advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

AC1 to AC3 ?

Well I've always been curious to do the demo and this weekend I got the chance as I took in a secondhand AC3 with the 3 motors.

I wasn't sure what to expect because comments and internet rants have always ranged from the "I couldn't tell and difference, its just a marketing ploy" to "the earth's axis altered slightly".

Well for me, in my system, the difference is quite marked and it's quite interesting to go back to all those early reviews and read what was said because they were mostly based on the AC3.

Better precision, quite a bit more focus, instruments and vocals are cleaner and more firmly locked in space and anchored down, with greater air around them and generally the table just sounds noticeably more metrononic and stable like the speed stability and unshakeable surefootedness of a CD player. Going back to the single motor afterwards is a bit of a downer with everything sounding all a bit vague and wooly by comparison. So yes, a big upgrade for me and I am reluctant to let the motors go.

8565788959_435441c159_c.jpg

Must be mating time for Ravens; rare as hens' teeth used, then three (or more) come along in the space of a few months.

Presumably, if you take away the two motors, it becomes an AC1; or is it not as simple as that (controller)?

Hi mike, yes you just unplug the motors. The motor controllers all have 3 outputs so its a fairly simple exercise.

As an aside, I understand TW now make a single motor unit but with 3 motors in it and 3 spindles. This is much like the original black knight motor arrangement but in a smaller casing so as not to increase the footprint too much over an AC1. One would hope that the sonic benefits are as good as having 3 separate motors on 3 points of the compass.

8572355509_540c5bfde5.jpg

8573449200_90c2f17475.jpg

Hmm that didn't work. I'll try and work this out. I have two pictures on flickr. How do I get them to show?

Ok so I have got a link on here but I can't seem to embed it. Any clues?

Here you go Mark King.

In Flickr, go to the "share" button above the image and select "grab the html/BB code". I;ve used the BB code. Copy the text in the box and paste here. Note, the key bit you need out of that is the section wrapped in [ IMG ]...[ /IMG ]. Don't use the URL as the link - that won't work!

8573449200_90c2f17475.jpg

Here you go Mark King.

In Flickr, go to the "share" button above the image and select "grab the html/BB code". I;ve used the BB code. Copy the text in the box and paste here. Note, the key bit you need out of that is the section wrapped in [ IMG ]...[ /IMG ]. Don't use the URL as the link - that won't work!

Cheers for the help. I think I have got it :)

A few more up to date pics.
Clearaudio solution + unify and sumiko blue point 2
MS phono stage (to be upgraded as soon as one turns up at the right price.
Krell 400xi
Denon 3910 for DVD and CD transport
Denon 3805 running centre speaker and a couple of KEF eggs
MDAC (hope to upgrade to MPAX and MB upgrade when fully available)
Zotec mini PC. Connected to MDAC through USB and optical out.
Martin lofan Clarity and Fresco centre. Did have Fresco's for rear but too large so they are used in another room.
REL Strata III not in photo. Used for films only.
BT Vision + box
JRiver Media centre with Gizmo and iphone 4s to control
Synology twin drive NAS (Forget exact model)

8572462793_651fa1346f.jpg

8573556052_8e1f43cfdc.jpg

8572462093_f1e203bed4.jpg

A new preamp and a new piece of art work

IMG_4338_zpse254de2b.jpg

IMG_4347_zps3214a414.jpg

IMG_4339_zps2833dea3.jpg

TurntablesPoster.jpg

Linn LP12/Lingo/Cirkus/Trampolinn2/Ittok/Troika/Cambridge Audio 651p
SBT/TTouch/Naim nDac/XPS2
Teddy Pardo PR1/Naim 250/2
Naim SBLs

Here is this years version of my main system. I still have all the stuff from previous versions. I just rotate components in and out.

Turntable: LP12/cirkus, lingo, Ittock, prefix + Teddycap III, Denon DL301
Tuner: Technics ST-9038
Pre: Bryston 0.5B
Amp: Bryston LP2B
DAC: Benchmark DAC1
Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805

Louballoo

system_2013_B_zps33bb236a.jpg

system_2013_C_zps85a9665c.jpg

system_2013_A_zpsbbd0627d.jpg

First post. I thought that posting a few pics of my system would be the best way to introduce myself to the members here. Some great systems here, and beautiful rooms too.

I'm from western Canada and I've been at this crazy hobby for a little over 20 years, and have many times had the good intentions to get off 'the merry-go-round", but there is just so much juicy gear out there.

I'm a source first kinda guy, so lets start there.

Source is a VPI Aries II with a VPI JMW-10.5 tonearm and a Koetsu Urushi Platinum. I also have a second armwand for the JMW-10.5 with a Clearaudio Maestro Wood mounted on it. Powering the Aries motor is a VPI SDS.

P1017413_zps726f3e66.jpg

I've got two different amp chains, one solid-state and one tube. The tube amps consists of an Eastern Electric Minimax along with an Audiomat Prelude Reference. If I had to live with just one setup, this would be it. Both products are very transparent to the source. But since the global economy has yet to collapse, and I can (currently) afford a second set of amps, I've also got some super-sweet-solid-state in the form of a 47 Labs Phonocube and a 47 Labs Shigaraki integrated. If I had to live with just one setup, this....oh wait, I've said that already. The point is, both these setups are good enough to keep me happy long term, but I really can't choose between the two.

