advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

I've had the K-1 for almost 8-years now, certainly don't feel the need to change, especially with the addition of the D-FA* 50mm f1.4 around 6-months ago. We had our first child and in the first week (while in the hospital) the FA43 broke, focus locked up and I'd been looking at the 50mm for a while, so went for it and got a nice used one from SRS.
It's been mainly used for baby photos since (can't share any here) but its an excellent bit of kit, fast and accurate AF, pin sharp even at f1.4.

Just realised I left the D-FA28-105 off this photo, as the kit lens.

20240202_091008 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Nice little collection there, Rob - and congratulations on the new family member (oh...and the FA* 50 too of course!)

Been tempted. by one of the DA/FA* lenses myself, in fact I missed out on a 50 which MPB had for sale recently. From what I'm reading, and comparing 'vs' reviews, it's even better than the Sigma 50 Art which is some achievement.

Picked up an FA 50 1.4 yesterday - I thought a fast 50 for around 100 quid has to be worth a punt. Focusing's a little wayward occasionally and it is - to be fair - a little 'dreamy' wide open, but beyond f2 it's really quite impressive. Favourite is still the 77 Limited though, it's just gorgeous. Ok it fringes in high contrast situations (then again so did my 6 bit Summicron 50, although not as badly) but its rendering is very special.

Enjoying the K-1 too, took a while to get accustomed to the 'Pentax way' but it all makes so much sense now. Its dynamic range is just crazy. It does need to go back for a bit of adjustment though as all the lenses need +8 or more fine adjustment. Under warranty though so no great drama.

K3 III Mono is nagging me though. :D

That's my worry, that the 16-80 is too much compromise over what I have (13/1.4 Viltrox, 16/1.4, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 and 100-400. Damn, I have too many lenses already!!!

Prime days or zoom days - a choice before you leave the house!

I went on real purge a coupel of years ago, really thought about the focal lengths that I like to shoot - haven't missed any of the gear that I've sold.

Nice little collection there, Rob - and congratulations on the new family member (oh...and the FA* 50 too of course!)

Been tempted. by one of the DA/FA* lenses myself, in fact I missed out on a 50 which MPB had for sale recently. From what I'm reading, and comparing 'vs' reviews, it's even better than the Sigma 50 Art which is some achievement.

Picked up an FA 50 1.4 yesterday - I thought a fast 50 for around 100 quid has to be worth a punt. Focusing's a little wayward occasionally and it is - to be fair - a little 'dreamy' wide open, but beyond f2 it's really quite impressive. Favourite is still the 77 Limited though, it's just gorgeous. Ok it fringes in high contrast situations (then again so did my 6 bit Summicron 50, although not as badly) but its rendering is very special.

Enjoying the K-1 too, took a while to get accustomed to the 'Pentax way' but it all makes so much sense now. Its dynamic range is just crazy. It does need to go back for a bit of adjustment though as all the lenses need +8 or more fine adjustment. Under warranty though so no great drama.

K3 III Mono is nagging me though. :D
Thanks Richard, the D-FA*50 is superb, its genuinely an amazing bit of kit, really overkill for taking baby and hifi photos but hey!
I love the FA43, like the FA50 its 'of its time' and the AF is snappy but certainly not fast.
The K-1 is a lump, but a solid lump, certainly with the smaller primes such as the FA43 and FA77 you have, it shrinks overall as all the weight is next to the hand rather than out front.

Prime days or zoom days - a choice before you leave the house!

I went on real purge a coupel of years ago, really thought about the focal lengths that I like to shoot - haven't missed any of the gear that I've sold.
I'm probably much the same. I love lighter lenses - which primes tend to be as compared to decent zooms - but that comes at the expense of having to carry several of the things if you want flexibility. Anyway, it's all theoretical for now since I'm away from home for a few days so the new camera is sitting in its box still. And the irony is that I could have made some great images on a walk around the locality yesterday had it been with me....

but that comes at the expense of having to carry several of the things if you want flexibility.
It has taken me years to come to the conclusion that this is a state of mind. I'm actually happiest going out with one body and one lens and enjoy the challenge of making it work. I often find I come back with better images and certainly ones that I wasn't expecting. To this effect I have deceased (rationalised) my lens count over the last few years, and may rationlise it further deonding how I get on with the Q3. For me less choice is good, for my mind and my shoulders!

I'm sure the Q3 will be like the Q2 in that you find yourself thinking way less about the camera than you do thinking about the image. That's the strength of such a camera. I don't find the 28mm lens limiting for the most part, although since I like to take a lot of urban architecture type shots when travelling, I do sometimes find I wish it were a touch wider, especially when I want to leave enough space to correct perspective later.

How are you finding your Q3? You really owe us a 'me and my Q3' post :p

How are you finding your Q3? You really owe us a 'me and my Q3' post :p

This will come when I've used it a bit more :D

Interesting fact - GFX in portrait format with GF45mm - field of view is 45.5deg (4:3 sensor) - Leica Q series in portrait format - field of view is 46deg (3:2 sensor) To get to 'my' preferred image ratio of 5:4 you obviously have to crop more from the Leica, but in the case of the Q3, the resultant image is 7920x6336 and the GFX50S image is 7740x6192 - so basically the same!!

