advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about listening to music on the run as well but my memories of having tried it about ten years ago when I took up running for about a month during summer tells me that it can be great, but when the music slowed down it slowed me down as well. Apparently, there are audio apps that can alter the speed of music without altering the pitch so that you could have a whole playlist that plays at 180bpm, for example. I can't remember the names of the apps, but I know they exist. Whether they're any good is another matter altogether. As it is, I'm quite happy running to the soundtrack of everyday life.

I mostly listen to R6. But sometimes I do it in silence and listen to the city. It depends on what I’m wearing and whether there’s a pocket for a phone . Have a meeting in Zug next week . Going to try and get a run around the lake

Yesterday and today ..rowing , plank and Kettlebell. Will try and get out for a run tommorow

I would think that would be quite amusing windhoek, listening to a funeral-doom cd at 180bpm, it would put a whole new perspective on the genre :confused::D
It would be good if it would suit the bpm to terrain, such as going uphill then downhill.

yeah changing speeds could be fun for some genres! I think these sort of apps would work best with dance music, or at least, music that doesn't change much in tempo throughout the song.

I'm back! Managed - by coincidence - exactly one marathon's distance over three runs since Thursday. Can't say it was fast, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but at least I am able to get out there again. I decided to jump back in at the appropriate point in my RW 3:45 plan, i.e. week 7, rather than starting some other shorter plan. It does mean that I had to reduce the long run today (for various reasons, one is so as not to over-do it so soon, and the other being that I just didn't have time, as I had to drive up from the west lake district this morning), but at least I managed 11 and a bit miles at a not-terribly-slow pace today. Not fast, but just a tad over 4:00 pace. If I'm honest, I should slow that run down a bit, concentrate on aerobic improvements for a few weeks.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Just good to be back in the game :D

Good to see the injured back in action ;-)

I did a tourism Parkrun on Saturday and it was quite hilly so I was slower than normal despite feeling good. I probably need to put a few more hills into my routine as I am sure it is good training. Got a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline 18 to replace the 16 version I have been using. Realised how trashed the support and cushioning was in them so probably should have replaced some months ago. Travelling a bit next week so not sure what running will be possible but am hopeful.

I'm back! Managed - by coincidence - exactly one marathon's distance over three runs since Thursday. Can't say it was fast, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but at least I am able to get out there again. I decided to jump back in at the appropriate point in my RW 3:45 plan, i.e. week 7, rather than starting some other shorter plan. It does mean that I had to reduce the long run today (for various reasons, one is so as not to over-do it so soon, and the other being that I just didn't have time, as I had to drive up from the west lake district this morning), but at least I managed 11 and a bit miles at a not-terribly-slow pace today. Not fast, but just a tad over 4:00 pace. If I'm honest, I should slow that run down a bit, concentrate on aerobic improvements for a few weeks.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Just good to be back in the game :D

Great news J, and I know what you mean about it not being pretty as the running form of some of my runs of late has been clunky as hell, kinda like an old spluttering, inefficient engine lurching wildly from one foot to the next. As you say, it ain't pretty! Still, at least it's running and I'm glad to hear that's you back on the road :)

Thanks. The only downside from jumping back in with my running these past few days is that I now have a badly bruised little toe. Not sure why, given that of all my toes, the little toes have thus far escaped totally bruise/blister free. Maybe because I did my runs in my trail shoes, and haven’t been running so much so the toes are ‘softer’?

Anyway, today is a genuine rest day (yay!) but tomorrow calls for 5 miles as follows:
1 mile jog warm-up + (12 x 200m sprints with 200m recoveries) + 1 mile jog cool-down.

I may hold back on the sprints a tad given that I’m probably nowhere near back to proper running fitness, we’ll see.

12 * 200m sprints seems a bit OTT.
It’s what’s on my training plan. Granted, I’ve skipped several weeks through injury and illness, so coming back to it at what is the start of week 8 will be a bit of a shock to the system. 12x200m will be interesting, no doubt. I need to verify what the actual goal pace is - I’m assuming sprints, but it could be threshold or lower. It’ll be fairly brutal whatever...

I figure my best chance of salvaging something from London is to follow the remainder of the plan as closely as I can, making a small allowance for slightly lower long runs this week and next whilst I build up again. I was meant to run my trail marathon this coming Saturday, but will settle for a 14-miler at an easy pace and preferably with company.

200’s are fun - I often finish off a track session with two or three. Always feels a completely different dynamic even compared with 400’s - feels really good for calves and elasticity - and different is good. I’ve never done 12 - must try that some time.

12 x 200m sprints :eek:! Jeez guys, thats like really scary!
2k but a little quicker today, probably 10mmiles....steady does it.
I am getting worried I am not going to be ready to run the Market Drayton 10k on the 13th of May, the doctor says no....:(
might have to consider giving my place away.

Did a couple of evening runs around the Versailles region Mon and Tue this week, nice to run in new places. Just steady 5k's looking at the scenery.

I try to fit in a run anytime I'm somewhere new - and ideally also get a GPS trace of it for Strava.

Strava can be pretty useful for figuring out where to run when you're somewhere new as you can get a good idea from where the locals run and where the segments are.

I try to fit in a run anytime I'm somewhere new - and ideally also get a GPS trace of it for Strava.

Strava can be pretty useful for figuring out where to run when you're somewhere new as you can get a good idea from where the locals run and where the segments are.

Never thought of that. In Frankfurt Thursday so will try there

12 x 200m sprints :eek:! Jeez guys, thats like really scary!
It was pretty tough but I survived. Probably didn't run the sprint parts hard enough (I reckon they were at ~3m/Km pace) but still felt a bit nauseous mid-way. Glad I did it, but woke up today with another (minor?) trapped nerve incident in my back, so I'm hot water bottling and on the painkillers to see if I can bring it down enough to manage an easy 7 miler tonight....

For various reasons (partly motivational!) I haven't run for a couple of weeks but did get myself out for a 5K. Not fast and my HR was quite a bit higher than I'd expect given the pace - but at least I got out!

12 x 200, if done with effort on a middle age body sounds like a recipe for injury. Like doing dips on parallel bars is a recipe for shoulder injury and best left to those under 40. I'll stick with 800m intervals at sub 6 minute mile pace, and maybe the occasional 400m (I always feel like puking at the end of a 400m).

Yeeha! 4 weeks total rest, then a bit of time on the cross-trainer, sensible eating and weight loss, and my ankle (dodgy perineal tendons to be precise) seems to be holding up to a gentle reintroduction to running. 3 successive short stints on the treadmill in the past 5 days ( the last being 6x2mins with 1 minute intervals) with no discomfort.

I will aim to up the running over the next couple of weeks to a continuous steady 5k, and will hopfully soon be back in training for another half marathon. (Please let it be so, I despise the gym!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back