiles - clunky to use, small screens and I only type at a snail's pace, plus no mouse. Me on a mobile is like playing the piano with mittens on. Never used a tablet
2. I have a large quantity of playlists in iTunes and they are easy to reconfigure and move around with a keyboard and mouse. Plus my Mac Pro has a DVD player for quickly archiving CDs, which are all in lossless AIFF.
3. Internet (Youtube, Spotify etc) and TV over the Internet is just a different click on my desktop screen. TV sounds wonderful through my system.

I spend most of my time listening to music in the background when I'm either at my desktop or working around the house, when I use YouTube or iTunes playlists. I'm sure this is very atypical here - I rarely sit between the speakers and just listen to music, though it's nice when I do.

Given all of the above I can't see what a streamer would give me that would be more convenient to use then what I already have, and have for free.

1. A desktop with mouse is 100% easier for me than a mobile. I hate mobiles - clunky to use, small screens and I only type at a snail's pace, plus no mouse. Me on a mobile is like playing the piano with mittens on. Never used a tablet
2. I have a large quantity of playlists in iTunes and they are easy to reconfigure and move around with a keyboard and mouse. Plus my Mac Pro has a DVD player for quickly archiving CDs, which are all in lossless AIFF.
3. Internet (Youtube, Spotify etc) and TV over the Internet is just a different click on my desktop screen. TV sounds wonderful through my system.

I spend most of my time listening to music in the background when I'm either at my desktop or working around the house, when I use YouTube or iTunes playlists. I'm sure this is very atypical here - I rarely sit between the speakers and just listen to music, though it's nice when I do.

Given all of the above I can't see what a streamer would give me that would be more convenient to use then what I already have, and have for free.
You sould definitely try Bit Perfect. You can buy and download from the Apple Store.

Frankly if you like the interface and functionality (as it seems you do) the only reason to change would be sound quality. But no one knows how your Mac Pro sounds compared to streamer X. The Mac might be better, worse or the same.

Frankly if you like the interface the main reason to change would be sound quality. But no one knows how your Mac Pro sounds compared to streamer X. The Mac might be better, worse or the same.

All true. I'm happy enough with the sound quality as it is - even YouTube sounds surprisingly good. I don't think I'd give up convenience for a mite more sound quality, though no doubt others would. Operating everything off a mobile phone would be a nightmare for me - I've never got used to the things. On buses when I'm in the middle of a jungle of mobiles and headphones I just enjoy looking out of the windows..... very retro.....

I stream from my laptop, as almost everyone I know does. Others use their phone: I can too where there's a BT receiver but it doesn't sound quite as good. Some will scoff at my running a cable from the audio out into the amplifier but it's simple & works & I think the sound is fantastic. With flac files I prefer it to my CD player. I'm lucky my laptop - long may it live - has a very good soundcard. My OS is Linux Mint with Pulseaudio; my music app is Quod Libet. I once tried straight ALSA, which has been said to be superior, & found it too "edgy" to enjoy.

I've never seen a streamer in use. I confess that I've never been able understand their concept, either 🫢

Frankly if you like the interface and functionality (as it seems you do) the only reason to change would be sound quality. But no one knows how your Mac Pro sounds compared to streamer X. The Mac might be better, worse or the same.
My experience tells me streamer X is going to cost you. My MacBook Pro is better (not by much) than a Node and about the same as an Eversolo. I'd presume around 10 yrs use from my MacBook, less confident with any streamer.

Not if the streamer supports Airplay 2.
I think this means the controlling device (phone or laptop) is in the playback chain rather than just acting as a remote control. I've always avoided this as I'd rather have my music going router-to-streamer than tablet-to-router-to-streamer. I've used something like a Bluesound Node 2i with BluOS app or now Innuos Zen with Sense app; both are excellent control apps. My iPad (other tablets are available!) acts only as a remote control.

Not sure if the venerable @karlsushi replied up-thread but he has direct experience of the difference to sound quality a dedicated streamer makes.

Update: just seen the post by @Alex S: Karl's baselione was a Windows laptop I think. Not sure if Macbooks are known to be lower noise than some brands of Windows laptops but it would appear this might be the case.

The main advantage with the Node for me was the small size, quick start up, low power draw and certainly much easier to operate, at least with BluOS. However, do whatever works for you, there is no right or wrong. There are some YouTube videos where a guy directly compares the sound of various streamers and PC head-to-head, and to my surprise, purely as digital source into an external dac, you can clearly hear differences. Whether you want to pay the fairly major bucks involved is another matter, and how that translates in-room requires proper home audition.

1. I use an iPad Pro. Massive screen compared with a phone so addressing concern 1 head on. I like being able to control the music from my listening chair.
2. I have the same. I use my desktop to rip and organise (I'm anal about getting the right cover art not just asking iTunes (now Music) to pick whatever someone else chose. I don't use iTunes/Music for playback, obviously, but for organising stuff it's great. All my ripped music is stored as ALAC with the odd FLAC in the mix which iTunes ignores but my streamer app picks up fine. The separation of duties - storing/organising vs exploring/playback works well for me. I can use Qobuz on the desktop, sure, but far easier to explore from my listening seat.
3. I do this sort of stuff directly on my TV which is hooked up separately to the hifi system. A tiny and incredibly easy to use Apple TV gives access to Youtube etc.
4. I tend to move around the house more of the time than a genuine audiophile is supposed to... and use Radio Paradise or playlists quite a chunk of the time.

Hope this helps. I'd be delighted to entertain you for coffee etc in the E Mids if you can be arsed to pop in. I think you'd like the sound my system makes but you could also see how I organise and play back and take control of my iPad... PM me if interested.

My experience is of using a MacMini as a dedicated “streamer” purely for music purposes. It isn’t used for any other reason. I use Roon & Qobuz & I have a ripped cd collection on an external HD.
I use an iPad as the interface/glorified remote control.
To my mind, a “hifi streamer” IS a computer. It’s just one with a sole purpose & doesn’t have graphics cards, lots of other programs & functions & other stuff in it that a regular computer has.
So the question is that by stripping out all that stuff, how much better does it sound? Less electrical noise, less fan noise maybe. But it’s one demo I’d like to do one day.
eg a MacMini vs a melco, or Aurelic or even a basic Bluesound node for example.
Has anyone done a similar demo & care to report the findings?

Yes and no. I have extensively compared my MacBook Pro (M1 Pro), either using Audirvana or Qobuz app, with a Stack Link 2 (not much, the UI is terrible), the Node 2i and the Eversolo A6 ME. All these into any of 3 dacs. I conclude that there's so little in it that it's not worth worrying about and money is better spent elsewhere.

advertisement

Back