The recent software updates to the Q3 have certainly speeded up some things - especially time from switch on to operational, and autofocus I have found.
I have also found that leaving the battery inserted for a week or so unused tends to really drain it.
Still finding my way round it all, but really enjoying what it does.
My first set of images (left everything in full auto and moved the lens between macro mode and standard) have been promising.
Re-learning Lightroom is not so bad - I figured to run with it rather than learn a whole new thing in 'Capture 1" plus I get use of photoshop with the subscription.

Last edited:
Have you got wi-fi permanently on?? Try taking it out of performance mode?
I don't think I have WiFi on - but I will check that thanks.
I usually take the battery out and put it in a case until needed now. Getting a spare soon - not the cheapest thing to get!
I also waited seemingly forever for the thumb rest (10 months?) so got one from Amazon that worked just fine, but less than 25% of the Leica version. 10 days later the official one arrive - as it obviously was going to!

I don't think I have WiFi on - but I will check that thanks.
I usually take the battery out and put it in a case until needed now. Getting a spare soon - not the cheapest thing to get!
I also waited seemingly forever for the thumb rest (10 months?) so got one from Amazon that worked just fine, but less than 25% of the Leica version. 10 days later the official one arrive - as it obviously was going to!
Batteries are not cheap - the Leica Tax

You should try buying one for a Nikon Z9 🤣🤣
£179.00
Yes but £61 for a soft shutter release, £200 for a thumb rest, etc, etc - you could easily add several hundred pounds in optional extras.

But I agree £179 for another battery is a bit steep!

Yes but £61 for a soft shutter release, £200 for a thumb rest, etc, etc - you could easily add several hundred pounds in optional extras.

But I agree £179 for another battery is a bit steep!
Agreed, they seem to have us by the short and curly ones. Perhaps we should run a thread for the most expensive trivial camera accessories that we own.😁

Agreed, they seem to have us by the short and curly ones. Perhaps we should run a thread for the most expensive trivial camera accessories that we own.😁

and I expect that lots of them fall into the 7 minute wonder category - ie Crystal Ball 🤣

@Sonority is your Q3 lens cap a very tight fit on the lens hood (or is it just my example!!) ??

and I expect that lots of them fall into the 7 minute wonder category - ie Crystal Ball 🤣

@Sonority is your Q3 lens cap a very tight fit on the lens hood (or is it just my example!!) ??
Yup, a very tight fit!
At least it aint going to fall off I guess, but getting any grit /sand etc in it would be a fair disaster.

Not had chance to get near it to check the WiFi connection yet, and with the amount of menus / sub menus, will be fun.

I thought I had told the settings to remain as were when updating, but ended up having to do them all again.
Still enjoying the ownership experience, and do like using it - will be trying various no auto settings next.

Hand Grip / QR plate This I have liked, and not a bad price - fits fine, and makes placing on my ball top three legged thing easy.

The non Leica thumb grip, slightly different to the official one, worked well :-
Thumb Grip
I think Leica must make each one by hand, atom by atom, the amount of time it took!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yup, a very tight fit!
At least it aint going to fall off I guess, but getting any grit /sand etc in it would be a fair disaster.

Not had chance to get near it to check the WiFi connection yet, and with the amount of menus / sub menus, will be fun.

I thought I had told the settings to remain as were when updating, but ended up having to do them all again.
Still enjoying the ownership experience, and do like using it - will be trying various no auto settings next.
Good its not just me then, might look at alternatives as I don't want to unecessarily scratch the hood.

Leica Manchester have these in stock - might pop in and take a look (even 3rd party suppliers get in on the Leica Tax!)

Hand Grip / QR plate This I have liked, and not a bad price - fits fine, and makes placing on my ball top three legged thing easy.

The non Leica thumb grip, slightly different to the official one, worked well :-
Thumb Grip
I think Leica must make each one by hand, atom by atom, the amount of time it took!

I've got the JJC Handgrip https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Release-Bracket-Holder-Digital/dp/B0CFLJ8R8C?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 - jury's out on it, although I appreciate the grip part, and the fact that the camera actually sits on the baseplate when placed on a flat surface, I feel it unbalances the camera slightly. Arca plate useful though.

Almost certainly will invest the RRS L bracket for the Q3 when it becomes available https://reallyrightstuff.com/leica-q3-custom-plate/ as this allows quick swapping between landscape and portrait modes.

I have a problem with thumb grips in that I use the exposure compensation dial a lot, and both the JJC and Leica Grips make access to the rotary dial just a little bit harder.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can't speak for the Q3 but I have a third-party JJC Arca grip and a separate thumb grip for my Q2, both of which were well under 1/4 the Leica version's price, and both of which fit the Q2 perfectly and seem to be very well made. They also make the camera so much easier to hold and to use. So, buying the Leica equivalents is unnecessary. The battery on the other hand, well, no third-party options exist, so it's a matter of taking your medicine like a big boy :/

I can't speak for the Q3 but I have a third-party JJC Arca grip and a separate thumb grip for my Q2, both of which were well under 1/4 the Leica version's price, and both of which fit the Q2 perfectly and seem to be very well made. They also make the camera so much easier to hold and to use. So, buying the Leica equivalents is unnecessary. The battery on the other hand, well, no third-party options exist, so it's a matter of taking your medicine like a big boy :/
Indeed, both of the JJC grips are linked above, and for me are OK.
Having said that, the RRS grip that Mr Perceptive has linked to really does look good, as does the lens cap.
There was me thinking my investment in camera stuff was going to be less, i'm very happy no other lenses will become available!

advertisement

Back