advertisement

System Pics 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got in a Trio KHA-50 mc head amp to try between my Kenwood 500 amp and KD-990 deck. A friend lent me his AT33PTG/ii to use as my cart is a homc. It's a lovely sounding cartridge.

2016-05-21%2023.28.17_zpsgtzb4kpz.jpg

2016-05-21%2023.29.02_zpszsdm3on8.jpg

2016-05-24%2011.51.52_zps6zbppuqd.jpg

2016-05-24%2011.53.38_zps8ilcuzfb.jpg

I had a Trio head amp back in the early 80s. The circuit came out of one of the statement Trio L-0 preamps (can't remember which one). Sounded very good. Only sold mine a few years ago

Nice pics and obviously some great kit there Badger! Looks like a very nice space for both systems. The pic of the Convergence mono's is interesting, puts them in perspective, didn't realize quite how big they were even when looking at the dimension specs! Would love to hear them. Enjoy!

Just to add to this Tim, the Convergence Mono amp dimensions are the same as the Convergence phono stage, so they are small: Size (L x W x H inc feet): 335mm x 170mm x 108mm. Weight = approximately 5kgs each

Each amp has a proper linear power supply and 200VA transformer and a signal path only a few centimetres long. Certainly one of the shortest in any piece of equipment made today. A very low output impedance (0.07ohms) means it has very good control of the loudspeaker.

So now you know :p

Thanks Badger, didn't mean to imply the monos are huge, but looking at them in your pics just gives a better perspective of them. I guess the depth of them more so.

Appreciate the information on the power supply etc. too!

You're welcome. If you are in the market for a new amp - I can't recommend enough.
I would say that, as i bought it, but to be fair when appraising a new amp i listened to a lot, borrowed some, and made a pretty detailed and informed choice.

Tannoy stands look good. Where are they from?

They're custom stands made by Les at Sound Damped Steel. The SDS plates use constrained layer damping to minimise vibrations travelling through to the floor. I'm happy to recommend Les. He did a great job and the stands are very effective. BTW you can't tell from the pics but they are sat on spikes.

2016-03-25%2019.14.57_zpsqpa0hwov.jpg

I had a Trio head amp back in the early 80s. The circuit came out of one of the statement Trio L-0 preamps (can't remember which one). Sounded very good. Only sold mine a few years ago

Thanks doc. That's interesting as there's not much info about them on the web. I did find an Audioscope ad that mentioned the technology came from the KA-907. It may well be that it filtered down to the 907 from the L-0 series too. I've really nothing to compare it to but it is a good sounding thing. I'm glad to hear that you liked it.

You will love it! Mine now has an ESCO sapphire cantilever and paratrace stylus, but my search for the ultimate cartridge has ended.

bd4179be-6623-4a0f-91e5-5b8ecb8a7c58_zpspz1kswba.jpg

The Zu DL-103 is up and running! With the caveat that most cartridges (within certain parameters) will sound at least decent in an Aro, the Zu complements the Naim LP12's strengths nicely. It locks into the beat and focuses your attention there. I haven't quite got the azimuth spot-on just yet, nor have I the heavy Aro counterweight, nor an SUT, which is probably the way to go with this cartridge, but for all that, this thing's great. The black billet body also looks the part in the Aro.

I had been using a Rega Exact, on the advice of my dealer, which was nice, if a bit finicky with setup. I have a few albums (some old, some new) that the Exact imbued with right-channel distortion that no amount of tinkering could quite banish.

No such problems with the Zu -- these records sounded great: bold and authoritative. Makes me wonder how much more cartridge one really needs!

An update from my pics of a few weeks ago. The Hegel HD25 has been replaced by a Metrum Pavane, and the Rega RP10 replaced by an AMG Viella.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

The AMG is an interesting choice (looking good I must say) - how did it compare to the alternatives?

The AMG is an interesting choice (looking good I must say) - how did it compare to the alternatives?

I can only compare it to the turntables I have previously owned - an LP12/Ekos SE/Keel/Radikal, an Orbe/SME IV, an Ace Spacedeck/Morch DP-6 and the Rega RP8 and RP10.

The AMG is in a different league to all of the above. It has a depth of tone, colour and texture I have not heard before, with super-quiet backgrounds, phenomenal, tuneful bass, and incredible speed and dynamics. Compared to the other turntables I have mentioned, it is like going from black and white to technicolor. It really is an astonishing piece of equipment. As you can tell, I am extremely impressed with it.

Before buying it, I was planning to listen to some of the AMG's current peers, the SME 20/3, the Kuzma Reference, Avid and Brinkmann Balance and Bardo. But I was offered such an excellent deal on the AMG, that I couldn't resist ordering it. Reviews suggest that the AMG is comparable with much more expensive turntables than even that peer group. Of course, we all know that reviews are not entirely to be believed. But having heard how superior the AMG is to turntables I am familiar with, it would not surprise me.

Ah, I was rather hoping that you had compared it those that you mention but I quite understand why you didn't. I'm glad to hear it is hitting the right spot though :). I see you do have an RP10 there to directly compare it to.

An update from my pics of a few weeks ago. The Hegel HD25 has been replaced by a Metrum Pavane, and the Rega RP10 replaced by an AMG Viella.

IMG_1633.jpg

Hello Ross.

Can I ask what those racks you have are? And if possible whre you bought them from? I'm after a rack for my kit.

I thought he just did.... :confused:

Ah, I meant the ones mentioned in his second paragraph.

Before buying it, I was planning to listen to some of the AMG's current peers, the SME 20/3, the Kuzma Reference, Avid and Brinkmann Balance and Bardo. But I was offered such an excellent deal on the AMG, that I couldn't resist ordering it. Reviews suggest that the AMG is comparable with much more expensive turntables than even that peer group. Of course, we all know that reviews are not entirely to be believed. But having heard how superior the AMG is to turntables I am familiar with, it would not surprise me.

Can I ask what those racks you have are? And if possible whre you bought them from? I'm after a rack for my kit.

I bought them at a store here in Sydney many years ago and I have no recollection of what they are called, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back