advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean, you are clearly a quick runner

Mine was a cold, fast ( for me ) 5k earlier. It’s a blast to clear the head after work .

A sub-20 5K for me is probably never gonna happen; sub 25 is achievable, I think/hope, but scraping seconds off at that end of the distance scale is no doubt a tough affair. Yeah, you guys are quick alright!

I’d love to go quicker , but so love it regardless , My problem is about running mechanics, or a crap gait. Long story . I had a good day at work today. Followed by sharp intake of exercise. Perfect.

I’m getting on for 200pounds so not really built for it , but mostly muscle .

I'm 140lbs, and 5'7", so there's not too many sports I could possibly be any good at. Plus my quick running helps to make up for my woeful bike splits in the triathlon.

I’d love to go quicker , but so love it regardless , My problem is about running mechanics, or a crap gait. Long story . I had a good day at work today. Followed by sharp intake of exercise. Perfect.

I’m getting on for 200pounds so not really built for it , but mostly muscle .

Yup me too. 195 ish, 5'10" and short legs do not a rapid runner make.

I put on 3 pounds during my easy week there to nudge me back up to 151lbs as I carried on eating at my normal level but did practically nothing in terms of exercise; it's frightening how quick the pounds can pile on! I reckon 147-150lbs will be the new normal for me if I don't tweak my diet (for context, I weighed 172ibs when I took up running last year) as I've now got muscles in places where there used to be fat as well as muscles in places where I've never had muscles before, like my core. In fact, I've never even had a core before come to think of it.

That's a great time - mud will easily add 90-120 seconds to a 5k time, as will extreme cold (-10c and below). I just signed up for a chip timed 5k in March (no parkrun here in the US :(). Hoping to go sub 19, but it will be weather / course dependent (and of course legs). I'm getting soft: I've only run on treadmills for the past 6 weeks - mostly mile intervals at 5:52 or 6:00. The cold doesn't bother me too much, but we've had a lot of ice, and I hate cleaning muddy shoes (or muddy bikes).

So is your next target 19:00 ? Only 24 (painful) seconds quicker

Thanks Sean. 19:00? Not at the moment but you never know. Our club has a 5k time trial towards the end of March so I'll go for a time there but running will be a bit interrupted between now and then. At the moment just loving the feeling of getting back into it. 8 or 9 years ago I was under 17:30. Age Grading is my friend now.

As we're into personal stats.... I'm about 137lbs / 63kg, 5ft 7, 171cm, age 54. Weight has never been a problem - I just don't put it on even the not exercising. Drives my wife nuts. I sometimes touch 140lbs, and in my best marathon form was down to 134lbs wth that hollowed out cheek look.

Nice run last night - 4 * 5 mins with 5 minutes jog recovery with the local Tri club. Pace about 6min/ mile and felt great. Generally doing fewer miles now than last month.

A sub-20 5K for me is probably never gonna happen; sub 25 is achievable, I think/hope

Same here. I did a 25:45 about 18 months back so would like to get back close to that sometime this year. At the moment I'd struggle to break 30 minutes!

The Runtastic Heart Rate Pro app is currently free here at Google Play. I just downloaded it and discovered that my resting heart rate is 50bpm. I was a bit worried when I then read that the average adult resting heart rate typically falls between 60-100bpm, but thankfully it's quite common for people who exercise to have a lower resting heart rate thanks to having developed efficient heart muscles - phew! :)

The Runtastic Heart Rate Pro app is currently free here at Google Play. I just downloaded it and discovered that my resting heart rate is 50bpm. I was a bit worried when I then read that the average adult resting heart rate typically falls between 60-100bpm, but thankfully it's quite common for people who exercise to have a lower resting heart rate thanks to having developed efficient heart muscles - phew! :)

My average resting heart rate for the last seven days is 41bpm, over the past 6 months it has dropped from an average of 47bpm in August. Not quite sure what that means, it does seem low and I have had a couple of checkups at the doc's and nothing came up.

And yet there are guys at every race I go to in their 50s running sub 18 ! (and youngsters running sub 16). Take a look at some of these times from a 5k I ran in November .
Some of the Vets run amazing times. Unfortunately the old saying "there's no substitute for talent" applies. Hard work can take you a fair way though.
Youngest did a XC at Wythenshawe Park on Sat. He came last. He's a 400m runner though with a compleyely different build to the rest of the field...and he has had a cold...and it was a v. small field in the U17 race...and his shoes were hurting his feet. Get your excuses in early!

My average resting heart rate for the last seven days is 41bpm, over the past 6 months it has dropped from an average of 47bpm in August. Not quite sure what that means, it does seem low and I have had a couple of checkups at the doc's and nothing came up.

I can only imagine that your drop in resting heart rate has come about because you're a cool-as-fcuk bass player as well as a runner; it's those slick runs that do it ;)

I can only imagine that your drop in resting heart rate has come about because you're a cool-as-fcuk bass player as well as a runner; it's those slick runs that do it ;)

I don't normally go in for likes but for this post I make an exception:

23926501_10155728528733820_7465608125584734332_o.jpg

Resting heart rate around 60BPM - seems to be drifting down a few BPM since I got the Garmin but that may be more lifestyle-related than anything to do with exercise - varying coffee, booze consumption.

My max is about 200 so my range around 140. I set my Garmin to display %HRR then usually ignore it while I'm running, except if I'm trying to keep in the recovery / easy / aerobic zones which takes discipline.

I'm proud of my heart - I had successful open heart surgery as a kid (in the late '60s) and do occasionally think how lucky I am.

Some news on the running front , I think my trusty mizuno are due for a change, definitely feel like thick plimsolls. I should have chuckev them when the toe nail broke through and that was months ago . Now starts the web search to find the cheapest pair of size ten miz wave inspire # in the world.

Gym yesterday , rowing , Kettlebell , plank

Resting heart rate around 60BPM - seems to be drifting down a few BPM since I got the Garmin but that may be more lifestyle-related than anything to do with exercise - varying coffee, booze consumption.

My max is about 200 so my range around 140. I set my Garmin to display %HRR then usually ignore it while I'm running, except if I'm trying to keep in the recovery / easy / aerobic zones which takes discipline.

I'm proud of my heart - I had successful open heart surgery as a kid (in the late '60s) and do occasionally think how lucky I am.

My doctor fitted me with a 24hr ecg a couple of years ago and told me to go about my business . The last thing i did before I unpeeled was a 10k asap. All good according to hospital . Ian , judging by your running times they must have hotrodded yours...

Quick update. Just completed 3rd run. 1km, slow. Still feeling good guys.
You all seem on good form...keep clocking up the miles guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back