advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update. Just completed 3rd run. 1km, slow. Still feeling good guys.
You all seem on good form...keep clocking up the miles guys....

Well done, keep going, regular low stress activities and your muscles and tendons will be getting stronger. Don't forget to recover properly between sessions and you will get stronger and gain more confidence in your knee.

I can't remember which post made me think of posting this but it had something to do with using a smart sports watch to track one's heart rate during a run. I also can't remember the point of what follows; all I know is is I thought I should posti it but for whose benefit, if anyone's, and why, I've no idea. Right, I hope that's all unclear!

What I've been doing to gauge effort and, by approximate extension, observe/regulate my heart rate, is control and coordinate my breathing with my steps so that the number of breaths I take corresponds to effort but in conjunction with my strides. I do this with three specific breathing patterns (fwiw, each in and out breath takes place in harmony with my left foot striding on the ground):

easy - steady effort: In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R
steady - almost lactate effort: In R L R, Out R L R, In R Out R, In R Out R / In R L R, Out R L R, In R Out R, In R Out R
almost lactate - fast effort: In R Out R / In R Out R / In R Out R / In R Out R

The first breathing pattern tends to be used when I'm just easing myself into a run or when I'm just simply cruising along; the second comes into play when I pick up the pace till I'm almost at lactate threshold or when I'm running up a hill on an otherwise easy run; the third is employed when I'm hitting lactate threshold or faster. Obviously, the other variable not mentioned here is the depth of breath I take, but I'm sure you can imagine that that varies according to the given oxygen demands of my body at any given time during a run.

Like I say, I've no idea why I posted this, but there you go. That's how I breathe and observe/regulate my heart rate when I'm running.

I can't remember which post made me think of posting this but it had something to do with using a smart sports watch to track one's heart rate during a run. I also can't remember the point of what follows; all I know is is I thought I should posti it but for whose benefit, if anyone's, and why, I've no idea. Right, I hope that's all unclear!

What I've been doing to gauge effort and, by approximate extension, observe/regulate my heart rate, is control and coordinate my breathing with my steps so that the number of breaths I take corresponds to effort but in conjunction with my strides. I do this with three specific breathing patterns (fwiw, each in and out breath takes place in harmony with my left foot striding on the ground):

easy - steady effort: In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R / In R L R, Out R L R
steady - almost lactate effort: In R L R, Out R L R, In R Out R, In R Out R / In R L R, Out R L R, In R Out R, In R Out R

The first breathing pattern tends to be used when I'm just easing myself into a run or when I'm just simply cruising along; the second comes into play when I pick up the pace till I'm almost at lactate threshold or when I'm running up a hill on an otherwise easy run; the third is employed when I'm hitting lactate threshold or faster. Obviously, the other variable not mentioned here is the depth of breath I take, but I'm sure you can imagine that that varies according to the given oxygen demands of my body at any given time during a run.

Like I say, I've no idea why I posted this, but there you go. That's how I breathe and observe/regulate my heart rate when I'm running.

As my then wife said to me the morning of the last time I ran the VLM ‘ surely it’s just a question of putting one foot in front of the other’

I use similar. Start around 3 paces per in and then 3 paces for out then move to 3 steps in and 2 steps out, then 2 and 2 moving to 2 in 1 out at sprint finish level.

I should have said that although it looks like I've put a lot of thought into my breathing, it all happens quite naturally and with no real effort. In fact, typing it up was harder than doing it lol

After a dismal week of dismal running that saw me run just nine miles last week, I've managed to top just over 31 miles this week thanks to an easy 12-mile long run this morning. My feet still ache terribly from those bloody Nike trainers, but today's run was the first since I went gung-ho during an interval session whereby I wasn't running with a bit of a hobble, well, not after the first couple of miles I wasn't. I still can't hit any real speed as the pain just becomes too much to bear whenever I try to pick up the pace, but I can cope with slow and steady: to wit, my 12-mile run took me 1:49:30. I know that skipping speed work compromises my preparation for the marathon, but I think I might just have to clock up another week of easy running and see how my feet feel for the following week because the one thing I know I can't afford to do is have unscheduled downtime, something that's bound to happen if I try to run before I can jog.

