advertisement

The Leveson Inquiry Thread.

I think your politics are clouding whatever consideration you might normally have for what is usually called "natural justice" - something evidently lacking from most on this forum in this case.

Sure, I don't like this government, or for that matter the one that preceded it, and I don't like Murdoch that much either. It's nothing personal about Chunt; I don't know, nor care about the man in the slightest. I do however find it exceptionally amusing watching the whole lot unwind in front on my eyes. There is nothing here to take too seriously, just a load of feckless fools making a right old mess of things. What's not to like? Don't take my posts so seriously - I'm actually laughing my head off, and when I, a humble website owner / record dealer, make far more accurate predictions about the economy that the Chancellor Of The Exchequer then surely it's time for others to start pointing and laughing too. Omnishambles: it's the word of the week.

Anyone catch PM tonight?

Michael Gove came on to answer questions on things various.

Eddie Mair put him on the back foot. Quoted the Ministerial Code about ministers being responsible for actions of special advisers; Gove couldn't come up with a good reason why a minister can be responsible but not resign over a matter of this gravity, explained condescendingly why one shouldn't take things so literally and best of all how other ministers had done worse in the past and not resigned. He was then skewered on a question of if the Coalition were so open, why did it take so long for them to give out the whole story of the PM having dinner with Rebekah Brooks & James Murdoch 2 nights after Vince Cable was booted off the job? A bad attempt at deflection ("Look at all the info we have released") before falling back on attempting fake bonhomie with Eddie.

A toe curling performance from Gove.

Gove is the most egregious gonk on the front benches, though at times it's difficult to distinguish between them. It's a zero integrity zone.

Cameron, Hunt and Murdoch have done deals to hobble the BBC, remove regulation and ensure Murdoch acquired the shares in BSKYB and help get Cameron into No.10. It's all there.

The NewsCorp in-house code name for the BSkyB bid was Rubicon. Wasn't that something to do with some old Italian bloke crossing into a country, finishing off the opposition and taking over the state?

Cameron, Hunt and Murdoch have done deals to hobble the BBC, remove regulation and ensure Murdoch acquired the shares in BSKYB and help get Cameron into No.10. It's all there.

I notice that KRM repeated JRM's theme that the BBC is guilty of 'dumping' free news on the internet and distorting the market for them. This is typical of the right-wing critics of the public sector. They assume that because something is funded through taxation it represents a free good when compared to privately-raised finace and is not competing fairly. Of course, when looked at from the 'E' side rather than the 'I' side, then all public sector spending is represented as a drag on the pricate sector and an inefficient waste. The Murdochs wanted (and got, I believe) a cap on the BBC's commercial exploits. What a bunch of hunts.

Dave n Karen Cameron,

I'LL SAY GOODBYE TO CHUNT

All the years of useless search
Have finally reached an end
Loneliness and empty days will be my only friend
From this day Chunt is forgotten
I'll go on as best I can

What lies in the future is a mystery to us all
No one can predict the wheel of fortune as it falls
There may come a time when I will see that I've been wrong
But for now this is my song

And it's goodbye to Chunt
I'll say goodbye to Chunt

Ha! Squirm your way out of that one Cameron!

The BBC have completely defused this story.

The Guardian says: "Lord Justice Leveson has rebuffed the government by making clear it was not his inquiry's role to rule if the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has breached the ministerial code by his handling of the News Corp bid for BSkyB."

The BBC's line is: Leveson has said Chunt will have to stay in his place in the Leveson Inquiry queue.

This is a prime example of how the BBC is a government propaganda machine.

Jack

The BBC have completely defused this story.

The Guardian says: "Lord Justice Leveson has rebuffed the government by making clear it was not his inquiry's role to rule if the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has breached the ministerial code by his handling of the News Corp bid for BSkyB."

The BBC's line is: Leveson has said Chunt will have to stay in his place in the Leveson Inquiry queue.

This is a prime example of how the BBC is a government propaganda machine.

Jack

the bbc will have to be careful before the elections next week. Frustrating, but all you have to do is listen to hislop.

Number 10 being allowed to say whether or not there is any investigation to be made over this is like a an armed robber being allowed to decide whether or not he should be prosecuted!

How is the Murdoch press reporting the CHunt thing? I've not been paying attention really as I've not bought The Times for ages and Sky News just makes me swear.

I had a quick look (forgive me, Lord) at the Sky site today and it was pretty straight. Can't get at the Times online, of course.

advertisement

Back