advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Black Friday got me too. Having returned the Olympus EM1 mark iii due to disappointment with its autofocus capabilities I read around and discovered that Canon’s R6 Mk2 was very well reviewed in this respect so decided I’d save for one. Then £600 the body, and deals on two prime RFs (35 and 85mm) tipped me over the edge!
That’s about what the M6 sold for iirc. With the primes you’ll be set up for years now 🙂

That’s about what the M6 sold for iirc. With the primes you’ll be set up for years now 🙂
Thanks, I hope so. It’s a big purchase so I spent literally hours with the lovely folk at Parks (Burgess Hill) going over the options and pros and cons of each “infrastructure” (brand). Apparently 7 of the 10 main staff there use Canon, which helped support the decision, then, as I say, the autofocus reviews of the Mk2 sealed the choice. I only picked up the 35mm on Sunday, so haven’t done much with it yet, but have a 5 week sabbatical over Christmas so will be out and about from next week. Wonder what the new comp thread will be? I will enter it if I can!

In a moment of weakness I have ordered a Viltrox 13/1.4 for my XT2. Whether I can then justify keeping the Fuji 16/1.4 remains to be seen. My dabble with the Samyang 12/2 back in spring made me yearn for something a touch wider. The Samyang was soft as, however, but the Viltrox is meant to be in a different league.
Still waiting for it... meantime, I'm eying up that 16-80/4 in the classifieds, thinking being that I have an 18-55 and a 16/1.4 which I rarely use at anything lower than f4 anyway, plus I'd gain WR on the 18-55 range. The 16-55/2.8 remains tempting but I suspect it's not going to be significantly better than the 16-80 at the apertures I'd use.

Meantime, I've started to contemplate getting a Q2M as I shoot mostly B&W on the Q2.... but I know that this is a big step to take...

Still waiting for it... meantime, I'm eying up that 16-80/4 in the classifieds, thinking being that I have an 18-55 and a 16/1.4 which I rarely use at anything lower than f4 anyway, plus I'd gain WR on the 18-55 range. The 16-55/2.8 remains tempting but I suspect it's not going to be significantly better than the 16-80 at the apertures I'd use.

Meantime, I've started to contemplate getting a Q2M as I shoot mostly B&W on the Q2.... but I know that this is a big step to take...

Q2M is a lovely kit of kit, I've used one a little, as a friend has one, its quite a different experience. It was interesting comparing it against the GFX.

In the foreground the GFX was at least its equal, but in the middle ground (landscape image), the Q2M was definitely sharper (benefits from no colour sensor in the way and 'that' lens) and it held this into the far distance. The GFX had a little more 'depth' to the image as you would expect.

It is super sharp (as you would expect with no colour sensor) and has some real depth to the blacks, but you have to be very careful with highlights and once blown it really is blown.

If I fell over a large pile of ££££, it would be on my shopping list.

Reactions: JTC
After our daughters Christmas list included a film camera, I thought I had better resurrect my Olympus OM-1,redo the light seals and remove the degraded foam around the prism. Of course navigating eBay led to a few other purchases....

53391630906_86517d236d_b.jpg

Two OM-2 SP's , one listed as untested and one as non-working, and prices accordingly. The untested one was fine and nearly mint, just needed batteries. The non-working one was non functional and locked up, however opening the base plate of both cameras showed that one of the meshing gears was misaligned, some googling and a bit of disassembly and messing around solved the issue, and it too is now fully functioning and on really nice condition.
OM-4. Listed as non working, so what the heck, bought it for a song. It arrived and looked pristine, put in batteries and it was fully functional, the seller had listed it as non-working since they could not test it out.
With the cameras had of course to pick up a couple of nice Zuikos to go with them (24 f2.8 and 35 f2.8)
Just need to redo the light seals on them all.

Oh forgot to mention that there were two Winder 2s thrown in essentially for free, both working.

Last edited:
I love those little OM cameras, they look and feel so beautifully engineered. Well done on the DIY repairing. Did you lubricate too?

I love those little OM cameras, they look and feel so beautifully engineered. Well done on the DIY repairing. Did you lubricate too?

I didn't, its easy to take off the base plate to do so. My question would be what to use, I assume they would use a very light oil. I have a copy of a service manual for the OM-2SP I will have to take a look and see if it has any info.

I didn't, its easy to take off the base plate to do so. My question would be what to use, I assume they would use a very light oil. I have a copy of a service manual for the OM-2SP I will have to take a look and see if it has any info.

I'm sure I posted this this morning, but I've read that sewing machine oil is the one to use.

I succumbed a few weeks ago. Nikon Z f to complement my Z7ii. Loving it.

Nice one :)

Not for some time has a camera shouted 'buy me' quite like the Zf and as a long-time Nikonist I almost feel duty-bound to get one. All in good time though.

Something a little left-field perhaps, but I did have a play with a friend's Pentax K3 III Monochrome last weekend. It's such a shame that Pentax are on the outer reaches of the market these days as the K3M is absolutely gorgeous. Build quality is superb, and everything makes so much sense in terms of UI and that mono sensor is a wee bit special.

I have a number of Z lenses so a Z f isn’t too much of a leap. I’m stunned by the IBIS..0.5s to 1s hand held is ridiculous.

Here's my most recent purchase

VkcBwbD.jpg

Incredibly small, and well made, like all other Zuiko OM primes I have. Balances nicely on my beloved OM2n.

I've never owned a medium tele so I'm looking forward to the composition challenges.

I've just developed the first test roll, it's hanging to dry.

I can't wait to see the results!

Here's my most recent purchase

VkcBwbD.jpg

Incredibly small, and well made, like all other Zuiko OM primes I have. Balances nicely on my beloved OM2n.

I've never owned a medium tele so I'm looking forward to the composition challenges.

I've just developed the first test roll, it's hanging to dry.

I can't wait to see the results!
It's a lovely lens, so compact, I have one in my stable.

Not bought it (yet!) but I've been given the opportunity to borrow a Pentax K1 Mk1 from a good friend for a couple of weeks.

He may sell it on, but as it's not being used much he's kindly offered it to me for a try out. He's thrown in an M42/PK adapter (the proper Pentax one) which means being able to use my old Takumar 135-3.5. He's also put a Sigma 50 EX 1.4 in with the K1, a lens he describes as 'crap' but it'll get me started.

Arrived this morning, battery presently being charged.

Lump by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

It's quite a lump.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back