P1017414_zpsa4cad90b.jpg

P1017685_zpsd8c52604.jpg

Speakers are a pair of ProAc Studio 140. These are quite easy to drive, almost full range, and have a sweet but fun and 'bubbly' sound. Great value, even over here in Canada.

PA120550-1.jpg

Cables are all Nordost except for the speaker cables which are Speltz Anti-Cables. Power bar is an Isotek Serius, and I've got all sorts of tweaky stuff throughout the system.

That's pretty much all of it. As you can see, I'm a vinyl guy, but I do listen to digital a fair bit outside the house...car, iPod etc, but when I'm home it's analog only!

Thanks for your time....

First post. I thought that posting a few pics of my system would be the best way to introduce myself to the members here. Some great systems here, and beautiful rooms too.

I'm from western Canada and I've been at this crazy hobby for a little over 20 years, and have many times had the good intentions to get off 'the merry-go-round", but there is just so much juicy gear out there.

I'm a source first kinda guy, so lets start there.

Source is a VPI Aries II with a VPI JMW-10.5 tonearm and a Koetsu Urushi Platinum. I also have a second armwand for the JMW-10.5 with a Clearaudio Maestro Wood mounted on it. Powering the Aries motor is a VPI SDS.

P1017413_zps726f3e66.jpg

I've got two different amp chains, one solid-state and one tube. The tube amps consists of an Eastern Electric Minimax along with an Audiomat Prelude Reference. If I had to live with just one setup, this would be it. Both products are very transparent to the source. But since the global economy has yet to collapse, and I can (currently) afford a second set of amps, I've also got some super-sweet-solid-state in the form of a 47 Labs Phonocube and a 47 Labs Shigaraki integrated. If I had to live with just one setup, this....oh wait, I've said that already. The point is, both these setups are good enough to keep me happy long term, but I really can't choose between the two.

P1017414_zpsa4cad90b.jpg

P1017685_zpsd8c52604.jpg

Speakers are a pair of ProAc Studio 140. These are quite easy to drive, almost full range, and have a sweet but fun and 'bubbly' sound. Great value, even over here in Canada.

PA120550-1.jpg

Cables are all Nordost except for the speaker cables which are Speltz Anti-Cables. Power bar is an Isotek Serius, and I've got all sorts of tweaky stuff throughout the system.

That's pretty much all of it. As you can see, I'm a vinyl guy, but I do listen to digital a fair bit outside the house...car, iPod etc, but when I'm home it's analog only!

Thanks for your time....

Hi Waxxy,

Welcome to our little diverse family.

Lovely gear you've there - and being that I own an Audiomat Arpege 10 Reference along with two other tube integrated's, I'm all to aware of what you're hinting at in regards to getting off the bandwagon.

As an avid tweaker sort myself - and one whom also uses Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock Jr's + underneath my WTL GTA and said amps with the Svelte shelf as well - it's nice to see someone else that actually places attention to detail in regards to system resonance control devices.

All, to often it seems to me that most are content spending extremely large amounts of money on their components - yet talk them about Isolation Devices / Platforms from the likes of companies like Shun Mook - Yamamoto Sound Craft - Symposium or those rather odd looking Synergistic Research MIGs and its as if - one is speaking a foreign language or something.

Yet, it's always a pleasure to come across others whom understanding the underlying concept - that each/every component has a resonance point that effects the sound.

Yet, to each his/her own - I love tweaking my system as a means of enhancing it even more so.

Once again - welcome on board and I'll be watching you - so don't slip up.
And we've a lot to talk about in regards to tubes - but we can get to that later.

Be well - and Happy Easter to you and yours from an Ex-Canadian to a still current one.

Regards,
o_O scar

WAXXY,

Just a pic. of the Urushi Platinum would have been enough.......:) I thought I knew thec K range, but I'm not aware of Urushi PLATINUMS. Rosewood Plat's, stone bodied plat's (?), yes. What lacquer does it have, and is the output 0.2 mV (at 3.54 c/sec), same as my Vermillion (roughly)?

Your ProAcs do an injustice to your vinyl front end; d'you fancy buying my Reference Fours? Oh, yes. I forgot, your're across the Pond; oh well !:(

Welcome to the forum.

Lovely but of furniture too waxxy, simple but I think the overhang handles on the drawers give it a real Art Deco elegance, nice room.

Here is this years version of my main system. I still have all the stuff from previous versions. I just rotate components in and out.

Turntable: LP12/cirkus, lingo, Ittock, prefix + Teddycap III, Denon DL301
Tuner: Technics ST-9038
Pre: Bryston 0.5B
Amp: Bryston LP2B
DAC: Benchmark DAC1
Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805

Louballoo

system_2013_B_zps33bb236a.jpg

system_2013_C_zps85a9665c.jpg

system_2013_A_zpsbbd0627d.jpg

Cool.

This is my basic system for now (crap pic via my iPad2 sorry)

b076dc8d3d8b64cf6ea1d1ede0ddf13b_zps440b536e.jpg

As we've just bought our first house the funds are needed there for now!

System is: NAD C320BEE, Acoustic Energy AE109's & music is via my 2012 MacBook Pro, iTunes via an ATV2 and FiiO D3 DAC ;)

Still a fantastic sounding system!

advertisement

Back