advertisement

System Pics 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe,

I think that system is screaming for a Denon DL-103, personally.

Hiya Y,

I just pulled the trigger on a Zu Audio DL-103. Should be arriving in a week or so. I'll let you know how I get on with it. Should be fun! I have a new Stageline S that AV Options here in the States upgraded with "z-foil" resistors, but I've never used it. It'll be good to put some tunes through it. (Though if I like the 103, I'll probably get an SUT at some point and revert to using the Stageline N.)

All best,
Joe

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Exposure MCX preamp
Exposure 16 Monos
Rega RP8 with Swagman PSU for the TTPSU, Incognito re-wired arm, Blue Horizons mat, sitting on Townshend Seismic Platform, and Hana SL cartridge
Hegel HD25 DAC sourced from PC, PUC2 USB/SPDIF interface powered by Teddy Pardo USB PSU
Naim Superline/Teddy Supercap
TE Groove Anniversary
Harbeth M30.1
Headamp GS-X MK II headphone amp

The space at the top of the right hand rack used to hold this:

IMG_1459.jpg

It is now waiting for one of these:

viella3.jpg

It is excellent, easily on the same level as the AT33PTG/ii or Benz Glider, probably closer in tone to the latter, but a bit more dynamic. It followed an Ortofon Cadenza Black which I moved to the RP10 (briefly), and I didn't regard the change to the Hana SL as a downgrade in any way.

Rega RP8 with Swagman PSU for the TTPSU, Incognito re-wired arm, Blue Horizons mat, sitting on Townshend Seismic Platform, and Hana SL cartridge

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

I must admit, the latest Rega turntables really do look the biz; I was looking at them when I was in Infidelity recently.

The Townshend platform is much more substantial than it looks - it is actually quite heavy and the four springs are quite stiff. I haven't done a direct A/B comparison with and without the platform, but the turntable is sounding excellent so I suspect the platform is contributing to some of that.

My downsized system:

System-May-2016.jpg

Which comprises:
Squeezebox Touch
Rega P25 with AT33 PTG cartridge (not seen: Dyna P75 phono stage)
MDAC Level 2 ("Toy")
SPL Phonitor headphone amp [this for sale]
Stax SRM-006T headphone amp
Stax SR-404 Signature headphones
Adam Compact Classic Actives

Sorry it's not more exciting. I like the Adams, they sound good, the Stax is incredible and until FDAC arrives, not much will be changing.... PS. Must remember to remove silly copyright notice from LR exports :)

Mac Mini --> Mdac --> Eclipse A502 TD amp --> Apertura thema (& cat)
IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

Waiting for john westlake FDAC/VFET amps...

cheers... :)

all Cairn - fog 2 cd player, 4808A amp, and Mea mono's...with a belkin pf40 just in view on the right... and dali suite 2.8 speakers...

sounds great too...

Recently got in a Trio KHA-50 mc head amp to try between my Kenwood 500 amp and KD-990 deck. A friend lent me his AT33PTG/ii to use as my cart is a homc. It's a lovely sounding cartridge.

2016-05-21%2023.28.17_zpsgtzb4kpz.jpg

2016-05-21%2023.29.02_zpszsdm3on8.jpg

2016-05-24%2011.51.52_zps6zbppuqd.jpg

2016-05-24%2011.53.38_zps8ilcuzfb.jpg

Hiya Y,

I just pulled the trigger on a Zu Audio DL-103. Should be arriving in a week or so. I'll let you know how I get on with it. Should be fun! I have a new Stageline S that AV Options here in the States upgraded with "z-foil" resistors, but I've never used it. It'll be good to put some tunes through it. (Though if I like the 103, I'll probably get an SUT at some point and revert to using the Stageline N.)

All best,
Joe

You will love it! Mine now has an ESCO sapphire cantilever and paratrace stylus, but my search for the ultimate cartridge has ended.

You will love it! Mine now has an ESCO sapphire cantilever and paratrace stylus, but my search for the ultimate cartridge has ended.

Tell us more Jem- l myself had a bog standard 103 fitted with ART Q Damper into an SME V/ Gyrodec SE and that was an epic combo- so musical it was silly.
9 The 103 not supposed to work in an SME V etc.)

RDlEqvd.jpg

I used to have a pair of KEF Reference 4.2s with 2x Bryston 7B-ST monoblocks driving them but alas the march of progress (and kids) saw me have to settle for the above setup.

• KEF Reference 1 in Rosewood (I bought one of the first units in the world apparently)
  • Devialet 120
  • Teak root platforms custom ordered from RAFT

My listening room's being turned into a nursery so doubtless be saying goodbye to this system too since i can't figure out where to put it!

Tell us more Jem- l myself had a bog standard 103 fitted with ART Q Damper into an SME V/ Gyrodec SE and that was an epic combo- so musical it was silly.
9 The 103 not supposed to work in an SME V etc.)

I've told the story on here before, but at one time I used Decca Londons, flawed but exciting, then Linn and then Lyra MCs, always looking for that magic spark of reality that the Decca brings without the hassle that comes along with it. I realised that going up the Lyra tree was taking me further from my goal, so I decided a re-tip of my current Lyra was the way to go, and I bought a DL103 as the cheapest MC I could find to keep me going.
When the Lyra returned I was torn between the two presentations, and decided that a slightly more refined DL103 was what I wanted. The Zu version appeared, so I bought one speculatively, and it was exactly what I expected. the only minor niggle was tracking ability on a few highly modulated records, so when the cantilever was damaged by my carelessness, I sent it off to ESCO, and had their cantilever and stylus fitted as I'd enjoyed their paratrace stylus on my Lyra. When it (eventually...) returned, I felt I had finally got the cartridge I'd always wanted. Just sounds like people playing instruments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back