advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

As time goes on, I'm appreciating cameras which - whilst old compared to the latest tech - have a certain magic about their image quality (or perhaps ones those that take nice pictures despite my oft-mediocre skills!). Sadly, I don't think manufacturers will ever move away from the quest for ever-greater resolution - fine for those who really need it but for me it's a huge downer. As an example, I'd been really looking forward to Fuji's X-T5 but on hearing news of it having a 40MP sensor, my interest died instantly. Anyway, just a personal view and the manufacturers know their market better than I, even if I don't agree with them. :D

Favourite cameras in my collection are: D700, Canon 5D Mk1, Fuji S5 Pro and an honourable mention to the X-Pro1. GR III wins the jpeg monochrome award. I enjoyed the M240 but don't miss it one bit.

What's more, *old stuff is cheap. :)

Picked this up yesterday - it's spotless, less than 7k clicks and has the most gorgeous IQ. It also really lets the 77 Limited shine, its 16MP sensor giving the lens an easier time.

K-5 II s by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Harley with the 77 Ltd by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

*This is relative of course.

As time goes on, I'm appreciating cameras which - whilst old compared to the latest tech - have a certain magic about their image quality (or perhaps ones those that take nice pictures despite my oft-mediocre skills!). Sadly, I don't think manufacturers will ever move away from the quest for ever-greater resolution - fine for those who really need it but for me it's a huge downer. As an example, I'd been really looking forward to Fuji's X-T5 but on hearing news of it having a 40MP sensor, my interest died instantly. Anyway, just a personal view and the manufacturers know their market better than I, even if I don't agree with them. :D

Favourite cameras in my collection are: D700, Canon 5D Mk1, Fuji S5 Pro and an honourable mention to the X-Pro1. GR III wins the jpeg monochrome award. I enjoyed the M240 but don't miss it one bit.

What's more, *old stuff is cheap. :)

Picked this up yesterday - it's spotless, less than 7k clicks and has the most gorgeous IQ. It also really lets the 77 Limited shine, its 16MP sensor giving the lens an easier time.

K-5 II s by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Harley with the 77 Ltd by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

*This is relative of course.

There is a lot to be said for low density sensors - and IMO they defintely have a more natural feel to the images than the high density sensors of late.

Interesting. I think I read somewhere that the sweetspot is meant to be 24MP, but my favourite of my own photographs was taken with a 10.5MP D80 with an old CCD sensor.

Interesting. I think I read somewhere that the sweetspot is meant to be 24MP, but my favourite of my own photographs was taken with a 10.5MP D80 with an old CCD sensor.

Re 24MP I've heard that too. I've certainly found that - for my needs - anything above 24 isn't necessary, not only for the resolution but for giving my Mac Mini an easier time. Saying that, I did do some woodland photography a while back using a Sony A7R3 (42MP), having a 4' print done. It hangs on the wall in our living room and it's staggering for the detail - you can view it from 1' away and it still looks amazing.

For overall 'look' I still love the D700 (12MP) and the S5 Pro's Super CCD is wonderful too - in fact the latter has noticeably better DR than the Canon 6D, especially in the highlights. The Fuji is effectively 6MP as 2 pixels are shared between one photosite - one for shadow, the other for highlights. A modern CCD with the same tech (let's say 24MP or so) would be incredible I feel, although it'll never get made.

Re 24MP I've heard that too. I've certainly found that - for my needs - anything above 24 isn't necessary, not only for the resolution but for giving my Mac Mini an easier time. Saying that, I did do some woodland photography a while back using a Sony A7R3 (42MP), having a 4' print done. It hangs on the wall in our living room and it's staggering for the detail - you can view it from 1' away and it still looks amazing.

For overall 'look' I still love the D700 (12MP) and the S5 Pro's Super CCD is wonderful too - in fact the latter has noticeably better DR than the Canon 6D, especially in the highlights. The Fuji is effectively 6MP as 2 pixels are shared between one photosite - one for shadow, the other for highlights. A modern CCD with the same tech (let's say 24MP or so) would be incredible I feel, although it'll never get made.

I'd agree, I'd add the X100 (original), X-Pro1, X-T1, 5Di to your list as well - I'd also add the original GFX/Pentax MF sensor,, although 50MP is only equivalent density of 12MP APSC.

There is chance we will get S5pro tech in the future but it will come in the guise of Quad Bayer sensors, where each colour element in the array has 4 photo sites - this can then be used in multiple ways - high resolution (though with a slight spatial resolution accuracy compromise) or as 4 light gathering cells. By altering tha balance (sensitivity of the photosites, which can be done electronically) we can effectively have each photosite tuned to be sensitive in the shadows/mid-range/highlights as required.

I don’t bother myself with the in-depth tech, but the 24mp stacked sensor on my Canon is a wonderful thing. I adore the results, a league ahead of my old 5D3, similar pixel count.

Having been bitten by the film bug, swapped out my Hasselblad C 50mm for a newer CF, mainly for the convenience of being able to use the same filters as with my 80mm CF. Probably should have held out for a CF with FLE as it's optically better but since all my shots are typically distance shots at small apertures should be OK.

Which? You'll love it, I'm sure.
Q3 - a very difficult decision, but too many of the second user ones (Q2) are quite battered, one of the guys at Ffordes said that its quite common with Leicas as lots of people who can afford 5K cameras, can afford not to treat them very well. If I'm spending that kind of money I want it boxed, and with every accessory it originally came with!!

Q3 - a very difficult decision, but too many of the second user ones (Q2) are quite battered, one of the guys at Ffordes said that its quite common with Leicas as lots of people who can afford 5K cameras, can afford not to treat them very well. If I'm spending that kind of money I want it boxed, and with every accessory it originally came with!!
Interesting. I bet it's a great camera!

Mine arrived late yesterday. Not had a chance to use it yet; as it happens the online shop has a package deal with the 16-80/4 for £250 more, and although I wasn't planning on getting that lens, it's tempting to return what I have and get it as the package. OTOH I really would rather have the 16-55/2.8 so it boils down to whether I should hold off for that or settle for the cheaper lens...

Mine arrived late yesterday. Not had a chance to use it yet; as it happens the online shop has a package deal with the 16-80/4 for £250 more, and although I wasn't planning on getting that lens, it's tempting to return what I have and get it as the package. OTOH I really would rather have the 16-55/2.8 so it boils down to whether I should hold off for that or settle for the cheaper lens...
The 16-55 is like having a bunch of primes in a zoom, the 16-80 although a good lens seemes to suffer from sample variation (and being a 5x zoom) is more optically challenged.

Reactions: JTC
I've had the K-1 for almost 8-years now, certainly don't feel the need to change, especially with the addition of the D-FA* 50mm f1.4 around 6-months ago. We had our first child and in the first week (while in the hospital) the FA43 broke, focus locked up and I'd been looking at the 50mm for a while, so went for it and got a nice used one from SRS.
It's been mainly used for baby photos since (can't share any here) but its an excellent bit of kit, fast and accurate AF, pin sharp even at f1.4.

Just realised I left the D-FA28-105 off this photo, as the kit lens.

20240202_091008 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Ladybug by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Shootout by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The 16-55 is like having a bunch of primes in a zoom, the 16-80 although a good lens seemes to suffer from sample variation (and being a 5x zoom) is more optically challenged.
That's my worry, that the 16-80 is too much compromise over what I have (13/1.4 Viltrox, 16/1.4, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2 and 100-400. Damn, I have too many lenses already!!!

advertisement

Back