Slow and steady Windhoek! If it's hurting too much then your body is telling you not to do it. Listen! 31 miles in the week is great. I wish I could have done that this week....away with work but got into a gym a couple of times which was better than nothing. Ate and drank too much...
Just got back from my second Parkrun. The Garmin says 22:01, which I am very pleased with...but leaves me with that "did I break 22 minutes or not" question for the next hour or two until the proper results are posted. With a bit of a hangover too (think I need to join Mull's thread...!)
Am now going out for a distance run - it's a lovely day down here.

It's that old chestnut of knowing when it's okay to keep going and trust that things sort themselves out soon enough or when it's time to stop and take a break to give my body a chance to recover. I don't have time for a break, not even a Kit Kat, so I'm hoping that I can slowly and gently keep on going and that things will sort themselves out on the road. I hope!

Well done on your 22-minute park run! I think there was a chance I could have got close to a 22-minute 5K last year but I've absolutely no chance now. And then going back out for a long run? You're doing great Rob, may things keep on getting better and better :)

I am with Robs windhoek, easy does it. Listen to your body.....you will be fine on Marathon day, you will be gutted if you get an injury and all the hard work you have put in will mean nothing.
Just completed run number 4, 3 miles, 11 minute miles....I am sure a snail past me!

Don't forget the double dose of adrenaline on the day windhoek. This will help you find that extra stride....I think your nearly there, take care of yourself.

It's that old chestnut of knowing when it's okay to keep going and trust that things sort themselves out soon enough or when it's time to stop and take a break to give my body a chance to recover. I don't have time for a break, not even a Kit Kat, so I'm hoping that I can slowly and gently keep on going and that things will sort themselves out on the road. I hope!

Well done on your 22-minute park run! I think there was a chance I could have got close to a 22-minute 5K last year but I've absolutely no chance now. And then going back out for a long run? You're doing great Rob, may things keep on getting better and better :)

The long slow runs are the most important things you are doing . It’s likely Intervals at this stage of then game will have negligible impact on performance so if they carry injury risk don’t do them.

What a difference a couple of seconds makes! 'Official' result 21:59 - Yay! Put everything into it from the start so not sure I'll be beating that in the near future.

On a longer relaxed run I typically breath in 4 paces, then out 4. If I'm pushing a little (e.g. half marathon race) I'll usually settle into 3 in 3 out, or 3 in 2 out on hills. Rare it is that I am huffing and puffing at 2 in 2 out, but I was for most of this 5km!
Breathing is definitely an important part of my running, and am usually quite conscious of it as a measure of pace/work.

I need to focus on the marathon though...just did a shade under 8 miles after the Parkrun, and christened the new Kayanos. So 11 miles all in this morning. Felt OK though a little tight in the calfs when started the longer stroll..that eased off a couple of miles in. And it felt like I was running uphill all the way.. :-( I hope that is not a result of the new boots...

I usually listen to music when running - I stole my eldests' ipod nano a while back (replaced with a phone and spotify I hasten to add) and loaded it up with a half marathon playlist. This hasn't changed much for several years. A bit of pumping stuff at the start, then settle into some rhythmic stuff, an upbeat section towards the end. I find it helps. Maybe I need to change the tunes but never get around to it:

1. Blur - Song 2 (02:01) (A great start track for a race - Woohoo!!
  2. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (05:01)
  3. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Which Way to Go (03:16)
  4. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) (07:17)
  5. Neu! - Hallogallo (10:07)
  6. Hawkwind - Brainstorm (11:33)
  7. Hawkwind - Master Of The Universe (06:16)
  8. Massive Attack - Risingson (04:58)
  9. Groove Armada - Suntoucher (06:31)
  10. Faithless - God Is A DJ (08:01)
  11. MOTORHEAD - No Class (02:51)
  12. Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right (03:27)
  13. Oasis - Supersonic (04:43)
  14. Oasis - Live Forever (04:36)
  15. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (07:29)
  16. John Butler Trio - Ocean (12:08)
  17. Kosmischer Läufer - Die lange Gerade (13:07)
I hope to be at the finishing line somewhere in John Butler's Ocean if I'm lucky...

