advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Tried the XH2 for the first time last night, in the house, with the Viltrox 13/1.4. First impressions are that it is more similar in use to something like an EOS than to my XT2. Focuses much better. Nicer grip. Very good camera. Feels a little strange, though. So many menus to set it up so that it works like I want it to. I've setup - and intend to use - four custom functions: Daytime handheld (ISO 800), Daytime tripod (IBIS off, etc., ISO 125), Nighttime tripod (similar to daytime but some tweaks) and Lowlight handheld (auto ISO). I'll refine these a bit later.

So I perchanced to be walking past LCE this afternoon, and spotted a Canon 50mm F1.2L USM in the second hand section. By an astonishing coincidence, I just happened to be taking my 50mm 1.4 for a walk.

It would have been a shame not to take advantage of this opportunity.

So I did.

Edit: Although I had a moment of panic this morning when I stuck it on the 5D4 and it wouldn’t open up more than f/1.4! Then I RTFM……..breathe deeply.

Last edited:
First shoot outdoors with the XH2 yesterday. It's a fine camera. Some adjustment required to get used to its slightly different handling characteristics, but it is super responsive in all respects, and - against my expectations - I think it does have lower noise at higher ISOs than my XT2, and I can't see any significant noise or degradation in IQ when shooting at ISO800 over ISO125, at least not so far. So that, combined with the 6-stop IBIS and fast glass, mean that I am likely to get more 'keepers' than I did with the XT2. I still think the XT2 is a stellar camera even in 2024, and an utter bargain if you can get one for £300-400 as I'm told is their resale now....

Been a bit active on eBay... sold a number of Nikon lenses that I never used, and have been adding to my Hasselblad V series lenses. Today sold my Nikon 28-200 F5.6 lens for the same price I bought a 250mm CF Hasselblad Sonnar. Not that the Nikon was a bad lens, far from it, it was a decent zoom, but the Sonnar from the late 80's in todays money would be around $7000, where as the Nikon in todays money would be $500, I picked up the Sonnar from Japan near mint for $220 with free shipping. OK I can't mount it easily on a current DSLR I guess...

Last edited:

Sold all my DSLR stuff as I just wasn’t taking it out with me and have gone back to a Ricoh GR. Got a boxed near mint example for a great price.

I‘ve owned every variant bar the GR II and while the latest GR III variant is better on paper they made the body shorter and got rid of the rocker switch which makes it far less ergonomic imo, especially for one hand shooting.

Lovely Rolleiflex! The one camera I regret selling (mine was a lowly 3.5F).

My confession is just finalizing my Hasselblad collection, just received a mint late version Sonnar 250 CF, for $230 (including express shipping) from Japan. Well and a Hasselblad 1.4x converter for just over $100.

I love that Rollei. I want to get one for my wife, but keep stalling. Can't help loving a good TLR though.

(Interestingly, she started her career off with a Rollei, but felt peer pressure to move to Hasselblad; she loved that Rollei but couldn't afford to keep it and never really took to the Hassie system. That says as much for the qualities of the Rollei as anything...)

I love that Rollei. I want to get one for my wife, but keep stalling. Can't help loving a good TLR though.

(Interestingly, she started her career off with a Rollei, but felt peer pressure to move to Hasselblad; she loved that Rollei but couldn't afford to keep it and never really took to the Hassie system. That says as much for the qualities of the Rollei as anything...)

Sarah at Cambrian Photography has acquired a large collection of Rolleiflexes for retail, she is currently in the process of getting them checked/serviced (by an ex-Rolleiflex Service Engineer) and they will be trickling out over the next few months. This is where mine came from.

Might be worth a call/chat

In other news I finally got the 16-80/4 along with the XH2. I'd originally ordered just the XH2 body as they'd been out of stock of the package deal, but agreed to honour it when the lens came back in stock. So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the 16-80/4. It definitely seems sharp corner-to-corner despite what I've read in some reviews. As sharp as (say) the 35/1.4 or 56/1.2 when those lenses are at f4-f8? Possibly not. But very good nonetheless.

Last week I snaffled a Nikon Z 135/F1.8 Plena for a very sensible price, its quite a lens, may take a while to really discover its true abilities.
Its good journey with this photography lark later in life, it gives you time to get to grips with those small settings and situtaions that you stumble on which make it worth while.

Afghan_Girl%2C_Sharbat_Gula.jpg

BTW this photo was done on a Nikon FM and a 75-150 E-Series zoom.

I’ve been fitting this Mossy Oak Graphics vinyl to my 100-500 and 1.4x today. Fingers crossed I’ll be getting slightly closer to my feathered and furry friends from now on.

advertisement

Back