advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see everyone hitting the road :)

I was really beginning to think that my hope of running a marathon at the end of April was over as the pain and discomfort in my feet meant that I was walking like Verbal Kint all day yesterday and was running like him on Monday too when I ran a slow 58-minute 6 miles - a run that was almost certainly the poorest in terms of running form since I started running again. I took some painkillers this morning (2 x ibuprofen and 2 x paracetamol) as a last-ditch measure to see if I could run at all and I'm pleased to say I ran the same 6 miles in 50.55; sure, I wasn't running like Keyser Söze, but at least it wasn't like Verbal Kint either. Taking painkillers everytime I run is unquestionably a bad idea but if I'm to make it for the marathon I might just have to take painkillers on long runs and accept that my shorter runs will be slow, painful and formless. The good thing about taking painkillers is that I could run with a decent form which means I'm less likely to aggravate the tight left groin that's emerged of late as I don't have to run with an adjusted gait to minimise the pain. It might well be I won't make the marathon at all and I just don't know it yet, but having discovered the power of painkillers, I might just make it - it might be the only way I'll make it seeing as I don't have time to rest and recover before the marathon.

In other news, I nearly tracked this morning's run on strava as I bought one of these neoprene waist belts but damn, my phone couldn't pick up a GPS signal, so I ran back, dumped the belt and just ran without it. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it work next time as I'm still waiting for a deal before pulling the trigger on a Garmin 235.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A couple of nice runs here lately. I'm away and don't know my way around where I'm staying and beyond the housing estate it's basically built for cars - but there's a very smooth flat rectangular path, 1.4km long. So run for around 1 hour including plenty of time at 'aerobic' pace where I try to keep HR at around 75% of my heart rate range. Then really go for it for a lap, doing maybe 5:50min/mile (3:40 per km)for about 5 minutes. Recover more or less completely then another fast lap.. etc. This is nice as I get some endurance /aerobic and also some good speed work - getting to about 95% heart rate range. Suits my still very vague goal of just getting and staying fit, getting quicker so I can hope to sustain 6min/mile in a race, and doing 5k races and maybe one day the odd 10k.

The 1.4km path is also a Strava segment so there is the novelty (for me) of running against a random group of strangers who've done it over the last few years.

I decided to add 10 miles a week running to my 100 miles weekly bike riding target. It's hard to find the time but you have to take your opportunities! Running legs feel that they are getting stronger and I'm going to try and do some speed work. It's been a good start to the year, cycling mileage is also up to about 140 miles a week. I think it's just me and Steve G who are members of both the PFM running and cycling group.

Andrew 140 miles a week is pretty cool. Love cycling too and it's something my wife enjoys. She doesn't run. This week we've been on these amazing cycle paths in the desert in Dubai - totally smooth wide dedicated tarmac that goes on forever - there's probably over 100 miles of path to the same standard, in various loops. We've done about 120miles this week, mostly fairly flat. Can't do more than about 30 miles a day as we have other responsibilities here but it's been fantastic. This morning we saw maybe a dozen other bikes in 2 hours. We get up and out early while it's still cool. Makes a nice recovery and change from running too.

The 1.4km path is also a Strava segment so there is the novelty (for me) of running against a random group of strangers who've done it over the last few years.

I've got a similar path near me that I use quite often - it's round one of the local lakes and it almost exactly 1 mile. It's also a Strava segment if done in the right direction although I'm only 55 of the 163 runners that have recorded times on it (the fastest time is 3 minutes quicker than my best attempt!). My wife likes running there as it's flat (she hates hills!) and it's also good for PB attempts. On segments like that I have a look at where the other runners that have also set a time on it run, which has been good for adding new routes.

It's been a good start to the year, cycling mileage is also up to about 140 miles a week. I think it's just me and Steve G who are members of both the PFM running and cycling group.

So far this year I've barely touched a bike and even then it's only been on Zwift. I might see if I can remedy that tonight and get a few laps of the Redbridge circuit in.

I find combining running with cycling works really well. I don't like to run more than 3 days a week so doing cycling in the off days I find a good option and if anything seems to help considerably with recovery from running.

Did 7 miles in the specified 1hr window last night, but set off a touch too slowly so had to work it on the return leg. Kinda fun, and although I am down on pace* it felt good and I felt pretty strong throughout. 5Km today - the plan calls for 5m - 1m jog + 3 miles fastish (25m) + 1m jog - but I'm going to cut that short for the sake of my toes, which are complaining about my return to running. Rest day tomorrow and hopefully 14 miles slow on Saturday, followed by a leisure run my wife has organised on Sunday (only 4 miles or so). That'll bring the week up to 33 miles, which is lower than what it should be but only because I'm tapering back up, distance-wise, following my break. The main thing is that I'm back out there, putting the miles on the feet :D

* I reckon I'm still ~20-40s/Km (or 35-1:15/mile) slower than I was at my peak training, last summer. This will improve so long as I keep at it and stay injury free. My goal is to be able to run a flat marathon at 5:30/Km pace or better. 4hrs is 5:41/Km pace, so this would be around 3h50, which would be good.

JTC is back, no doubt about it... and it just so happens I'm supposed to do a 14-mile long run this Saturday as well, so let's see who can go the slowest! I'll be more than happy with two hours 15 minutes, but, depending on how my feet are doing, it could take a lot longer than that or even end up as a DNF, or worse, a DNS (did not start)!

Enjoy the Hoggenberg!

I mostly just did laps of the bottom circuit - once up the Hoggenburg on the way back to the car was more than enough tonight! I'm so rusty I had to stop after my first lap to remind myself how to change gear! I was on the only one of my bikes with Di2 and because I had thick gloves on and hadn't ridden that bike for a while I couldn't work out how to shift back down the gears. Muppet.

Hmmm, tax ... .... one of the few areas where you have to prove your innocence rather than the prosecution prove guilt.

DMP

Decided to take my golden doodle pup out with me on last night’s 5K. That was scary! What should have been a fast 5K (according to the plan) ended up being a mad dash with countless near accidents, ‘emergency stops’ and so on. Might have my work cut out to get her to be a running buddy! Rest day today and hopefully 14 miles tomorrow... anyone running anywhere interesting over the weekend?

Decided to take my golden doodle pup out with me on last night’s 5K. That was scary! What should have been a fast 5K (according to the plan) ended up being a mad dash with countless near accidents, ‘emergency stops’ and so on. Might have my work cut out to get her to be a running buddy! Rest day today and hopefully 14 miles tomorrow... anyone running anywhere interesting over the weekend?

There are often random dog runners at park run but most are well behaved.

Nothing special planned but Watford Parkrun is celebrating its 3rd anniversary with a pacer day tomorrow so hoping for a decent run but I have had a poor second half of the week flying and eating with not enough exercise. Could be sluggish tomorrow.

Away with work again for part of this week = zero miles :-(

Let's call it a recovery and fueling period :)

A lovely 6 miles this morning in the sunshine though.

Parkrun tomorrow, looking like it's going to be sunny but very cold, maybe need some spikes for the ice...

Followed by another recovery and fueling session watching the rugby in the pub :)))))

5k ..quite quick for me . Core compainimg from Kettlebell . New car arrived this morn)g but shit day at work ....mixed

Kb is intense stuff. Does amazing things to your middle , and I overdo it sometimes. Car made a big impression on my
Oldest daughter who described it as beautiful, delicious and also the ultimate teenage complement ..peng. It’s a Beamer plug in hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back