Sometime soon I might need to start adding some tracks in the middle somewhere.... if I want to keep that hope alive ;-)

Do you listen? Any favourites out there?

5k 19:24 - exactly the same time as last week on the same course even though I’m a week older ha ha. A bit warmer but less windy. Some toddlers with scooters got in the way so I lost a precious few seconds but rather that than have an accident with a couple of 3 year olds.

Nice one Robs sounds like you’re going well. I have never run with music though when I was on the treadmill a few weeks ago it would have helped.

After a dismal week of dismal running that saw me run just nine miles last week, I've managed to top just over 31 miles this week thanks to an easy 12-mile long run this morning. My feet still ache terribly from those bloody Nike trainers, but today's run was the first since I went gung-ho during an interval session whereby I wasn't running with a bit of a hobble, well, not after the first couple of miles I wasn't. I still can't hit any real speed as the pain just becomes too much to bear whenever I try to pick up the pace, but I can cope with slow and steady: to wit, my 12-mile run took me 1:49:30. I know that skipping speed work compromises my preparation for the marathon, but I think I might just have to clock up another week of easy running and see how my feet feel for the following week because the one thing I know I can't afford to do is have unscheduled downtime, something that's bound to happen if I try to run before I can jog.
Did you get to a running store to try different shoes (with advice and a simple treadmill gait analysis that many of them do)? It sounds like the Nikes are not for you and holding you back- or you have a foot promblem?

Assuming you're not injured - speed work should not be blowing you off course - sounds like you’re getting in decent shape to run 12 miles and that's a decent time too! A speed session done right should be less stressful than that. We're not talking about sprinting, more about a bit of added pace, to become a more efficient at your marathon pace. Think 10k pace - no quicker - 4 or 5 minutes efforts with plenty of recovery. Should be fun, cruising with a bit of effort. That and your long run with plenty of rest in between is what I’d try in your place- but we’re all different!

I did go to a store for gait analysis, Ian, although that ended up being just an 'eyeball' analysis: no treadmill required - or at least, it wasn't offered! I didn't try on any shoes as the ones I was keen on weren't in stock in my size; Amazon to the rescue. I've long since abandoned those Nike trainers but I still have some troubles in the balls of my feet area. For example, I can't stand on one leg and then raise the back of my foot off the ground as it's too painful. It's feeling better now than it did a couple of weeks ago so hopefully, it's sorting itself out. That's great to know that speed work means pretty much 10K speed - I thought it meant getting up to 800m speed or something like that - no wonder my feet got injured (also because of those Nike trainers that were too small and seriously lacking on the cushioning front). It just so happens there's no speed work scheduled for the coming week but if there is for the following week, I'll see if I can tentatively ease into it. Day off today and maybe a day off tomorrow as well. p.s. well done on another sub-20 minute 5K!

I usually listen to music when running -
Do you listen? Any favourites out there?

I don't listen to music Robs, I tried once but found it difficult because I was always trying to alter my stride pattern to match with the beat of the music. I also discovered i couldn't concentrate on the music whilst running.
Whilst thinking about it I don't even think...when I try and remember a run I can't remember hardly anything....
Is there a way of matching strides to BPM I wonder.....
Nice list btw, not my thing being a metal head, but please don't hold that against me!
How about "Gone with the Wind" by Ella Fitzgerald"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back